It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain instructs all tourists in Tunisia to leave, terrorist threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued an alert advising all British Nationals in Tunisia to leave the country, stating that further terrorist attack is "highly likely"

All British nationals are being urged to leave Tunisia as a further terrorist attack is "highly likely", Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said. Mr Hammond said there was no suggestion of a "specific or imminent threat", but said the Foreign Office was advising against all non-essential travel there.

Britons warned to leave Tunisia after beach attack

Two weeks after the attack which killed 30 British citizens, the government has now instructed all British citizens to leave the country. While they state that there is no specific information, it's reasonable to believe that the security services have some reason to believe that a threat exists, which didn't exist previously.

Even after the attack there was no instruction for all to leave, so the threat right now seems to be more credible.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Yeah I saw this on sky news. It sucks for the Tunisian people but the government need to make sure its citizens are safe i guess. I wonder if they have intel about more planned attacks.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

To me this falls under the heading of "better late than never ".

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think they've issued a warning for Egypt too.
www.express.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That sucks,but it had to be done I think.
The Tunisian government are well aware of the threats,and have just said they are building a 168KM security fence along their border with Libya.
www.middleeastmonitor.com...

Problem is,many have already been radicalised within Tunisa,or have hopped across the border already.
Other problem is,no fence or wall will stop the cancer of fanaticism which has metastasized across the region.

Very sad for the decent people of Tunisa,and there are many of them.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Why the hell would there be any westerners in North Africa, especially Tunisia for them to warn right now.. Is there no good places in Britain to take a vacation?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Look at what our foreign policies cause in the long term........The military industrial complex needs to retool into something else......3d printing or some new technology. If this policy of make an enemy and than defeat the enemy is going to fail eventually and the suffering it causes is not worth the policy.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
Look at what our foreign policies cause in the long term..

That is the KEY issue brother SubTruth,which our western governments either never learn from,or more likely continue on purpose.
Its win win for them-they can continue to make giant money from war and arms dealing overseas,whilst at the same time they get the green light to continue dictatorial and freedom destroying sytems upon their own subjects at home,who clammour for security rather than liberty.
Either way,they get more money and control-Why would they behave otherwise?

Frog in a pot,fascistic wet dream material.
The reality of modern "civilisation."

I will say it again-Is this what our forefathers gave their blood and lives for?
I think not.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Not worth it to whom?? You and me maybe but there are groups of people that make truly obscene amounts of money on armed conflict. Enormously profitable. And then after the people you sent to war come back maimed you can charge them $100K to speak at their fundraiser. It's a win-win. If you're on the right side.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Four hours after the attack I would have been home asleep in my own bed.

There shouldn't even be a need to direct Britons to leave...there should have been a mass exodus the next day? Who, in their right mind, would have stayed any longer than necessary?

Take away the foreign targets, people!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If you are being attacked in a Country because you are 'British', what should that person do??

Its a no brainer unless you are undecover, army personnel or MI5/6.

Get the hell out of there at least until they find those others who were involved... and even then still gota be vigilant!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
If I were on holiday in Tunisia or somewhere nearby & my government told me to leave because of a possible terrorist attack, I would probably leave.
It could happen anywhere these days, in any country, at any time. None of us are safe.

I was in Spain on a beach when I heard what happened in Tunisia. It did make me sit up and look around at people around me, but what can you do?

Sad times we live in.
edit on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:22:51 -0500071572015000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yet no other european countries are withdrawing their people.

Also its not like all brits walk about with a union jack on - they look for white faces as they are usually christian so why is it safe enough for all other countries to leave their people?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I was in Malaysia when the Bali bombing happened. Indonesia was my next destination, but I changed my plans and went North instead, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia...

I would have left Tunisia and/or cancelled plans to visit after the shooting without any government advice needed.
I feel sorry for the Tunisian people who depend on tourist money, I live in a place which depends on tourist money myself, but I carry out my own risk assessments, and North Africa right now to me ain't on the cards.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I would love to visit the Valley of the Kings and the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, but the risk of an attack is very high at the moment.
It's a shame this is all happening, because there are some wonderful places to visit and go on holiday.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I too live in a tourist destination on the south Coast so I too do feel for the Tunisian peoples trying to make a living. I personally think we have been isolated to some degree from the inherent dangers of traveling abroad by the presentations of travel companies. We also seem to have lost the ability of actually being present in our surroundings by the use of tech - mobile phones and the like.

My daughter and her partner went to Egypt last year on a Nile cruise and although I told them to be vigilant - just in case - it really freaked me out when she sent me a photo of a machine gun mounted on the rear of the boat!

We travel now abroad at our risk and must therefore be aware - regardless of the destination - even Paris could be a risky trip!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Shelbee

Agreed, anywhere could be dangerous, wrong place wrong time and all that.

In my post earlier I said I changed my travel plans after the Bali bombing, but a couple of months later I was close to being robbed and chucked to the sharks by Burmese fishermen, thank # one of them valued my life as a human being.

For all we know it could just be dark political reasons pulling all Brits out. Screw Tunisia's economy up intentionally or something, wouldn't surprise me.

top topics

join