It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you like your job? is it mentally/physically hard?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
hey all.
no need to go into detail on what you do or where you work. im just curious about this.
today was my first day at my new spot. i was nervous of course. not sure of whats what..

anyway, i have to say that this job is gravy.
i honestly dont understand how they pay what they pay for the department i am in....

im in quality. have been in quality for a long time(got laid off a few months back and went back into the auto shop)...

so, they started me out at 65 cents less per hour than what i was making at my last quality job and it took me 3 years to get to that wage. so i am 65 cents under that in my first day.
there is more brain work to this one over the last but it is gravy....

i know there is more to it than what i saw today but its gonna be gravy too. i know the guy at the desk beside me. we worked together at the other spot. he got laid off long before i did and has been at the new spot. he has been filling me in about it and he said what you see is it. no hidden, crazy #.
i lucked out cause when i went to apply at this place, this guy was walking out the door to go on break so he turned around and walked back in and threw my name out there. it worked cause i got it.

he told me before i even started that about 50% of the job is out on the floor with the mics and calipers. checking ID. checking OD. verifying heat treats and such. about 30% of the job is in the office writing reports and such. interplant emails and things like that. about 20% is making myself available to people on the production floor. checking their work and so on.

so i have to say i dig the job and i dig the pay. mon-fri 7-3:30
at the end of the month if you have not missed a day or clocked in or out late you get a $50 bonus on your check. every pay period(bi weekly) if you have not missed any days or clocked in or out late you get 1.5 hours of paid time off.

just curious about others.
do you like your job? does it suck? it is demanding in any way?

just feel like chatting.

thanks
edit on 9-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

I worked a long long time as a Tool and Die Maker/Machinist. Ran many, many machines and made parts from 50' all the way down to .025" big. Ran Wire EDMs, Mills, Lathes, VTLs, etc. Programmed on Mastercam, Gibbs, Pro-E, Esprit and more. Hated every minute of it. Took me a long time to get out of it to be honest. I started up my own tool distribution business, selling end mills, taps, drills, coolant, MRO, etc. Been doing that for awhile now, slowly building up a customer base. I also start a new job next week as a Technical Recruiter for a staffing agency to help supplement my income as I grow my business. Great pay, better than any machine shop I ever worked in, + a huge commission structure, which is nice. I haven't been happier since I left the shop floor. I advocate heavily for people to get into the skilled trades though, because even while I hated it, I made a great income that allowed me to further advance myself all while supporting my family. Still have a ways to go before I get to where I want to be, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

you selling tooling and inserts and such for cnc's?

i always had a hard time getting proper tooling for the haas

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

edit double post
edit on 9-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I look at it this way, if you truly like your job then you don't really have one.

I had nice little blue collar job working for a commercial electrical corporation for most of my twenties. 12 hour days, got paid for 8. Was constantly threatened with being let go or fired, all the while being told I was the hardest worker they had. Drove my own truck, while people I was "responsible for" always had some form of company vehicle at there disposal, made more money somehow while arriving later and leaving earlier than I ever did.

...yeah.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What I do is nitpicky, tedious and anal, but I actually don't mind doing it. Oh, I forgot repetitive.

It's the kind of job where the new people either stick and last long-term or they break, sometimes before the first day is up, because it drives them that crazy.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

that sounds great. You aren't tied to the same task over and over, have a bit of freedom of movement, get to collaborate with others...that is a great job to have.

I love my job. Its is mentally exhausting. The job itself is difficult, but i also have the issue of having no experience in what i do (not even entry level stuff), but being the guy in charge. It is incredibly stressful, but everyday it gets better as i learn more and more.

I can do whatever i want, whenever i want. Im only accountable to results, which are well beyond expectation and have gotten our company various and sundry awards and broad level exposure.

I don't have to do the same thing over and over, although there is some repetition. For the most part i spend 3-4 hours a day doing the daily, repetitive stuff. The other 8 or so hours is problem solving. The most common 3 words spoken to me: "How do i....?"

I don't make lots of money....but i am living the dream.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I enjoy my job (Sales Management) it is not particularly strenuous on a physical level unless you count weekly travel.

Mentally it is fun as I am responsible for a $40 million P&L/Budget and manage around 40+ people. I usually have high-level strategy meetings with various principals and executives and get to see the country at the same time.

Plus we went public last year and yours truly helped ring the stock market bell along with some other co-workers.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am a mining engineer. Working 4 days on 3 days a little over and hour and a half from home.
I sleep here at the camp set up for the workers during the week. 3 hot meals served a day. And the kitchen is open 24/7 if i feel like a snack at some point.
I have a lot of responsibility in my department, but i have a good team so we are always on the ball. I have the best of both worlds, i spend half the day in my office and the other half underground.
I actually find myself looking forward to coming to work at times.
Been here for 5 years and hope to be here till retirement in 32 years to come... Or i stop spending my money on everything i see and retire early.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My husband wears the pants in our family when it comes to jobs.

His job is mentally demanding. He has to be familiar for the regulatory regimes of all the company's principal markets and how they apply to all the company products which means keeping tabs on over 100 different vaccines, which markets they go to, which tests they should be getting, which lots are where in the production and quality control testing process, etc.

Additionally, because he has the widest experience in all of the different labs and depts. of QC and the best understanding of the "big picture," he is the acknowledged "Wolf" of the dept and is usually the one called on to tackle the "special projects" no one else either wants or has the knowledge and expertise to handle.

He's high enough up the ladder that people at corporate and other branches call him for advise. He's also, unfortunately, high enough up that if he makes the wrong call it could mean personal litigation, even jail time.
edit on 9-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
...which means keeping tabs on over 100 different vaccines...

Jenny McCarthy asked for your personal address.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Iv'e never had a job. I have always started companies, LLCs, worked hard made them profitable and then sold them.
Iv'e owned retail stores, had a design/ manufacturing business and still own an operate a flyfishing guide and outfitting service and have a video production studio. I have a staff of 8 people and we are more of a family with honor and respect of everyone, with the common goal of making a lot of money.
I don't think I would do well with a boss telling me what to do. That's not exactly true as I am currently a Union SAG/AFTRA actor and an IATSE crew on movie sets.

I started my first business while still in school, after taking a class at University in entrepreneurship; fixing up rental property for real estate people/ property managers.

My success I owe to all my past and present employees. I hired good people, paid them extremely well and established common goals.
edit on 9-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...which means keeping tabs on over 100 different vaccines...

Jenny McCarthy asked for your personal address.

I didn't know she was a pig ...

He works in animal pharmaceutical.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Jim Carrey would like it now too...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Jim Carrey would like it now too...

Are you hinting that I implied something?

Seriously, they sell a ton of swine vaccine.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I cook at a couple of bars, for not very much money (more than minimum, though). At one, it's usually a one man job and I'm the (wo)man for the job! I like the freedom from corporate BS. I like the sweating and the running. I love the flopping down with an ice cold water and a smoke (yeahyeah) after an 'endless' rush.

I love putting on my half frozen shirt that I washed in the dishwasher and then 'dried' in the freezer (in the summer when it's 942 degrees in there in July), lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
thanks for the replies all.
i like hearing about what people do.

its cool how one person could love doing something and another not like it at all.

just shows how diverse people can be.

even look at the first post after mine. that person hated the machine shop. i love being in the shop.

hilarious about drying a shirt in the freezer.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I think I have the best job in the world--teacher. I love working with the students. What drives me crazy is the way the state education department runs things. I know they have reasons for the things they do, but sometimes it seems that the state people want to make our jobs as difficult as possible.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yes, my Job is Physically,Mentally and Creatively Draining... but not necessarily in a bad way and i love it, it is my life

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

you selling tooling and inserts and such for cnc's?

i always had a hard time getting proper tooling for the haas

Yes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join