It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

AUGUSTA, Maine (Reuters) – Maine will allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons without a permit, a practice called “constitutional carry” by Second Amendment advocates, under a bill signed into law on Wednesday by Republican Governor Paul LePage.

This will make Maine the fifth state that has reversed prior legislation requiring citizens to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Maine law currently allows gun owners to openly carry a handgun without a permit, but concealed carry requires a background check, a licensing fee, a judgment of “good moral character” and evidence the applicant can handle a gun safely.

The other four states that have reversed their decision to require a permit are Alaska, Arizona, Wyoming and Kansas. Vermont still to this day has never required a permit. The law will go into effect some time in October, ninety days after the state’s legislature goes on break.

Opponents, including Maine Chiefs of Police Association, said rigorous background checks kept weapons out of the hands of felons.

Are all felons bad people? Do all felons share an intent to harm someone? I don’t think so and the term “felon” is slightly overbearing when deciding if someone is of “good moral character”.

When I was young, I fell in love with Maine and it’s people. Sure, every place has it’s crazies, but the fact remains more law DOES NOT equal more safety. Criminals with ill intent DON’T follow the law.

I don’t have much to add except congratulations and be responsible. May the protection you offer yourself one day protect the innocent life of another.

I’m packing my bags as we speak.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

This is pretty neat.

As far as the felon argument: well, a felon couldn't get a CCW anyway, nor could a felon legally BUY A HANDGUN, and if he *did* buy one it was not through legal means, so that point is invalid (although I think some felons *should* be able to have a firearm, especially when the offense(s) were nonviolent or BS).

If a felon is caught carrying PERIOD, he's done. And he can't get a license to carry anyway. Just fear mongering on a point that has no relevance to the issue but one that people will eat up.

These people crack me up.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Best thing I've read all day. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

...although I think some felons *should* be able to have a firearm, especially when the offense(s) were nonviolent or BS.

My point exactly.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Hey hey hey. If you were convicted of an absentee voting procedure violation, YOU ARE A DANGER TO SOCIETY AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE A GUN.

EVER.

PERIOD.

Amiright? Guys?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Fantastic.

I will only say that each and every one of us who chooses to accept the responsibility must be vigilant custodians. That means maintaining awareness and control over firearms at all times.

We can then let the criminals worry about who we may be.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Technically speaking the requirement of a concealed carry permit is a violation of the 2nd amendment. I am glad Maine has seen fit to restore Constitutional law and give people the rights they should always have had.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You got that right, constitutional carry is already legal everywhere.

We just have to correct incongruous state and local legislation which is out of step with the bill of rights.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Technically speaking, a permit to protest is a violation of the First Amendment (shh, I don't think the illegitimate children that are the government care too much).

That said, it was recently recommended to me that I get a carry license (even though I neither open nor conceal carry) *because* of the firearms in my home (my state is not open carry as far as hand guns are concerned).

My response: my permit is the Constitution. Period.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Good job Maine!

Maybe these actions will trickle down into lower New England (MA, RI & CT)
(/Sarc)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Great news. I guess I can throw away my concealed carry permit now.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

6th state. Kansas was the 5th and it went into effect July 1st.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This made my whole day, glad to see this is catching on. I always felt the permit was a joke anyway. Just another way for the government to get a few more dollars out of people.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Are all felons bad people? Do all felons share an intent to harm someone? I don’t think so and the term “felon” is slightly overbearing when deciding if someone is of “good moral character”.

I think the ban on owning firearms for felons should be limited to felons who committed a violent crime (basically, if you've committed harm to someone so badly that you earned a felony conviction, you willingly gave up your right to partake in that particular freedom).

Non-violent felons should be allowed firearms, imo--they've served their time for the crime, it shouldn't follow them forever.

Good job, Maine legislature!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

6th state. Kansas was the 5th and it went into effect July 1st.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming and Vermont don’t require a permit at all for concealed carry in public. Vermont has never had such a requirement; Alaska went permit-free in 2003; Arizona in 2010; Wyoming in 2011 (limited to residents); and Arkansas in 2013.

Link

Add Kansas (5), in July and Maine (6) in October.

Once again, Reuters got their facts wrong.

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
As a Mainer with a carry permit, Hooray!

It took me months of inconvenience to get that permit, and the cost of the classes I had to take have delayed my purchase of the pistol I want to carry... but hey. I'm bitter about the past, and happy about this step in the right direction.

Now- who can tell me if a partially concealed weapon is still a crime in Maine?

Logically it isn't, but in my experience the enforcement in these parts doesn't follow logic that well.

new topics

top topics

join