It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama To Upgrade Malaysia On Human Rights Despite Mass Graves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The insanity that is tolerated to get us into this TPP treaty. What next? How far will they go to get their One World dream (or nightmare for us).

While everyone is distracted with Marriage and Flags, this TPP is proceeding full steam ahead.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Obama administration will remove Malaysia from its official list of the world's worst human trafficking offenders, according to Reuters, a move human rights advocates fear will damage U.S. credibility.

The maneuver would allow the administration to continue negotiating a controversial trade agreement with Malaysia and 10 other Pacific nations. Legislation authored by Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) effectively bars the U.S. from enacting trade deals with countries deemed "Tier 3" violators of human trafficking standards -- the worst of the worst in the State Department's formal reckoning of governments that facilitate modern-day slavery.

Malaysia earned its spot on that list, alongside Iran and North Korea, from years of human trafficking, including rampant sex slavery and forced labor in the agriculture and the textile industries, according to 2014 State Department documents. Malaysia's electronics industry also is rife with forced labor. This year, mass graves for trafficking victims were discovered in Malaysia near its northern border with Thailand.

Reuters reports that Malaysia will soon be upgraded to a "Tier 2" country, allowing it to sidestep the ban imposed by the Menendez legislation. The State Department said it does not comment on its human trafficking list before it is formally issued. In a statement to HuffPost, Menendez said the maneuver would undermine the international legitimacy of America's human rights efforts.

"If true, this manipulation of Malaysia’s ranking in the State Department’s 2015 TIP report would be a perversion of the trafficking list and undermine both the integrity of this important report as well as the very difficult task of confronting states about human trafficking," Menendez said in the statement. "The deplorable human trafficking crisis in Malaysia merits a global cry for action and justice -- not an attempt to sweep them under the rug for political expediency."

edit on 9-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Globalism is a Utopian dream that will fail SPECTACULARLY. Hope I'm not around when it does.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AbstractDreamz

Globalism is a Utopian dream that will fail SPECTACULARLY. Hope I'm not around when it does.

Totalitarian Globalization will fail.

But it is possible to democratically create a one world financial system while maintaining the sovereignty of nations.

This is the only form of globalization I think we need and the only one possible at the moment.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The US is also working closely with Burma and Vietnam as well. Although this is less about trade and more about dealing with China. We trade with people with far worse violations than Malaysia. It is the way the world works.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

originally posted by: AbstractDreamz

Totalitarian Globalization will fail.

But it is possible to democratically create a one world financial system while maintaining the sovereignty of nations.

This is the only form of globalization I think we need and the only one possible at the moment.

You are right. It is possible to create a one world financial system while maintaining sovereignty of nations. Part of this was to push better labor standards in places like Malaysia. I think, there will, eventually be a one world government- sort of a stronger UN. I don't think I will live to see it. Just like in the Star Trek literary world...we can't have 196 countries dealing with other planets separately...but I digress.

The thrust of the OP is not the big problem with this as MrSpad says above.

I will be brief, as there are other threads on TPP and TTIP. I find the secrecy unacceptable. I find it will benefit only the rich, will raise the cost of medicine, restrict fair use and expand copywrite terms, speed up destruction of the environment, negatively effect use and free speech on the internet. It will be an unprecedented disaster, but shouting 'totalitarian', 'Utopia' and blaming Obama isn't going to help. Both sides of the aisle..with few dissenting voices...seem to want this. I wish we could come up with what can we do? That is for another thread.

edit on 9-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Such is politics and personal agendas.
"By their deeds you shall know them."

new topics

top topics

join