It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few simple questions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If a person has the ability to end world hunger, and ultimately push comes to shove it costs them basically nothing, and alters their livelihood not one bit, but chooses not to, what does that make them? What do you think of such a person?

If a person has the ability to put a roof over everyone's head, and ultimately push comes to shove it costs them basically nothing, and alters their livelihood not one bit, but chooses not to, what does that make them? What do you think of such a person?

If a person has the ability to give everyone working electricity, and ultimately push comes to shove it costs them basically nothing, and alters their livelihood not one bit, but chooses not to, what does that make them? What do you think of such a person?

If a person has the ability to give everyone basic health care, and ultimately push comes to shove it costs them basically nothing, and alters their livelihood not one bit, but chooses not to, what does that make them? What do you think of such a person?

If you answer these questions honestly, tell me, how can anyone support the 1% living as they do, and if you do, how can you support such behavior?

It would cost very little of the 1%'s finances to do all of this, and they'd still be more well off the greatest emperors and kings of all time. In terms of wealth they'd still be gods amongst men compared to us.

We talk about wars, we talk about tsunami's, we talk about so many disasters around the world that end in death and suffering, but none of these compare to the death and suffering that happens world wide simply because the 1% can't give even a little, and instead take more and more and more from everyone else.

Yes I'm going to invoke a name that's a nono, but Hitler, for all his crimes, doesn't compare to the amount of death and suffering that exists simply because the 1% thinks they deserve to keep gaining more and more of the worlds wealth.

When is enough enough? When do we say, you have enough. Last I heard it's about 40% of the worlds wealth, is 50% enough? 70%? Or won't they be happy til they have 100% and we're all slaves?

At what point do we fight back? When do we do something about it? When is it too much? Will someone please tell me, where we as a people should draw the line? What should the cap be? Or should there not be one? Does 100% of the wealth in 1% hands sound acceptable? Is slavery ok with everyone?

Someone please tell me, cause I really don't get it.

I don't see anything more evil than the power the one percent has to do good throughout the world and their refusal to do a damn thing besides increase their own coffers.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I am not even sure at this point how to respond to this, star and flag for you, I hope this hits the front page, all very good points. Great post.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I am not a member of the "one percent."

None of your questions are reasonable, possible or logical.

Not one. Cost them/us nothing? Really? I wish there were a 1% running this place. The Cretans running our Gov'ts and Corporations sure aren't capable of it.

Rather, I don't even think you believe it, either. Just more spin for some personalized agenda...and no, it's NOT for peace and goodwill, it's to stir hate and resentment.

Nothing noble about it whatsoever....

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I'm pretty much an objectivist on money issues. If it costs me something of monetary value that I earned, then I alone have the right to choose who to give it to. If I believe someone is worthy of my time and money then I will help them. If not, I won't. Ultimately it is my decision and while you may call that selfish, it is my intellect and knowledge along with my work ethic that has given me the fortune to be able to choose. Anyone else deciding what to do with my money for me is theft, pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I think the OP asked 4 very legitimate questions, and yes there are barriers to be able to accomplish these goals, but when it is predicted that the top 1% will own half of the worlds wealth by 2020, I think they are legitimate questions. Painting the 1% with a broad brush is the only problem I have with the OP, some such as Gates and Buffett, along with about 100 of their equals have pledged their fortunes to charity.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

So money acquired through corruption, trickery, bribery, economic thuggary, and other underhanded methods are fine with you? Cause I assure you, one does not acquire such wealth honestly.

Not all theft is in your face. When 1% of the world controls 40% of the worlds wealth, that is not done honestly, and even if it was, there comes a point where one has moved from taking what's earned, to creating/causing suffering instead.

Let's all be honest here, when we say something is earned, it's supposed to mean that what you've gained is a fair amount for what you put in to get it. How can so much wealth be realistically earned?

Did these people save the world? What great accomplishment have any of them or their families done that we can honestly say with a straight face EARNS them this much wealth?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
So....

Essentially, because somebody else was wildly successful at whatever it is they do (or were born into), you think they should have to give it up because....reasons?

Sorry Mr Gates, we know you worked your ass off and caught some lucky breaks and managed to create products that nearly every person on the planet needs and/or wants, but we're gonna need the money you got from it.

Seems fair.

Do I like that I don't have multiple commas in my bank account? No. But I don't begrudge those that leverage their skill into ridiculous wealth, either. Forced philanthropy isn't philanthropy. It's theft.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Charity is a terrible way to use that wealth. It needs to be used in a more thoughtful manner, with actual intent, purpose and savvy. Also I'm curious as to how much of that wealth they really pledged in terms of percent of their wealth, and how much of it a stated promise contingent upon their deaths.

I know a lot of 1% throw an insignificant amount of their wealth, which sounds like a lot to us, at random causes as a PR stunt to make themselves look not so bad. I'd really like to know and see proof of people going beyond simply PR stunts to something of significance for them.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

A simple answer? In my opinion, they do not want a happy world. "They" want a fearful world. A fearful world is an easy to control world. They have an agenda which does not include human happiness, love or compassion. In my opinion, they are not human. They do not care for anything but the advancement of their agenda.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
1% this 1% that, what does the 99% do to dig themselves out of the hole?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

"Give an amount we feel is appropriate, to be used in a manner we feel is appropriate."

This gets better and better.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There's successful and there's throwing the rest of the world into poverty with greed. There needs to be a balance.

There comes a point where a person can take more from others than is deserved. Everyone should know this. Everything these people have is built upon the backs of others.

We all share the same space, we need to consider each other. We're all guests of each other in the same home we all share. Same reason you don't as a guest at someones home, throw your dirty laundry on the living room floor, eat all their food, and kick their dog cause it woke you up, is the same reason you don't horde all the worlds wealth to yourself. It's wrong and disrespectful to everyone else you're sharing the world with, who's hard work put that roof over your head and made it all possible.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Interesting thing about the OP, he never suggested they be forced, or even forced to live a lessor life style, just that they spend where they wanted to on solving world problems. Taking their wealth from them by force was never even hinted at.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

If they can make themselves that wealthy, they have the know how to pull us all out of poverty if they wanted. They choose not to. I'm not asking for their money, I'm asking they use their skills and a small bit of their pocketbook to make some positive changes in the world. To be good decent people, all while allowing them to STILL live better than all the most powerful emperors and kings of all time.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

So money acquired through corruption, trickery, bribery, economic thuggary, and other underhanded methods are fine with you? Cause I assure you, one does not acquire such wealth honestly.
You're assuming any wealth earned past a certain point is done off illegal activities.

Not all theft is in your face. When 1% of the world controls 40% of the worlds wealth, that is not done honestly, and even if it was, there comes a point where one has moved from taking what's earned, to creating/causing suffering instead.
Who are you to judge when someone has enough money?

Let's all be honest here, when we say something is earned, it's supposed to mean that what you've gained is a fair amount for what you put in to get it. How can so much wealth be realistically earned?
As much as one wants and can create quite simply.

Did these people save the world? What great accomplishment have any of them or their families done that we can honestly say with a straight face EARNS them this much wealth?
No they may not have saved the world, but they do contribute largely.
Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Energy all come from these so-called rich people. Besides the daily utilities you use, they also employ people globally.

You're whole argument that the richest 1% are greedy, do illegal activities to gain wealth and don't care about the poor is absurd.
1. The richest 1% pay the VAST MAJORITY of taxes.
2. They are the main source of Philanthropy that we have and create hospitals, libraries and charities that help MILLIONS.
3. Without them, many wouldn't have jobs, welfare, SS, health care and etc. Our economy would collapse without them and essentially we would be a 3rd world nation at best.

Let me add that yes, many rich people do gain riches unethically and illegally, but those are very few and far between. You are told these days that the rich are your enemy instead of someone to look up to. Start reading about these people and learn the suffering many had to go through before they became rich and you might gain a different perspective. They aren't the ones you should fear or hate, it's the people who are telling you to hate them that you should fear and hate.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I understand your questions about Charity, but google the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, he and Warren Buffett started a group of Billionaires that have pledged to donate their wealth for the betterment of the world. Bill Gates could give his kids 1% and they would be set for life.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Charity is a terrible way to use that wealth. It needs to be used in a more thoughtful manner, with actual intent, purpose and savvy. Also I'm curious as to how much of that wealth they really pledged in terms of percent of their wealth, and how much of it a stated promise contingent upon their deaths.

I know a lot of 1% throw an insignificant amount of their wealth, which sounds like a lot to us, at random causes as a PR stunt to make themselves look not so bad. I'd really like to know and see proof of people going beyond simply PR stunts to something of significance for them.

When you become rich, then you can decide how to spend your money. I'm assuming your not rich? So then who are you to tell someone who has earned millions or more that they don't know how to spend their money?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It's simple : they have an army of slaves ready to defend them whenever this topic is brought up, because those slaves believe they will one day become billionaires. As evidenced by the people responding to this thread.

But the answer doesn't reside in the 1%, it resides in the 99%. What we have to do is make the 1% become obsolete, not useful anymore.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

If they can make themselves that wealthy, they have the know how to pull us all out of poverty if they wanted. They choose not to. I'm not asking for their money, I'm asking they use their skills and a small bit of their pocketbook to make some positive changes in the world. To be good decent people, all while allowing them to STILL live better than all the most powerful emperors and kings of all time.

They've told you how to get out of poverty, over and over and over again. Read, think of an idea or need and introduce it to the people. If people want or need it, you will also become wildly successful.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

If I am not to judge gays, or Muslims or other people I don't agree with why should I judge the wealthy? We all have our own issues to deal with and sometimes that is enough. I can barely take care of my own problems I don't have time for yours.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a 1%'er.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join