It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Political Correctness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: TinfoilTP

What about Conservapedia?

What about the INTERNET?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

The reason those who don't agree with homosexual relationships are viewed down upon in recent times are the same reasons those who viewed interracial relationships in the past as unacceptable are still looked down upon now - the relationship between two consenting adults is between them, and no one else, it has no effect on your relationship.

The vast majority of those who look down upon homosexual relationships do so upon religious basis, and with the increasing economic and education opportunities offered to the white protestant population, most are shrugging off cultural tradition, slowly but surely, so you have a changing of the guard, and as long as those opportunities arise, you will continue to see the change in demographics.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syyth007

The reason those who don't agree with homosexual relationships are viewed down upon in recent times are the same reasons those who viewed interracial relationships in the past as unacceptable are still looked down upon now - the relationship between two consenting adults is between them, and no one else, it has no effect on your relationship.

The vast majority of those who look down upon homosexual relationships do so upon religious basis, and with the increasing economic and education opportunities offered to the white protestant population, most are shrugging off cultural tradition, slowly but surely, so you have a changing of the guard, and as long as those opportunities arise, you will continue to see the change in demographics.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges. While I really don't care if there are gay couples, I don't agree with it on a natural reproduction basis. Does that mean that I can't be friends with gay people, no, not at all, I just have a different belief and all my gay friends and family know about it and respect me for it as I respect their decision. After all it is their choice to do what they want. Interracial couples were frowned upon out of flat out hatred and ignorance.

I do agree about the demographics portion though.
edit on 8-7-2015 by AbstractDreamz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

a reply to: TinfoilTP

Never heard of it before.
Must be a place written by liberals for liberals to go blow off some steam laughing at their favorite group to look down their noses at.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

some juicy things there.

Liberal denial

But Liberal PC does have the advantages of the general MSM/Academic/Big3 networks control-complex.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

Of course it's not a natural reproductive unit, but there are plenty of infertile couples that are married - should their marriage be nulled because they can't reproduce?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Bit of a chicken or the egg scenario to me...thread isn't about homosexuality though it was just being used as an example. Clearly you can see how PC culture has influenced your own thinking? Perhaps you are like Dr. Manhattan though and have simply advanced far beyond the concerns of us mere mortals

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Of course it's not a natural reproductive unit, but there are plenty of infertile couples that are married - should their marriage be nulled because they can't reproduce?

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges and this is pretty off-topic. Are you arguing that a penis and vagina aren't the natural way to reproduce? Because that is what your argument is. If you agree that is the natural way to reproduce than yes, infertile couples should be married if they choose, medical conditions happen and are a part of life. Talk to me when anal sex or a bj create life.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

In some cultures (Culture is a set of beliefs practices and customs shared among a certain group. Yes there are different cultures with different views outside of America) that is grounds for annulment/divorce. Again homosexuality is a bit off topic. I like how the conformist PC group which thinks equality is obtainable and everyone is the same also holds up how much they love diversity and other cultures yet expect everyone to have to believe the same thing.

ETA: that last sentence was not directed at Syyth007
edit on 8-7-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Apples and oranges my ass - how does what two consenting adults do effect you? Many straight couples engage in oral and anal sex - the coupling of a pubescent female/male with an older male/(fertile) female can result in healthy offspring, does that make every heterosexual relationship fine and dandy? Of course not, you are trying to use biological reasons for your excuse of looking down upon homosexual relationships, when you fully know it's a religious one.

I'm sorry, but it's the same reason that overt racists refuse to acknowledge their racist nature, and rather try to argue along cultural lines. Embrace what you are - only cowards try to use subterfuge to rationalize their beliefs. The only person their fooling is themselves.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Apples and oranges my ass - how does what two consenting adults do effect you? Many straight couples engage in oral and anal sex - the coupling of a pubescent female/male with an older male/(fertile) female can result in healthy offspring, does that make every heterosexual relationship fine and dandy? Of course not, you are trying to use biological reasons for your excuse of looking down upon homosexual relationships, when you fully know it's a religious one.
Well, for someone who has been to church 1 time in the last 20 years, you sure got me pinned down. Also, I don't look down upon anyone, they can make their own choices just like I can form my own opinion. You are confusing disagreement with judgment. There are LAWS in place that have an age of consent so that point is moot.

I'm sorry, but it's the same reason that overt racists refuse to acknowledge their racist nature, and rather try to argue along cultural lines. Embrace what you are - only cowards try to use subterfuge to rationalize their beliefs. The only person their fooling is themselves. Self-project much?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I know I can be antagonistic but I wish people would be more honest - many of the "afraid of Pc" crowd seems to be so because their opinion happens to be unpopular, they are afraid of how their opinion will be viewed by others, and the consequences. A big problem is how our society dismisses honesty in general - Fly your freak flag, damn what anyone else thinks. The world would be a better place if we could accept this - agree to disagree, but live with equality.

My current employer identifies as a conservative christian (although I'd argue he is much more liberal then he'd ever admit)- I am usually labeled extremely liberal (although I would argue my political views are a bit unique) and am agnostic, we have a great working relationship, and our cultural views never really come to conflict - I work for him because he is a good man, who offers good wages and benefits to his workers (much more so then his competitors) - I don't care that his political and social motivations are different then mine.

If people judge you solely on arbitrary social identifiers, chances are they weren't worth knowing anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

And now there are laws about equality of marriage - so the point is moot?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

And now there are laws about equality of marriage - so the point is moot?

I don't care if gays marry. I do think it was done the wrong way in terms of the law and how it was pushed forward. I think it should have been a states right, but either way, it's fine with me. It used to piss me off when people call others with a different opinion names like homophobic, racist, etc. From a personal stand point, I watched my Uncle and his Partner die of AIDS in my home, I have a Mexican nephew, a Indian(NA not Punjabi) brother in law and nephews and nieces and a black brother in law. My family and circle couldn't be more diverse, yet because I don't believe the same thing as you(not you specifically) I would be called names? It's unfair and ridiculous. Now, I just don't care what someone calls me, I laugh it off and know myself well enough to know none of that is true and is used mainly as a ploy to silence opposition. It's also made me much more apt to be frank and speak exactly how I feel regardless what others think. Fathers trait left to me I guess.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Going to church has no bearing on one's religious belief. You don't have to be an everyday member of a church to have evangelistic beliefs. I'm interested how you came to logically believe homosexual relationships are overtly wrong - I'm a numbers and statistics kind of guy - Was it solely because it doesn't produce viable offspring? If so, do you worry that the current population rate isn't rising quick enough? Is it just that gay dudes make you feel icky? It's okay, I'm uncomfortable with the expression of romance between two guys (but strangely accepting of the expression of romance between two homosexual females, as long as they're attractive [now how about that for PC! I'm actually being honest here - heterosexuality can mess you up, yeah =P!])

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Going to church has no bearing on one's religious belief. You don't have to be an everyday member of a church to have evangelistic beliefs. I'm interested how you came to logically believe homosexual relationships are overtly wrong - I'm a numbers and statistics kind of guy - Was it solely because it doesn't produce viable offspring? If so, do you worry that the current population rate isn't rising quick enough? Is it just that gay dudes make you feel icky? It's okay, I'm uncomfortable with the expression of romance between two guys (but strangely accepting of the expression of romance between two homosexual females, as long as they're attractive [now how about that for PC! I'm actually being honest here - heterosexuality can mess you up, yeah =P!])

I think morally it is wrong, based off the natural ability to reproduce. My Uncle I previously mentioned, wasn't always gay. He was raped in foster care when he was young by someone who was much older than him and turned gay seeking out the affection of men with similar experiences after that. His story, not mine. So while I do believe being gay can be something that happens from birth, I don't believe that to always be the case. Does two dudes kissing gross me out? Yeah, it does, but I have literally hundreds of gay friends, have been to many gay parties including some were I was naked in a hot tub with them so no, they don't bother me on an interaction level. I have had many of them hit on me and I have joked back hitting on them. I am actually a pretty laid back guy who doesn't take anything to seriously, I can get along with anyone and don't judge people based on their choices or lives. And while I may disagree with homosexuality in general, it doesn't mean I hate them or even look down on them. Strangely enough, two women kissing does nothing for me and I am pretty much all testosterone.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Is "Progressive" listed?

I'd figure that to be #1.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I hate to reply to myself, but whatever - Have you known ANY political candidate that hasn't professed some religious affiliation? No -of course not. Do you think these people of high education actually believed in their professed belief? Of course not, most just play along because they know their demographic - I'm actually kind of sorry to say this, but their demographic is the uneducated willfully ignorant kind - I'm not saying they're unintelligent, but most have never really learned to look at things from an analytical nature.

Most learn through social indoctrination, the rest suffer the result of being able to think outside of the box.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Your first example is invalid. Woodrow Wilson was the first true progressive President. His handling of society and culture during the first World War was almost gestappo-like in a lot of ways. It was in no way, shape or form conservative.

What does Woodrow Wilson have to do with the frankfurter/hot dog example exactly?

Welfare queen is not an ethnic term. Nice attempt at "dog whistle" though.

Yeah and the n-word "can mean an ignorant person of any color" too right? I wonder if you think that "urban youth" and "thug" are often used to refer to non-blacks by conservative politicians too?

I could go on, but honestly, this is a perfect example of why Wikis are not good sources to use. This thing calls itself "rational" but it makes no sense at all. I couldn't even understand what it was driving at with some of its examples. For example, campus Free Speech Zones? Hello? Those are owned part and parcel by the left who want to corral speech into places where people who are "easily offended" don't have to hear it. As far as conservatives are usually concerned, the campus was supposed to be a place for the free and independent exchange of ideas, not just in itty, bitty roped off boxes.

and here I was of the opinion that conservatives thought university campuses were the places where hippie commie elitist professors indoctrinated malleable young minds as part of the progressive agenda?

Here's some examples of Conservative Correctness since you seem unconvinced:

1. The fact that there's still a "debate" about teaching creationism in science classrooms anywhere in the country. For some reason, fundamentalists have to be coddled and people say things like "it's only fair to teach both side by side and let kids make up their own minds."

2. In keeping with the conservatives distrust science as a rule of thumb theme, how about global warming? I'm pretty sure I've seen you complaining about people questioning the intelligence of deniers (because calling people stupid for believing stupid things is offensive). In conservative circles, it's completely unacceptable to entertain the notion that global warming might be real and caused by human activity. We've reached a point where calling somebody an "academic" or an "intellectual" is an insult among right-wingers.

3. The military. Everyone knows that only conservatives care about the troops and if you happen to disagree with something like.. oh I dunno, a preemptive war, at best you hate the troops and America and at worst, you're a traitor. Remember the Dixie Chicks getting blasted by conservatives for suggesting that Bush's preemptive war in Iraq was wrong? It's more than that though, suggest that we cut military spending and you hate the troops. Suggesting that we should pull out of Iraq, that was a big "you hate the troops." Basically anything involving the military and not sanctioned by the GOP will get you blasted for your lack of concern for the fighting men and women of the US. Because everyone knows, conservatives are the only real patriots and therefore only conservatives care about members of the military.

4. Speaking of patriotism. Don't forget to wear a big ass flag lapel pin. Not doing so is a sure indicator of your lack of patriotism.

5. There's an attack on everything.

Don't want a nativity scene in front of a court house? That's a war on Christmas.
Don't want a confederate flag flying at a state house? That's a war on heritage, part of the anti-white agenda.
Want gay people to be able to get married? War on the traditional family.
Want gay people to be able to buy a cake for said marriage? You're part of the anti-Christian agenda.
Think that racism actually negatively impacts blacks? Oh boy, you're part of the anti-white agenda.

6. Political Correctness, white guilt, reverse racism, the race card, victim mentality, etc. The quickest way to invalidate a progressive's opinion is to accuse them of something that is Conservatively Incorrect. Simply saying that somebody's opinion is an example of any of the above is all the argument a right winger really needs to dismiss it.

I could go on and on and on. The fact is conservatives have fully embraced their own "victim mentality" and have become the most easily offended group of people in this country since 2008 and isn't that exactly what political correctness is all about — people taking unreasonable offense to everything? As a group they've come to believe that everything is being taken away from them by evil lefties. How many times has the "I want my country back" phrase been uttered by conservatives in the last 7 years? On top of that, there are no longer simply disagreements over an issue, everything that isn't endorsed by the conservative leadership is an example of the progressive agenda to destroy America being perpetrated by unpatriotic heathen liberal commies who hate the Constitution, hate the troops, hate traditional American values, hate Jesus, hate freedom, hate white people, hate men, hate heterosexuals, etc etc.

edit on 2015-7-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I hate to reply to myself, but whatever - Have you known ANY political candidate that hasn't professed some religious affiliation? No -of course not. Do you think these people of high education actually believed in their professed belief? Of course not, most just play along because they know their demographic - I'm actually kind of sorry to say this, but their demographic is the uneducated willfully ignorant kind - I'm not saying they're unintelligent, but most have never really learned to look at things from an analytical nature.

Most learn through social indoctrination, the rest suffer the result of being able to think outside of the box.

I agree with you 110% here. I think general voters are completely ignorant and generally have no clue on issues, the candidate or how electing that official will impact their life. I actually do know political candidates that are devoutly religious. They live in Wisconsin and one might run for President.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join