It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok...personal question here for anyone that really knows Tunisia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am putting this here because it is relevant to my personal question on the matter.

Without getting into all the details, my Ex wife and I have a 8 year old daughter. We have been divorced for a while but get along amicably.

My ex just yesterday married a guy that is from Tunisia, somewhere on the coast/beach front. His family all lives there and are all Muslim. She and her new husband got married here in the states. He travels home to Tunisia numerous times during the year and now my ex is going to visit his family for 3 weeks.

My concern is not really for her, but for my daughter should anything bad happen. My ex is from a very small town in Mississippi and VERY naive about worldly travels. I fear that she would make an easy target for anyone out to do harm and will definitely stand out like a sore thumb with pale skin, red hair and green eyes...she is about as american tourist deer in the headlights as you can get.

So....the UK has issued a travel warning now and are cancelling flights and recalling anyone from the UK that is there.

She is supposed to travel there in a week and a half or so. I have asked her how she feels about it and she said her new husband has said she will be fine as long as she is with his family and she may have to cover up a bit....no problem...that is up to her, but should I warn her anymore than I already have, or push for her not to go at this point for any reason? I would really hate for something to happen to her and have to tell our daughter about it or something.

Anywho....I have traveled a lot in my life, all over the world, and I would not go to Tunisia myself right now....just seems like a stupid risk.

Anyone with actual experience there lately that can chime in would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have no experience but would suggest you see what the US(I presume?) embassy has to say on safety for citizens and relay that information to your ex.

I understand your concern as I also have a child of a similar age who lives with his mother and can empathise.

I think that the recent incident may as you proberbly know have been a one off and security at present for US citizens will be at it's best right now.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I take it the daughter isn't going? No offense intended at all, but that would be priority one for me (as I'm sure it is for you as well). All you can do for your ex is advise her and perhaps provide her with embassy numbers.

I do believe, however, that her new husband is probably correct. His family will ensure her safety and ensure she is aware of local customs and traditions.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I take it the daughter isn't going? No offense intended at all, but that would be priority one for me (as I'm sure it is for you as well). All you can do for your ex is advise her and perhaps provide her with embassy numbers.

I do believe, however, that her new husband is probably correct. His family will ensure her safety and ensure she is aware of local customs and traditions.

No...I would not let her bring my daughter to Tunisia and have told her such. I hold her passport and she is not able to get it re-issued without my consent, so until she is 18 she won't be going anywhere I don't approve.

I think the same of his family....I also think she is in for a rude awakening....she is a strong willed feminist and will likely have a big problem with having to hide herself....either way....she is an adult and can make her own decisions.

I did what I could by talking to her about it, but just wanted to find out if anyone has more relevant information on the area after the UK has now issued their warning.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The Tunisian people are great and will take great care of them. My advice would be at this time is to stay away from tourist areas which does not seem to be a problem in this case. Since they are with locals they will be fine. Terror groups are looking for big concentrations of foreigners. There are plenty of American and European ex pats living in Tunisia who do not have any problems.

So while this alert is going on avoiding touristy areas would be a good idea, although the security in those places right now is very tight so even they are pretty safe. Among the locals they will be fine. Culture dictates that they do everything they can to take care of guest. I have been in some of the worst places on Earth and as long a you are with locals you are in good hands.

So my advice would be to tell her do whatever the local family members tell her to do. They will have a better idea what is safe and what is not than anybody. Avoiding tourist areas packed with Westerners would be a good idea and checking in with US Embassy a letting them know they are there is also a good idea. While not an ideal time to travel to Tunisia take comfort in the fact that right now the country is on high alert and that is normally when terror groups go to ground and wait for things to cool down. Second the Tunisian people will do everything they can for them if the need should arise. And third being among the locals makes the much much safer so long as the follow their advice.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Much appreciated. Apparently his family is all near the beach where the recent shooting happened. That is where they grew up...it is supposed to be a fairly wealthy area I believe. I think if she stick close to them it will be all good...hopefully her hard headed self won't come out and decide she knows best.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Not to alarm you or anything mate, but this was released about an hour ago:

Brits Told To Leave Tunisia Amid Terror Warning

Britons in Tunisia have been told to leave the country as the Foreign Office warns more terror attacks are "highly likely" after last month's beach shootings. Extra flights are being put on to bring tourists home and two holiday companies, Thomson and First Choice, are returning their staff to the UK. The Foreign Office said Britons should leave unless they definitely have to stay, adding that people planning to travel there should not unless it was "essential".

Not sure what the American official stance on tourism/travel is

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Shamrock6

No...I would not let her bring my daughter to Tunisia and have told her such. I hold her passport and she is not able to get it re-issued without my consent, so until she is 18 she won't be going anywhere I don't approve.

I think the same of his family....I also think she is in for a rude awakening....she is a strong willed feminist and will likely have a big problem with having to hide herself....either way....she is an adult and can make her own decisions.

I did what I could by talking to her about it, but just wanted to find out if anyone has more relevant information on the area after the UK has now issued their warning.

The Tunisians are pretty liberal for a Muslim state. While strolling down main street in a bikini would get some comments for the most part women can dress as they wish. It was illegal to wear the traditional Hijab until recently but, has been legalized for the most part. Muslim women who wear short skirts and such can expect to be harassed by more conservative men on occasion. The women are well educated and about 30% of them work. And they have a pretty strong feminist movement. Ad to that being a democracy and you see why Tunisia is such a big western vacation destination and also why it is a target for extremist.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: MrSpad

Much appreciated. Apparently his family is all near the beach where the recent shooting happened. That is where they grew up...it is supposed to be a fairly wealthy area I believe. I think if she stick close to them it will be all good...hopefully her hard headed self won't come out and decide she knows best.

Yeah not listening to them would be a bad idea. And as long as you let the embassy know where they are they will alert them if any trouble occurs and come get them if needed. However being with a local family is as about as safe as you can get. Now I am not saying you should not try and talk them out of going but, if they go they should be as safe as they can get. And if the family thought their would be a problem they would likely suggest they wait to visit as well. You might want to call the embassy and see what they suggest.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I never meet person from Tunisia and I never been there, but... womans are not welcome in Islam. Only as a wife, house keeper or sex slave. You should ask her, how many wifes he have in Tunisia. Your daughter will be have hard times. In Islam man is God in home. If he is hard Islam believer as his family, he will force Your exwife and Your dauther to convert on Islam.

It is just my worts case scenario but I heard about lot of polish womans used like that.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
not to make you feel any more paranoid but have you heard of the movie "not without my daughter" starring sally fields and alfred molina? sorry i probably did make you more paranoid, hell i'm paranoid for you!!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Vasa, seriously, dont let your daugther go,dont dont dont.
i speak from personal experience.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: residentofearth

I never meet person from Tunisia and I never been there, but... womans are not welcome in Islam. Only as a wife, house keeper or sex slave. You should ask her, how many wifes he have in Tunisia. Your daughter will be have hard times. In Islam man is God in home. If he is hard Islam believer as his family, he will force Your exwife and Your dauther to convert on Islam.

It is just my worts case scenario but I heard about lot of polish womans used like that.

Women in Tunisia have jobs, are educated, can dress how they want and you can only have one wife. Every country is different. Islam is as diverse as Christianity. You should visit Tunisia it would open your eye about your distorted view of Islam.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Dasrobot

I have to agree with You. If his exwife is naive, that foreigner knows it. Tunisia is not a safe place for mother with child.

All best to You Vasa

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: residentofearth

Women in Tunisia have jobs, are educated, can dress how they want and you can only have one wife. Every country is different. Islam is as diverse as Christianity. You should visit Tunisia it would open your eye about your distorted view of Islam.

Yeah, I do not have to visit Tunisia to get my eyes opened. Sure not every muslim is a bad guy.
edit on Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:52:07 -0500America/Chicago075209America/Chicago7312015f by residentofearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It appears the US has issued a travel warning here today. Wonder if there is word of something else about to happen there.

Source

The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the risks of travel to Tunisia and recommends that U.S. citizens in Tunisia maintain a high level of vigilance in light of recent terrorist attacks on sites frequented by tourists. The Tunisian government has shown its commitment to addressing security concerns and has visibly augmented its security presence at tourist locations, but challenges remain. On July 4, President Caid Essebsi declared a 30-day state of emergency that grants security forces more authority to maintain civil order, enabling the government to focus on combating terrorism. The Minister of Interior stated on July 6 that the state of emergency will assist in securing the hotels and tourist areas. This Travel Alert expires on August 31, 2015.

So I found out the areas that they are staying are Hammamet and Tunis.....anyone know anything more specific on those areas? I believe Hammamet is close to the shooting that just happened.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hi Vasa, I am a Canadian female in neighbouring Algeria. I have been here back and forth for 6 years, and just last Friday ISIS killed 9 Algerian soldiers and injured 2. My dog was brutally murdered last week during Ramadan for no apparent reason. I personally do not feel safe here, and I can tell you local or not, there are some very primitive mentalities, justice does not exist as in any real courts of law, and I myself am leaving in the next month. I no longer feel safe at all, bad people literally get away with murder here and I do think things are going to get worse. As a woman, having that naive outlook years ago, I can tell you that I hope she does cover not to draw attention, Islam is conservative, lots of stares and looks daily, and all it takes is one bad person to kidnap her which happens alot here. 4 Italians were kidnapped today in Libya. It is dangerous if your going to play being a high and mighty feminist. Peace Vasa, I hope this helped.

top topics

join