It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another scientist, this one a Nobel winner, says Obama is dead wrong about climate change

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"physicians" did it for me 😉

a reply to: grimpachi

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: hydeman11

Howdy,

Woah now... Are you trying to suggest that just because this DR. of science (physics) learned what he knows about climate change online he is unqualified to discuss climate change? It's like you're trying to argue that if I had a doctorate in physics, I would be unqualified to perform heart surgery or something. Don't be ridiculous, plenty of people get heart surgery from Physicsians.

Also, do please look around you grimpachi. You don't need any fancy degree (in climate sciences or not) to discuss climate, you can find all that stuff online.

Now, as scientifically literate people, we should aknowledge this famous talking head's credentials as a Nobel Laureate, ignore scientific scrutiny of his work, and accept his opinion on a topic outside of his field on the basis of his Authority.

I am severely disappointed in your implications, sir.

Sincere regards,
Hydeman

Aha! You must be talking about Al Gore

Like Grimps said, subtle.
edit on 9-7-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Sounds like he's cashing checks from Exxon.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

As opposed to checks from the left??

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Which would be from...?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Howdy,

Woah now... Are you trying to suggest that just because this DR. of science (physics) learned what he knows about climate change online he is unqualified to discuss climate change? It's like you're trying to argue that if I had a doctorate in physics, I would be unqualified to perform heart surgery or something. Don't be ridiculous, plenty of people get heart surgery from Physicsians.

Also, do please look around you grimpachi. You don't need any fancy degree (in climate sciences or not) to discuss climate, you can find all that stuff online.

Now, as scientifically literate people, we should aknowledge this famous talking head's credentials as a Nobel Laureate, ignore scientific scrutiny of his work, and accept his opinion on a topic outside of his field on the basis of his Authority.

Sincere regards,
Hydeman

Anyone could earn a doctorate degree in climatology....anyone. A locomotive engineer from India was Director of the IPCC until he had to resign due to "legal issues" . He did not have any degrees associated , but yet was the head of the very group pressing man-made global warming. You know , the UN self appointed world saviors ?
edit on 9-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

Read up on him. Yeah , I believe what they say .....not....absolutely not

edit on 9-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Howdy,

I feel like you are totally correct on that statement. Plant growth will likely increase with more CO2 in the atmosphere. Hopefully the droughts and floods stop by the time we reach optimal growth rates, though. Darn severe weather pattern fluctuations. I think I found a scientific source that agrees with your argument for increased plant growth with increasing CO2 levels, too. I'll try to link it.

naldc.nal.usda.gov...

Sincere regards,
Hydeman

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The burgeoning green industry. Alternate energy developers. Alternate energy investors. Any and every anti-capitalist group under the sun. The possibilities are as unlimited as they are the other way...just saying...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

How many of them in the top 10 of the fortune 500?

Last time I checked 4-5 oil companies were there.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I am not a big advocate for AGW, but this is kind of like saying "Obama, a noble prize winner, said Guns are bad" and thinking that would carry some weight. I don't see this guys opinion as any more informed than anyone else.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

True.

Even within that industry there's the 'bio-diesel' investors. the ethanol fuel crowd that has a vested interest in maintaining
the trend.

Add in the natural gas and electrical producing utilities out there and a broader picture can be painted....

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Howdy,

Sincere regards,
Hydeman

And yet ... I'm sure both lauded the Pope and praised his depth and breadth of scientific knowledge for having a Masters in Chemistry when he came out in support of the "proper" side of the issue.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Oh... the fledgling alternative energies market, that would exist with or without climate change because people don't like fracking quakes and oil spills and chopped off mountain tops, is buying off scientists? Anti-capitalists are funding them too? Through what, gofundme?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
First, I haven't read any of the comments - so please pardon any duplication. Second, whilst looking at the links and following a few, I wasnt' impressed with the 'sources'. I was unwilling to watch his 30 minute video (I can scan a transcript pretty fast but none was provided) so I'm unable to determine the context in which the sound bite was used. I'll assume that he was sincere in his opinion and that he wasn't paid for it.

The man is not a climatetologist, or a meterologist, nor in any field that studies these things. His area of expertise is apparently materials.

His Nobel prize was for (from en.wikipedia.org...)

Giaever's share of the prize was specifically for his "experimental discoveries regarding tunnelling phenomena in superconductors".[2]

And his background is interesing:

Giaever earned a degree in mechanical engineering from the Norwegian Institute of Technology in Trondheim in 1952. In 1954, he emigrated from Norway to Canada, where he was employed by the Canadian division of General Electric. He moved to the United States four years later, joining General Electric's Corporate Research and Development Center in Schenectady, New York, in 1958. He has lived in Niskayuna, New York, since then, taking up US citizenship in 1964. While working for General Electric, Giaever earned a Ph.D. at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1964.

So I would not put his opinion on equal footing with a scientist that has made a study of climate/enviromental studies nor one with such an extensive history with General Electric (does anyone remeber "Beware the Generals").

Now, please do continue congratulating yourself and the good work that you do.
edit on 9-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Anyone could earn a doctorate degree in climatology....anyone.

Cool story, then it should be easy to find a lot of them that hold the same opinion against climate change.

Crickits...

A locomotive engineer from India was Director of the IPCC until he had to resign due to "legal issues" . He did not have any degrees associated , but yet was the head of the very group pressing man-made global warming.

Are you sure???

Read up on him. Yeah , I believe what they say .....not....absolutely not

Good idea. I think I will.

Rajendra K. Pachauri, Ph.D., was elected the Chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change in April 2002 and reelected by acclamation in 2008. The IPCC was established
by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environment Programme in
An economist and industrial engineer by training, Dr. Pachauri has been actively involved with
energy and climate issues
for nearly 40 years. He wrote his first book about energy in 1975 and
co-edited his first book about climate change in 1992. He has participated in numerous
international forums dealing with the subject of climate change and its policy dimensions and
has an extensive academic career addressing the same issues. He has co-authored 130
papers, a large number of which are peer-reviewed, and written or co-written 27 books, most of
them about energy and the environment.

Dr. Pachauri is also head of TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), which he joined in
1982, first as Director and, since April 2001, as Director-General. TERI conducts original
research and provides knowledge about energy, the environment, forestry, biotechnology and
natural resource conservation to governments, institutions and corporate organizations
worldwide.
In January 2008, the President of India awarded him the “Padma Vibhushan”, India’s secondhighest
civilian honor, for his services in the field of science and engineering. To acknowledge
his contributions to the field of the environment, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the
President of India in January 2001. He was also bestowed the ‘Officier De La Légion
D’Honneur’ by the Government of France in 2006; the 'Commander of the Order of Leopold II'
by the King of Belgians in July 2009; the 'Commander of the Order of the White Rose of Finland'
by the Prime Minister of Finland in February 2010, 'The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver
Star' by His Majesty Akihito, Emperor of Japan in April 2010 and Mexican Order of the 'Aztec
Eagle' by the President of Mexico in June, 2012. In July 2013, he was conferred with the Pico
della Mirandola Prize by the Foundation Cassa di Risparmio di Mirandola.

After a short managerial career at the Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi, India, Dr. Pachauri
enrolled in North Carolina State University (USA), where he earned a Master’s degree in
Industrial Engineering in 1972 and a Ph.D. with co-majors in Industrial Engineering and
Economics in 1974. He also served as Assistant Professor (August 1974-May 1975) and
Visiting Faculty Member (Summer 1976 and 1977) in the University’s Department of Economics
and Business.
Dr. Pachauri has held numerous academic positions and was the Founding Director of the Yale
(University) Climate and Energy Institute (YCEI) from July 2009 through June 2012, following
which he was appointed Senior Adviser to YCEI. He is also currently Professor in the Practice of
Sustainable Development at the Yale School of Forestry & Environment Studies, Honorary
Professor of the University of Eastern Finland, and Chancellor of TERI University.
His former
academic posts include the following samples:

Err.. I thought you said he was just a locomotive engineer and it says he started out as a manager of Deisel Locomotive works, but that was before 1972 when he earned his PHD in Industrial Engineering.

You should really read up on him it is pretty impressive. R K Pachauri

Is it possible you are referring to someone else?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: hydeman11

You need a sarcasm flag to go with that - well said - borrow mine:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

You can actually say both sides aren't, to some extent, money driven? Really?

What's fledgling about the Utilities that supply the electricity?

If you can actually post that one side has a vested interest and 'pay' debunkers and not the other then I suggest a reality check.

As the scientist, and a number of others, have stated, it violates PC to comment on the scientific contradictions to climate change. Prestige lost. Scorn heaped. Peer shunning. Apparently even jobs lost.

This scientist has stepped out, despite the inevitable counter attacks, and voiced his beliefs in the face of the opposition.

I, for one, respect that and give him credence.

I expected your response and others like it, as well. Not much different than what he's getting.

I feel that I am in good company...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is a classic case of the Proof By Intimidation Fallacy.

He's a Nobel winner...
So we must agree...

Well I beg to differ, because so is Obama, lest you've forgotten...

And neither of them won in the field of environmental work...

But look at the ones who have...
Hmmmm, they seem to agree that climate change is a problem, a real dilemma...

Off topic, I apologise, but who else remembers dilemma being spelt with two M's???
I don't. Strange.

Back on topic...
Proof By Intimidation...

I'd rather believe the crazy weather patterns in London the last few years.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The truth fairy!!!

Lulz.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Again from you a banter of words. If you go to a school for locomotive engineering , what does that make you ? See any DEGREES that have something to do with climatology ? Just because he served on committees DOES NOT mean he had any degrees.And from what I read and you copied from wiki , he did not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join