It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few simple questions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Whether you have a large chunk of wealth, a small chunk of wealth, or no wealth at all, at any time, a person is able to make the free choice to offer goods or services for free to improve other people's quality of life. Some of us do, and some us don't, for whatever reasons, it's a personal choice.

If we, at any time, refuse to shirk the trap of money, then who are we to judge the 1% for doing so also.

The ONLY way to end any kind of global issue if for every human to work together....which has a small chance of happening.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

And every day, people from the 1% and the 99% do things to improve somebody else's life. Because they made a choice to do so, and for no other reason. And they do it in a manner in which they feel compelled to do.

Yea, it'd be great if there was no war, no cancer, no famine, no disease, whatever. But there is. And it's not the 99%'s prerogative to tell the 1% "you can fix this and you're going to."

It'd be great if they gave all their wealth away and fixed everything. They aren't.

So the question becomes what's more productive? Sitting around wishing for utopia? Or doing something to make a difference in the lives of those around you?

Seems pretty simple to me. Then again, I've always thought "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" to be a pretty apt summation.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove how can anyone support the 1% living as they do, and if you do, how can you support such behavior?

it's a mad world. compulsive financial greed is a madness. the obsessive accumulation of wealth is a form of psychosis. supporters of the 1% are thusly afflicted. to support them requires membership or delusional self-destructive tendencies.

for the rest of us, as the dalek leader Davros once observed to Dr Who; " you are afflicted by a conscience "

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

originally posted by: Puppylove how can anyone support the 1% living as they do, and if you do, how can you support such behavior?

it's a mad world. compulsive financial greed is a madness. the obsessive accumulation of wealth is a form of psychosis. supporters of the 1% are thusly afflicted. to support them requires membership or delusional self-destructive tendencies.

for the rest of us, as the dalek leader Davros once observed to Dr Who; " you are afflicted by a conscience "

So, because I do not agree with the OP, or you for that matter, I am "afflicted", "delusional", and have no conscience. Those are your words, and your assessment of me an others you do not even know. Now, who are you to judge others, if you haven't been them or walked in their shoes?

You, IMO, are being very self-righteous. Talk about being afflicted, delusional and having no conscience.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

As someone who grew up AWFULLY poor, dropped out of High School and started LITERALLY from the bottom to work full-time in factories and machine shops and run a business on the side while continuously trying to grow it to something substantial, I think it's a form of psychosis that you think people who have money owe you or anyone else something.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Show me a civilization that didn't have class, and slaves.

That's why, no.

It takes people better than others to push us forward.

Don't like it? Become one of them. Complaining will get you nowhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

some such as Gates and Buffett, along with about 100 of their equals have pledged their fortunes to charity.

After they're dead though, right? I bet on their death beds they give it to their cat.

Greed is the root of all money.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If the 99% agree with your stance, all they need do is quit supporting the products that the 1% produce. Get rid of all the e-gadgets that have made those nasty, evil people rich. Don't buy their products. Get rid of your tv, your computer, your cell or smart phone, your car, internet access, don't eat at food franchises, don't use an international bank and don't purchase anything made by BigPharma, BigChemical or BigAg. Never ever go to any sporting event---(have you seen the salaries those people make for playing a game a few weeks each year?) Make all your purchases local. It's tough but if you are truly committed it can be done. People will think you're weird and strange, but you'll be doing the right thing by contributing to your local economy.
But as long as you're sitting at computer or holding an e-gadget manufactured and supported by those evil rich folks, you're being a hypocrite when moaning about what they do with the money you supplied to them.
If you STOP giving them your money---you have more money to help those who need help.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I believe this is what you're looking for singularityhub.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

So money acquired through corruption, trickery, bribery, economic thuggary, and other underhanded methods are fine with you? Cause I assure you, one does not acquire such wealth honestly.

Who the hell are you even talking about here? 1% of 7.5 billion is 75 million people. Do you realize how much monies it takes to be in the 1%? You don't think most of them got their honestly?

I'm concerned for the ultra-wealthy taking too much of the pot, and corruption being at both extreme ends, but at least present a legitimate case with critical analysis. I've known too many people to start with nada, and ethically work the system into the 1%.

You need to restructure your beliefs a bit, cause these thoughts are grounded in irrational assumptions.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Puppylove

If I am not to judge gays, or Muslims or other people I don't agree with why should I judge the wealthy? We all have our own issues to deal with and sometimes that is enough. I can barely take care of my own problems I don't have time for yours.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a 1%'er.

LOL, good one.

Love that hypocrisy!

You forgot, that only applies to specific classifications of people they support.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

4 legs good.

2 legs baaaaaad.

Duh

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

www.youtube.com...

Like I said, the new, re-educated generation.....

Nothing 'reasonable' about it. If they can take away the rich guys assets, what chance does ours have of avoiding similar scrutiny?

None.

The idea that this can be done by the 1% crowd with no cost, is flat out Looney Tune material.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

And every day, people from the 1% and the 99% do things to improve somebody else's life. Because they made a choice to do so, and for no other reason. And they do it in a manner in which they feel compelled to do.

Yea, it'd be great if there was no war, no cancer, no famine, no disease, whatever. But there is. And it's not the 99%'s prerogative to tell the 1% "you can fix this and you're going to."

It'd be great if they gave all their wealth away and fixed everything. They aren't.

So the question becomes what's more productive? Sitting around wishing for utopia? Or doing something to make a difference in the lives of those around you?

Seems pretty simple to me. Then again, I've always thought "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" to be a pretty apt summation.

Reminds me of a Parable.

Why doesn't God do something about this?

He did, he tasked YOU and a multitude of others. What are you doing?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I think the 1% do help people in many ways. Most people seem to not realize, or ignore it though.

I mean most likely they employee people. That is good.

They hire people to build their houses. That is good.

They hire people to upkeep their houses. That is good.

They hire people to upgrade their houses. That is good.

They pay people to sell their houses. That is good.

They buy cars from people. That is a good thing.

They spend money catering events, going out to dinner, and a multitude of other activities.

Yeah, yeah, I know trickle down is BS...

It is hard argue that many 1%ers don't stimulate the economy with their spending.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: torqueythepig
It is hard argue that many 1%ers don't stimulate the economy with their spending.

Ahhh, but it is also hard to argue that the rest of the world would collectively stimulate the economy to a much greater extent, IF they but had the money to spend.

Very valid points, OP. The world could indeed be a beautiful, expansive and evolving place for everyone, save for the greed and lust for absolute power of the very few. Imagine a world where it was a pleasure to wake up to a new day for everyone.

Simply put, each person on Earth lives a finite number of years. They work for the majority of those years. The vast majority also work for someone else's benefit.

The 1% could not even BE the 1%, had they not accumulated wealth from the years of toil off of others' backs - generation after generation. The first ever "nest egg" did not simply originate out of thin air.

Then they sell the production of their employees, back to their employees (after their wages have been kept down because profits) - thus reaping the majorities paychecks right back into their own pockets.

For all of the supposed advancements of this world, the people who give their entire lives in toil for someone else's wealth, ultimately end up with nothing themselves, to show for those years.

Clearly everyone cannot work for themselves...however everyone -can- work together for the betterment of all.

-->With the above being said, I am not for the taking of anyone's wealth or assets - they would have to desire themselves to live in a better world; one they can be proud of setting into motion. Perhaps as more evolved beings come into this plane of existence, and shun wealth, it will only be a matter of time before ostentatiousness is frowned upon entirely by society.

originally posted by: gosseyn
I believe this is what you're looking for singularityhub.com...

Excellent article, gosseyn. A wonderful example of the mindset I am slowly seeing come to fruition.
Like this guy, whom recognizes that his company's wealth directly comes from those under his employ, and understands the joy experienced, in seeing that the well-being of all FAR outweighs the well-being of one.

CEO Slashes $1 Million Salary To Give Lowest-Paid Workers A Raise

Rather than see this as a charitable offer to his workers, Price sees the pay raises as an investment. In theory, workers motivated by higher salaries will ultimately attract more business and handle clients better.

“This is a capitalist solution to a social problem,” Price said. “I think it pays for itself, I really do.”

There absolutely CAN be a world, where nobody loses.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm thinking something along the lines of the Nobel Peace Prize, Pulitzer's, and awards that bring extraordinary recognition. Since these folks obviously relish being "special" as much as they enjoy the money that buys "specialness' , perhaps if we could arrange to give a profoundly esteemed, highly publicized "award" like one of the above, to the 1 percenter who makes a sacrifice to benefit the American middle class. Each country would have their own award, and then there would be the biggie.... the highly sought after and coveted - Global Award

We have Bill and Melinda Gates. They would get the first one.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It's not like the 1% have all this money sitting in their bank accounts. They have it invested in their businesses and companies. If they were to take it all out we would have a massive stock market crash and a depression on our hands.

And in case you were not aware, Warren Buffett has worked hard to get others in the higher classes of America to commit their fortunes to various charities once they die.

I think he personally is giving away over 96% of his own wealth and leaving the rest to his family. He doesn't want his family to become stagnant and not do anything with their lives.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

Don't get me wrong, charity is good for the soul.

However, why should the 1% be responsible for the rest of the world?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

For the same reason we all should be. We share this world together, we should all do our best from top to bottom to make this the best world it could be.

It's ALL our responsibilities to do so. It just so happens that the 1% have acquired most of the assets necessary to make a difference is all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join