It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey brains linked together in "brainet"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Scientists have linked together multiple monkey brains, and trained them to perform synchronised tasks.

I can't explain it nearly as well as the article, but this freaks me out.

I'm not a Luddite, I am pro science and most experimentation, but utilizing humans is clearly the next step.
There are ethical and moral quandaries here that I can't begin to fathom.

Is this the future...human brains linked into a neural net all over the planet?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnight4444

This is Where it Is Going....

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Damn, we'll all end up being monkeys in the net at this rate.

In the future may be those in boring jobs can have their consciousness' switched off and become a very dexterous robot, much more stable than those Japanese machines. Job done, switch back on and feel like ya was just having a snooze!

Zzzzzzzz!!!

I don't like them being cruel to monkeys. Science performed with such dark rituals of torment and sacrifice can only bring about dark inventions. Then again I'm just a nature savage. I don't like where the developed world is heading in many respects, but one thing for certain, there is no stopping invention.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That episode where his father was like GIsuperJoegenius, until he ate everyone's brains, but maybe still the case. I think one day being zombie maybe best.

/////

Simpsons aside, we ate cows, dogs, turkeys, and do all sorts of attrocities to our fellow man. Hey, plants have feelings, I heard last decade. Guess that makes us all predators. It's nice to pretend play nice, but I'm all for some advancement. If not here, elsewhere will be done. We might have clear skies now, but China supplies us cheap goods and coughs up a storm. Risk is inevitable, profitable, and worth it in someone's mind. Game on.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
That's so appalling that I don't know where to begin...

I know, here's as start. Let's link the brains of the Scientists involved in this experiment and see if we can teach them synchronised ethics.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Midnight4444
www.newscientist.com...

Is this the future...human brains linked into a neural net all over the planet?

You just described the internet so as with anything else, nothing new under the sun.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I'm accepting of animal experimentation, but I'm having trouble finding the human benefits of this technology.
Maybe someone with a more tech oriented mind can explain to me how this sort of link would be advantageous for human society...that is if they can avoid being thrown into this mental human centipede.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Organ donations for the too funky to handle.

Okay so alien invasion, 9.2billion, except better to sacrifice a billion or two and have GIsueperJoeGeniuses battle hardened and a tiny chance.
edit on 9-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

I understand your point, but this is more than people at linked computers. This is direct brain connection, I can't place it in the same category.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Midnight4444
a reply to: Revolution9

I'm accepting of animal experimentation, but I'm having trouble finding the human benefits of this technology.
Maybe someone with a more tech oriented mind can explain to me how this sort of link would be advantageous for human society...that is if they can avoid being thrown into this mental human centipede.

To pilot Jaegers in defense of Earth against the tyranny of the Kaiju of course.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
it might be more possible than sounds like, not here of course but somewhere else

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I personally know people who would say that this is the next step in human consciousness, that we are meant to be one collective mind and that this is a good thing; we should all go right out and do it. I have my doubts about that...to me it is opening the door to human enslavement, a la The Matrix. Come to think of it, human enslavement seems to be the running theme this week. "I didn't choose the Borg life; the Borg life chose me."? Kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? *shudder*

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

I personally know people who would say that this is the next step in human consciousness, that we are meant to be one collective mind and that this is a good thing; we should all go right out and do it. I have my doubts about that...to me it is opening the door to human enslavement, a la The Matrix. Come to think of it, human enslavement seems to be the running theme this week. "I didn't choose the Borg life; the Borg life chose me."? Kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? *shudder*

Perhaps, and I'm not even saying this is bad, just so far outside of my experience that I can't judge it.
Hopefully resistance is not futile.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

Imagine the pop up ads and viruses. Assuming somewhat individualized control, your whole consciousness could be brainjacked (as if Facebook, Vine, Tumblr, and Reddit haven't already begun the process).

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
One world, one nation, one mind. All that's missing is the mark of the beast.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

I'm imagining the group brain deciding not to let an individual feed himself, or hydrate to the point of death.
Would you even know you were being murdered?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

Or what if the group mind directs an individual body to kill or to do some other criminal task. Is the body guilty, or the mind. And if it is multiple minds working together, which of the minds are guilty...could a dissenter even exist under the weight of so many contrary minds?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Perhaps, and I'm not even saying this is bad, just so far outside of my experience that I can't judge it.
Hopefully resistance is not futile.

Yeah...I am not even going to try to think about the implications too much because I need input from someone with a better understanding of this to keep my imagination from running away with me. This is really disturbing to me, more so than I would have thought, for some reason. And yes, hopefully you are right.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

One world, one nation, one mind. All that's missing is the mark of the beast.

That's not missing...it just has not been revealed yet
All things in due time.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Assuming a matrixesque scenario. In the future, who needs a body once you're hooked up to the Earthnet? Cloud computing is still being pushed hard; it would no doubt be pushed in a simulated reality future as well. Bodies would be replaced with servers, just hope the UPS is plugged in.

The process has already begun and is slowly moving into such a future. We've got augmented reality right now, we're just fiddling with that until virtual reality is standardized as an entertainment medium, and eventually we'll move on to simulated reality. The more ingrained tech is in our society, the closer we come to being one with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join