It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone help me out with math ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We are looking at a home to purchase..we like this home, but I am confused about the SqF. The listing has this house at 2060 SqF.

Here are the room dim. and garage cannot be included. It has no basement.

Living 25 x 13
kitchen 11 x 17
bed one 12 x 12
bed two 11 x 11
bed three 11 x 10
utility 10 x 19
bath one 9 X 5
bath two 9 x 6
covered/enclosed sunroom (non insulated) 15 x 8

(garage is 21 x 24'8 but cannot be counted in total sqf..right?)

My total does not = 2060 sqf..and was wondering if I could get input..maybe my math is off?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

For example, a room measuring 12 ft x 15 ft would be described as having an area of 180 ft² (12 x 15 = 180).

www.metric-conversions.org...

Damn Metric System!

They probably rounded up or down when they listed the space too. I know for me they used the area of my foundation as the square footage, then doubled it cause of the 2nd floor.

~Tenth
edit on 7/9/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

yes..this is how i calculated it..and you are right..it would be better to measure exterior foundation..however our realtor refuses to measure
we live 2 hours from said home or i would go measure!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm a mortgage broker.

The square footage the listing will have will almost always be inflated. The problem is that there is no standard methodology to measuring square footage. For example, do you include outdoor space, closets, hallways or just livable space? Do you measure to the drywall or exterior walls? Basements are usually excluded. Odd shaped rooms can be another issue.

The appraiser will have their own methodology as to how they measure the square footage. They will include a floor plan showing their measurements.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The actual living space you provided is 1,296 sqf, with the sunroom. and 1,821 with the garage, however the garage does not count towards total square footage. Some may argue that if it's heated it will count, but I think that's still contested. It is not livable space.

The rest could be accounted for by closets and baths, but it seems they are including the garage in the total. Which again, is not applicable.

edit on 9-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

That is the total I got too? So where is the missing sqf? I mean there are two small hallways and the closets are normal everyday 3x5 closets..Im sure doesn't add up the extra sqf. This is why I am confused. We have viewed the home and it didn't feel much bigger than our old 1100 sqf home. The realtor got kind of pissy when asked about it. He said there is nothing he can do about it and that they pull the square footage from records at the courthouse. The difference could mean the price is way off..not to mention the property tax!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

Go to the county you are in and look it up on the PVA your acreage and square footage should be listed . Don't worry about being right or wrong worry about what you're going to be taxed for .

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Neopan100
a reply to: rexsblues

That is the total I got too? So where is the missing sqf? I mean there are two small hallways and the closets are normal everyday 3x5 closets..Im sure doesn't add up the extra sqf. This is why I am confused. We have viewed the home and it didn't feel much bigger than our old 1100 sqf home. The realtor got kind of pissy when asked about it. He said there is nothing he can do about it and that they pull the square footage from records at the courthouse. The difference could mean the price is way off..not to mention the property tax!

The rest is more than likely the the hall way, closet space and bathrooms. It's pretty clear they're counting every square inch, plus the garage as i mentioned, which they aren't supposed to do.

I'd call them out on it, and whittle them down a few grand.
edit on 9-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Neopan100
We are looking at a home to purchase..we like this home, but I am confused about the SqF. The listing has this house at 2060 SqF.

Here are the room dim. and garage cannot be included. It has no basement.

Living 25 x 13
kitchen 11 x 17
bed one 12 x 12
bed two 11 x 11
bed three 11 x 10
utility 10 x 19
bath one 9 X 5
bath two 9 x 6
covered/enclosed sunroom (non insulated) 15 x 8

(garage is 21 x 24'8 but cannot be counted in total sqf..right?)

My total does not = 2060 sqf..and was wondering if I could get input..maybe my math is off?

I believe it is the outer dimensions of the home which I mean the outer measurement of the foundation including drywall framed walls interior walls everything included

Think of that dress for 199 people think it's less than $200 when in fact it really is $200

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think it depends on who you ask. Look up your county appraisers website and see how they assess sqft, or call them. They will tell you. They probably do outside to outside measurements on entire structure, garage and all.

If the recorded dimensions are off from their assessment, then you can have them updated, so the taxes will drop. They often default tax assessment high more often than not. It's up to the homeowner to find this out.

They are often high on sqft and appraised values. They automatically rise regardless of mrkt value changes.
Most are overtaxed by default. It is complete bs, if you ask me.

As far as making your offer on the property, I would calculate outside dimensions, then remove the outside dimensions of each non-heated area, such as garages and porches. Closets and interior walls are ignored, they count as sqftg.

Make your offer based on avg sqft price of recently sold homes in the area. See what they sold for, check their general conditions, divide their sales price by their sqft. Transfer that over to your sqft, and make an offer.

Ignore their list price and tell a relator that gets emotional, to f off and buy a tape measure. The value is what someone will pay for it. If they are getting emotional, they are generally hiding something, in my experience. Sounds like you were talking to the sellers agent. If it was your buying agent, fire them asap.

Sqft as buying purposes should not be based off of assessed sqft imo. You are not buying someones bad assessment if the size, but an actual tangible size to cost..ie...$100 per sqft of finished living space.

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: sp

top topics

join