It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV's new show "White People"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Idk. I think all races have a small pride in their own kind. To break down the borders between us though is so much more important than any pride we might feel for our own. And it's not just racial barriers we need to break down but cultural and religious barriers. I'm not a believer in a sinister new world order forced on everybody, but I am a supporter of a new world order which is grass roots. I sincerely believe we will not become a space faring civilization until we can be a planet without borders. Once the Earth wars and hatreds are merely smoking remains of past folly, we can start to better focus on expanding our interests to getting off this rock. We can't stay here indefinitely, as many have stated in the science community. And it's not just because a super volcano might erupt or a asteroid might surprise or a plague might spread, but because by staying here we let things fester and our pioneering adventurous spirit would be absent. Without a spirit of discovery and achievement, how on Earth will we survive? Seems obvious.

We won't. Because along with an innovative and engaging spirit comes discovery. We will not remain here on Earth unless we fail. And if we fail we're tempting nature to put an end to our legacy.
edit on 9-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: MoreBeer

All of them???

I thought revisionist history was against T&Cs?

Something to do with knowingly posting false information?

Poor form!

Here is some real history. You are correct about the White House.

"As soon as Europeans -(ie British Citizens included)
began to settle in America, in the early 16th century,
they imported enslaved Africans to work for them.
As European settlement grew, so did the demand for enslaved people.

Over the next 300 years more than 11 million enslaved people
were transported across the Atlantic from Africa to America and the West Indies,

and Britain led this trade from the mid-17th century onwards. .

.... it was clear that enslaved people were still harshly treated and many continued to resist and rebel against their enslavement. In 1833 Parliament passed a further act to abolish slavery...

However, slavery continued in other areas of the British Empire

...it is estimated that a further 1 million people were enslaved
and transported throughout the 19th Century."
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

"Under the influence of European fashion and, later in the seventeenth century, the expansion of Oriental and African trade, more and more black servants began to appear in English households. But not until after the Restoration, however,

is it noticeable that black servants are spoken of increasingly as chattels,

arising from a legal ambiguity over the application of Haebeus Corpus on the one hand and the Navigation Act on the other." - See more at: www.historytoday.com...

"During the Depression, when Britain's maritime industry was badly affected, the Alien Seamen Order was passed by parliament in 1925 to bar foreign seamen from employment. However, perhaps in response to the racist National Seamen's Union,

the instructions to chief constables stated that all 'coloured' seamen were to be registered as 'aliens'
(almost all were from the British Empire, and thus not 'aliens').

However, as the wages of seamen from the colonies were legally much lower than those that of whites, not all shipping companies enforced the order.
Further immigration-limiting parliamentary acts were passed in 1968 and 1971.

Then the 1981 Nationality Act deprived many ex-colonials of British nationality.

The governments of the day also decided that some attempt had to be made to alleviate the situations faced by 'coloured' immigrants and passed Race Relations Acts in 1965 and 1976. These, according to many, were mainly ineffective.

For example, in 1991 there were 26,000 racially motivated acts of vandalism recorded, and 32,000 racially motivated assaults (The Independent 23 July 1998)."
revealinghistories.org.uk...

Charlie, look in your own backyard before attacking others.

edit on 3Thu, 09 Jul 2015 15:12:23 -0500pm70907pmk094 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

We've been lost for a while brotha.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

a reply to: UnBreakable

You should stop sharing bs studies from a bs newspaper if you truly want to debate.

Oh, so they should have used a dumba$$ MTV reality show to properly debate?

SMH...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You should stop sharing bs studies from a bs newspaper if you truly want to debate.

Oh, I see it's bs if it doesn't agree with your agenda. I'd truly debate but you don't want to use facts.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tallcool1

Use projection much?

Poor you.

For the record, it's not my show, my op, nor my channel...

So I'm using no such thing to debate.
edit on 9-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

No its just a bs study from a bs news paper known in the UK for combining fearmongering and hatemongering into every article.

Even the far right of the UK would tell you it's bs.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

So you're hijacking a thread about a dumb MTV show to go on some drunken superiority rant.
OK. Got it.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

How so?

Specify!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm so tired of people of color trying to make whites feel guilty for everything. I'm white and proud to be white. I feel bad for nothing!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

How so?

Specify!
By constantly saying "America get your # together" you're asserting that you know better than the majority of America. You're pigeonholing Americans into a stereotype that we're all racist.

Stop with your micro-aggression! You're triggering me!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Proud to be white?

This thread has been a joke since the offset!

Enjoy your circle jerk of poor me and mine.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Get real!

I pidgeon holed no one.

As the old saying goes... If the shoe fits, you're a racist.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Actually, I just realized that I don't care enough about this MTV show (which is what the thread is about) to stay here and debate with some random internet guy I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about!

No matter how you respond to me after this post, you win!

I've got a real world life to get back to.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

No its just a bs study from a bs news paper known in the UK for combining fearmongering and hatemongering into every article.

Even the far right of the UK would tell you it's bs.

Ok, so numbers and analysis from the article mean nothing except fearmongering and hatemongering. Maybe their opinions are bs according to you, but census figures?

"Its analysis of the 2011 Census showed 4.6million ethnic minorities – or 45 per cent of the total – live in areas where white Britons make up less than half the population.
Some 4.1million ethnic minorities live in council wards in which all whites – including foreign nationals – add up to less than half the total. That compares with only a million ethnic minorities – 25 per cent of the total – in the same situation at the time of the 2001 Census."

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Isn't people moving out of council estates (urban blocks) a good thing?
Isn't that what people aspire to do?
Now it's only because the minorities live there?

Cool.

I'm out. No hard feelings.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Get real!

I pidgeon holed no one.

As the old saying goes... If the shoe fits, you're a racist.
Oh I see. Tell ALL Americans what they should be doing because they're stupid is okay, because you're no racist.

How's that shoe fit on you?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I never said "all"...
Or "stupid"...

Have a good evening.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick
a reply to: ghostrager

Looks like a pretty stupid show. Remember when they played music videos? I do and it was awesome!

Anything that separates people into races just causes more racial divisions. Not sure why we care so damn much about race or anything else that a person was born as/with.

Accomplishments and character are what we should acknowledge and celebrate.

I agree that accomplishments and character are what we should care most about but this ignores the fact that all too often people are not given the benefit of the doubt to show their accomplishments and character. But rather there are assumptions made due to their ethnicity.

This show is obviously targeted at my age group (20-something millennials) of all ethnicities.

As I am half white and half black the show will only interest me if it cuts through stereotypes and provocative sound bytes.

Many in my generation are of mixed ethnicity and I feel my generation might be uniquely situated to have this conversation in a productive way. And make no mistake, there does need to be an ongoing conversation on race in America until racism is eliminated. Sweeping it under the rug until the next tragedy has not served us well at all.

Until someone who looks like me is considered just as "All American" as someone with blonde hair and blue eyes then there is a problem.

That problem doesn't go away by ignoring or shutting down conversations around very real, systemic, ingrained issues. The problem also doesn't go away by slinging stereotypical accusations back and forth either.

I see black people as part of my very extended family. I see white people as part of my very extended family. I see latino, hispanic and asian people as part of my very extended family.

Do you?

The problem starts to go away when you can say that you do and actually do.
edit on 9-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

If it's any consolation, I'm in Generation X and I see you as every bit American as the next person. I'm pretty well color-blind, despite my mother's best efforts.

The problem comes when a white person who is otherwise as color-blind as anyone in your generation is forced to apologize for simply the crime of being white. It's not enough for some people that folks are color-blind. If you're white, it's like you HAVE to feel guilty about what white people did in the past.

That's where I take issue. Let's not ignore history, of course. Learn, absorb, reflect, and move on. But being told to apologize for the sins of your fathers is unreasonable.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join