It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression Damages Parts of the Brain, Research Concludes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

depression leaves a biochemical scar on your brain

news.softpedia.com...

Personaly info overload .. the fuse blew hard .. can feel it burning
migraine first then more serious
u just live with it
edit on 14-7-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This sounds believable, but I wonder what they would say about those of us who were on anti-depressants and if that had a large impact to it as well? I know I was on those myself and it wasn't until last year that I just stopped taking them completely and changed things around myself. Exercising, taking more vitamins and supplements , as well as wrestling with the dogs. The psychiatrist that I had while seemed nice only gave the impression that she cared that I said "I'm happy, now pill me up!" granted they weren't a lot of money due to insurance; but I just wish at that time I had someone else that cared than my parents. Oh well water under the bridge now and back on track!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiriya

coming of my two buddies
one odded
one ran out on street took my jumperlinks (is it?the cable for car battery) and try to hang her self on a tree day she just stop taking them

What can you do this week to suspend practicality, logic and rationality in service to re -birthing you

edit on 14-7-2015 by Layaly because: what's in the box

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So um, almost anything that affects depression that lifts depression. . .

Nueroscientist with one of my favorite crazy, hairless apes.

Skip to t=46m25s
edit on 14-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I actually conducted a comprehensive research study on the relationship between clinical depression and neuroplasticity. I adduced from a legion of reliable and scholarly work on the subject and I came to the decisive conclusion that depression adversely influences neuroplasticity and in some respects the heightened stress caused by the disorder can also result in reduced hippocampal volume and reduced intelligence.

Depression can easily be alleviated by SSRIs and low-dose-controlled-setting Ketamine. I found that those agents counteract the negative effects of depression and promote neurogenesis and enhance neuroplasticity. Those agents work 80% of the time. So if you want to preserve your intellect I would highly suggest obtaining prescriptions for widely touted SSRIs to negate the adverse effects of the disorder. Because of my research, I am an authority on the subject. If you have any more questions just ask!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumina233

those damned 4 letter bd's, works for those extreme needs.

Ketamine BDNF

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think depression doesn't get a fair shake sometimes. I treat my depression like a good friend as often as possible. When she stops by I answer the door so she doesn't jump through the window, I let her know she needs to take her shoes off and be polite in how she talks to me, etc. In return she often brings gifts when she visits and I can look at the time we spend together after she leaves in a positive light. It's really nice having another friend.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

One of the many, many problems with capitalism is that once Prozac took off, dozens of wanna-be's jumped on board with slightly tweaked variations of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibition, thus perpetuating this notion in psychiatry and medicine with the public that there is always that "right combination" that can somehow be obtained. In other words, it can start up a neverending merry-go-round. Most people don't know how to come off these drugs safely. And some are much worse than others, so a one size fits all approach doesn't always work. For example, Paxil needs to be shaved with a nail filer because it is so potently addictive - over a period of two years or more - without creating a homicidal psychotic breakdown etc.

Either way, once you can get off of them enough that you are feeling as healthy and productive as you can be, then it is definitely water under the bridge. Then the task is to have enough moral support to sort of come to terms with the ordeals, but not to the point that it becomes a religion - then you have become obsessed with it like scientologists!

I just started a natural health product called rhodiola that is supposed to be great for dopamine and serotonin, lowering cortisol and many other things. There are so many natural approaches...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: corsair00

Do you mind if I ask what brand of rhodiola?

I had tried rhodiola years ago and not found it helpful, but since supplements aren't regulated, it's possible I just had an ineffective brand.

Also, I would love for you to PM me, if you notice that it is helping...

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Actually, at the end it says this:

The study in Molecular Psychiatry did not provide detailed data on what percentages of participants were taking psychiatric medications or for how long they may have taken them previously; however, some analysis was included about medication users. "With respect to the moderating effects of medication use, no significant effect of the percentage of patients taking antidepressants was observed, only a trend-wise lower hippocampal volume in MDD patients in samples with a higher percentage of patients taking antidepressants," the study stated.
(.....)
They stated that these differences disappeared when they controlled for depression recurrence, and then concluded that, "(I)ntervention studies with pre- and post-antidepressant treatment comparisons are needed to clarify the impact of antidepressant use on hippocampal volume."

So they found no difference essentially between the those using anti-depressant medications and those who weren't if depression recurrence was controlled for. This suggests recurrence is what's bad.

But their data was limited and other studies have shown a positive affect on the brain from anti-depressant use.

Figuring out what causes recurrence and how to prevent it or reverse its damage seems to be the silver bullet.

Personally I tihnk some people are just more messed up than others. Even with medications they're too messed up. Part of the problem too is personal responsibility is thrown out the window, since "I have depression!" is an easy excuse. Not everyone will fall for it, but sensitive people might. The reverse is also true: sometimes the compelte absence of mental health services can mean depression will destroy people.
edit on 15-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Hey! Long time no see

I was googling various ways to lower cortisol. I finally decided I should take that route, after years of varying insomnia and general lethargy since withdrawing SSRIs (and a bunch of other #). I tried lots of detox, like fasting and bentonite clay, and have definitely started eating well and exercising lots. Of course, too much exercise can also create too much cortisol. There was a new study that came out last year showing how deep REM sleep has been now proven to detox the brain. So people not launching all the way to deep REM or relaxed states of meditation etc are probably swimming in cortisol and adrenaline.

Rhodiola was one of the ones that sounded the most beneficial. I am not sure if it is something that will build up like a medicine or vitamins. I noticed that around bed time I actually yawned and had that oxygen effect, which normally does not happen. I also flickers of colorful dreams with mythical themes - which very rarely happens as well. So it could be working as of only one day of taking it. I will let you know in PM. It is a gel capsule of a powdered version from a company called SISU (might be Canadian)...
edit on 2015-07-15T22:17:05-05:002015Wed, 15 Jul 2015 22:17:05 -050005pm17Wed, 15 Jul 2015 22:17:05 -050000 by corsair00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: corsair00

One of the many, many problems with capitalism is that once Prozac took off, dozens of wanna-be's jumped on board with slightly tweaked variations of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibition, thus perpetuating this notion in psychiatry and medicine with the public that there is always that "right combination" that can somehow be obtained. In other words, it can start up a neverending merry-go-round. Most people don't know how to come off these drugs safely. And some are much worse than others, so a one size fits all approach doesn't always work. For example, Paxil needs to be shaved with a nail filer because it is so potently addictive - over a period of two years or more - without creating a homicidal psychotic breakdown etc.

Either way, once you can get off of them enough that you are feeling as healthy and productive as you can be, then it is definitely water under the bridge. Then the task is to have enough moral support to sort of come to terms with the ordeals, but not to the point that it becomes a religion - then you have become obsessed with it like scientologists!

I just started a natural health product called rhodiola that is supposed to be great for dopamine and serotonin, lowering cortisol and many other things. There are so many natural approaches...

I think that was the main problem it was the same way when I was moving from Senior year of High school into college and was on ADHD medication as well. I was on at least three of those with two sending me to the hospital and the other I just bit the bullet and stayed on because I was tired of the "testing". The moment I came off though I was far from feeling "healthy" though I was more PO'd at my status of life and everything around me that I just stopped cold turkey. I'm sure I could have done a different approach but I think I was just so tired, stressed and frustrated. Now it feels like forever but I don't have the dips and such that I did on my anti-depressant; but then again I am no longer in the same situation that I once was. I think what I would fear most is being on another despite it being "better" I don't think I could see myself doing it again.

originally posted by: Layaly

coming of my two buddies
one odded
one ran out on street took my jumperlinks (is it?the cable for car battery) and try to hang her self on a tree day she just stop taking them

What can you do this week to suspend practicality, logic and rationality in service to re -birthing you

Wait now what? For some reason this post flew over my head and I guess I don't fully understand it?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Wait now what? For some reason this post flew over my head and I guess I don't fully understand it?

I was just saying two of my good friends stop taking antidepressants

that was the result.. the very same day

they said they felt like zombies for not feeling Anything
so they stoped their meds

the same day one tried to overdose and one tried to hang them selves
is a personal story (friends)

but working in nutrition (before) heard these stories multiple times
I don't believe I ever heard a success story with anti depressants.
meaning no one in 5 yers ever walked up to me..

just add *(we treated all.. had alternative medicine practitioners and multiple stores)
my point is i think in 5years I encountered one person almost ech day talking about depression

none said: I am on prescription and feel great

but it is like .also there is not much that you can do either
at that point in time
edit on 16-7-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

Ah okay that makes a bit more sense, I had to read and re-read that and still didn't get the full state of the picture so figured I would ask. Yeah I'm sure some anti-depressants work for some people but for a large portion I believe it does a lot more harm than good; and when trying to get off of them it can be even worse downright scary even.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

it really hurts still
to talk about
if I lost them
sorry for the vague
thank you for your story

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Layaly
a reply to: Reverbs

depression leaves a biochemical scar on your brain

news.softpedia.com...

Personaly info overload .. the fuse blew hard .. can feel it burning
migraine first then more serious
u just live with it

actually thank you for that link. I will look more into that. For me though, I have re wired things.
there are hints in this thread.. too many already on how I did it.

If anyone wants to know, look into how returning veterans from the Army or Marines are using edible objects to go through sessions with doctors and heal themselves. I purposefully went through hell.. A slightly different method.. I Sort of psychologically journeyed into my soul..

Main thing I want people to know is being happy, for real not fake happy.. That changes your brain chemistry. It's not enough alone. Using sun light and other means... Get all the good vitamins you can think of..

Eat better.. Including fats..

Don't beat yourself up for being depressed.
Whoever you are reading this..

your brain can get better.

I have only known a few people who took SSRIs and it helped them. Others it makes them feel dead. But the people I have seen them work for are really happy now and it does good. Other people it's Very bad..

I've never tried them, or any drug from a doctor really. Other ones, I know all about.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

Oh I understand and sadly lost a few from that as well. Sorry that you had to recount that and remember and you are certainly welcome. Before I used to not want to look back on it but now I just can't help but do so.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!….. I’ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work
information Health tips

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I just ordered a new peptide to try out. It's not meant specifically for depression, but if it causes me to sleep like a baby for a while, it'll probably help out.

It's called epitalon (epithalamin) and stimulates the pineal gland, while increasing telomerase, thereby lengthening telomeres and secreting melatonin.

Should be interesting experiment, if nothing else looking forward to the wicked intense dreams.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Depression does not damage the brain. Depression is the result of the Hippocampus and Hypothalamus being damaged by neurological weapons developed by the pentagon during the 80s and vastly used nowadays by the CIA and NSA, as well as all other EU/NATO intelligence agencies and spies. To be more precise they use nanotechnology, in the forms of nanoparticles being put in your food, or sprayed in the air through chemtrails. Additionally they use electromagnetic waves from GSM antennae and WiFi routers to hit those nanoparticles and make them behave as an antenna These technologies are used for population control and mind control. They can induce sleepiness to stop angry crowds, or can produce extremely violent behaviour of the target. The "target" is the same target of espionage as described by Snowden in The PRISM documentation. They spy and then they strike (or at least they try)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join