It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Totalitarians Are Here, Dissecting Political Correctness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I can agree that there is a bit of "PCness" in our culture that has become out of hand, but for the most part I think people misinterpret being mindful of one's words as being PC.

On an internet forum I say whatever I want and do not care what people think or like. But in the real world I do watch what I say. I like my interactions to be pleasant, productive and fulfilling. To achieve that one must learn to be completely aware of their surroundings and recognize what is or is not appropriate at that particular time.

Political correctness is a byproduct of the lack of most people to think before they speak.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hadriana
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Nah, in this case it is definitely a liberal thing- The group in question that no longer matters are white, rural southerners.
It's definitely political, and it is definitely liberal.

No, you are misinterpreting what I am saying. There is no need to care for what happens to these sellers because it is those sellers' OWN responsibility to evolve the products they are offering to stay competitive in an ever changing market. That is the CORE of conservative economical ideals. So asking why no one cares about these businesses is ridiculous, the liberals don't care because they are businesses selling conservative flags, and the conservatives (shouldn't) don't care because it is against their beliefs to care. If we spent time propping up or catering to every business that is about to go bottom up for whatever reason, we'd all be broke.

Those businesses have their own problems. Let THEM handle them on their own.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think so too.
Yeah, it's a tiny little sparkly sticker, and all he does is drive his personal vehicle to work and park it until he leaves for the day.
I too would think it would be a clear wrongful dismissal case. He said he'd take it off the truck though, he was pretty mad, but he said he really needed the job.

Krazysh0t : I will simply restate my case and say that I do not believe that someone's ability to earn a living should be arbitrarily decided on the whims of the swimming school of politically correct fish.
edit on 10-7-2015 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

And the "Why should anyone care about them?" comment is EXACTLY the reason I doubt I will ever vote liberal AGAIN.

Same here.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Good gravy.

White Americans outnumber THE TOTAL OF ALL OTHER RACIAL GROUPS in America by 138,360,992 people.

The US Congress is 80% White, the Supreme Court is 89% White, as are the executives in most corporations, etc. etc.

How is it that White Americans are being trampled on, again? And who is doing it?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: hadriana

Yeah, I don't know where he works, but that's out of line on the part of the employer.

I also realize that given your description of his situation, he will likely be forced to comply without recourse to what is legally right ... which does make me sad.

Best of luck to your acquaintance, however it comes out.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Soft despotism is a term coined by Alexis de Tocqueville describing the state into which a country overrun by "a network of small complicated rules" might degrade. Soft despotism is different from despotism (also called 'hard despotism') in the sense that it is not obvious to the people.

Soft despotism gives people the illusion that they are in control, when in fact they have very little influence over their government. Soft despotism breeds fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the general populace. Alexis de Tocqueville observed that this trend was avoided in America only by the "habits of the heart" of its 19th-century populace.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is where I see America.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
At its worst political correctness is institutionalised politeness. A clumsy way of making language more inclusive. Most people on ATS are politically correct here, or try to be. It's probably improved more lives than it has impoverished. Think of all the minorities who no longer suffer racial slurs or sexist offensive language. Try not being politically correct on ATS and you'll get booted. Unlike other places you can comment on the Internet.

ATS has a standard of politeness that most members try to adhere to and that's what makes it a nice place to hang out. Frankly I don't see the big problem with political correctness. Ok it can get silly at sometimes, but on the whole it's better than it was before
edit on 10-7-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Nah, in this case it is definitely a liberal thing- The group in question that no longer matters are white, rural southerners.

so I guess you will be voting for Donald trump...he is absent any political correctness.....and as far as it being a "liberal" idea.....seems that conservatives get pretty pee'd off when you start calling them racists, kkk'ers, Nazi's,...or southerners being called billy bobs, gomers, hillbillys, or sister-marrying, mouth-breathing hicks......maybe....just maybe....people might be PC because it's a bit of a "kind civility" toward each other. even conservatives don't walk up to their own 300-lb mother, and call her a fat ass. so it is NOT "definitely liberal"

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Why does the right hate common sense?

I mean it is only common sense that you don't say things to someone, point out differences that you find weird or do something if you know it will offend someone.

I will never understand their fight against common sense. It's like they are fighting to be ignorant and want to offend as much people as they are allowed.
edit on 10-7-2015 by krosnos because: needed to add more

edit on 10-7-2015 by krosnos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: infolurker

I see it at work here at ATS. On certain type thread topics, we'll see the PC cops swoop in and demand adherence to the PC viewpoint. Everyone else either shuts down, or doesn't bother to comment at all based upon the type of thread. Its all very predictable.

Looks like you were EXACTLY right.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Krazysh0t : I will simply restate my case and say that I do not believe that someone's ability to earn a living should be arbitrarily decided on the whims of the swimming school of politically correct fish.

Well that's how the real world works. Sometimes things out of your control manipulate the market making it harder for you to sell your product; as a business owner it is your responsibility and yours alone to evolve your product line so that you don't go out of business. If you feel so strongly about helping them out, all you have to do is buy stuff from them.

Consider this. All the controversy around the flag has caused many Southerners to seek out the flag to display as a protest. I'd BET that any business that is selling those flags or items with the flags on them and LOSING money, is doing it wrong.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I'm not talking about who is CAUSING the hardship to the business owners. I'm telling you that the idea of NOT caring about what happens to other businesses is a conservative ideal. It is conservative 101 in fact. Live and die by the market. If the market says your product is unsellable for WHATEVER reason, then so be it. You can't get any more conservative than that idea. YES, the liberals are pushing the flag is racist ideal that has caused Amazon to remove these products, that wasn't my point though. The point is that the only people who should be worrying about what happens to those businesses is the business owners themselves. And again, if you care so much, BUY something from those businesses.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

... and yet, you're here posting.

Does that make you part of the PC police then?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Soft despotism is a term coined by Alexis de Tocqueville describing the state into which a country overrun by "a network of small complicated rules" might degrade. Soft despotism is different from despotism (also called 'hard despotism') in the sense that it is not obvious to the people.

Soft despotism gives people the illusion that they are in control, when in fact they have very little influence over their government. Soft despotism breeds fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the general populace. Alexis de Tocqueville observed that this trend was avoided in America only by the "habits of the heart" of its 19th-century populace.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yep, and there are plenty of them on this board.

No problem Forcing their beliefs on others... had one yesterday.

If you don't tow the line with this one you may end up "re-educated, homeless, or liquidated".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So, when you and those you agree with comment on a topic here, you're just sharing an opinion.

When others do so, particularly those positions you disagree with, they're in the process of establishing a tyrannical hell-state?

Is there any example you can give, of any member on this site promoting the idea that those who disagree should be "re-educated, homeless or liquidated"?

Now, this is not a case, as in the links you already offered, of you rephrasing what someone else said, or trying to spin a statement to fit your own agenda ... can you quote anyone here who has said what you're claiming?

Who is it that's trying to manipulate and control the speech of others, again?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

No problem Forcing their beliefs on others...

I wish I'd known you were going to make this thread - I could give you DOZENS.

This one takes the cake - my all time favorite (so far):

To all of you saying children are too young to know, or that they are too stupid to have their own ideas, I would like to smack each and every one of you.

SHUT UP!!! You are wrong, ignorant, simple-minded, judgmental FOOLS.

..not ONE of these members exclaiming their righteousness deserves any attention at all, except to be investigated by CPS.

Unfortunately, MOST parents have very little idea how to manage BEING a parent.

I believe that EVERY PERSON who becomes pregnant or is thinking of becoming pregnant should be LICENSED and have to go through a battery of CLASSES to clear up their ignorance.

This poster is sincere in her comments - she believes this to her core.

I've been told my Christian beliefs are no longer compatible with the 'new America,' and that I should get out, leave.

It would be funny if it weren't true.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: beezzer

en.wikipedia.org...

No problem Forcing their beliefs on others... had one yesterday.

If you don't tow the line with this one you may end up "re-educated, homeless, or liquidated".

Or perhaps one is simply told they have no reading comprehension skills. There will always be some sort of insult to one's intelligence, some sort of consequence.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yep....at it again.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I fail to see how one poster expressing their opinion is forcing their beliefs on others.

Are you forcing your beliefs on others when you post your sincere beliefs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join