It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness scares me .

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Reidhos

Exactly, it's like one giant PC hive mind. People are becoming too scared to think or speak outside of what the hive dictates.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: NihilistSanta

That one really took off, too, if I recall. /sarc

But as I recall, a lot of conservatives thought it was dumb because it never went much further than a few restaurants and the capital café.

A lot of progressives think that things labeled as left wing "political correctness" are dumb too, does that mean that those things are therefore not examples of PC or are there different standards?

Maybe it depends on whether or not an institution of government or education gets involved.

Look up the list of words Seattle's government has banned. If you work in government there, you can no longer use any term that has "man" or "men" in it because that's discriminatory and un-PC to women. That's also where brown bag is considered banned. You can't use things like penmanship.

And when education gets involved, isn't that when you want people exposed to everything? All kinds of ideas so they can learn to judge things based on merit and either accept or reject? When education gets in on the PC train and starts marginalizing and banning concepts and ideas or whitewashing them under "safe" language, how do you expect that to happen? Education when minds are forming is when PC thought control is at its most insidious I would think, and I would think it's when you would be most concerned about it.

Now if a private business decides to do this kind of madness ... OK. They can be stupid.

It might also depend on why a business does it. Is it out of fear or out of actual business pressure? What motivated those country stations not to play Dixie Chicks? Where they being boycotted and taking hits in the wallet or did they only act out of fear of the mob? With Walmart and TV Land, what was their decision?

I would say it's a scary place when people are acting out of fear, not simply bottom line, even if you try to justify by saying fear for the bottom line. When you act out of fear, it means the mob is more or less after you in the modern day equivalent of a lynching if you don't comply with what it wants ... or maybe the peasants are coming to take you to the guillotine.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I've said it before, I'll say it again, PC has created a society of polite liars.

It is highly Orwellian.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I just want to be insensitive and discriminative, what's so wrong with that, just let me be damn it, I was born this way...

Then do it. Political correctness didn't make it illegal to say or do those things. Why are you letting the opinions of others dictate your speech and actions anyways?

Believe it or not, I can be VERY politically incorrect offline.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I just hope you are not a christian who os afraid of "PC". The most PC people are Religious.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Everyone gets a gold star just for showing up. We don't keep score because everyone is a winner. We stopped teaching children how to compete with honor. We stopped teaching them how to win, and lose, gracefully. All because we don't want to hurt any feelings.

In doing so we have raised an entire generation of whiny brats with a bizarre sense of entitlement who think the world should kiss their butts. When the world kicks their butts instead of kissing them reality will set in. Instead of learning these things as children when they can still grow and adapt to them they will be forced to learn them as adults who are set in their ways and not nearly as pliable. This is in no way a good thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Last Winter I stopped for gas at a station I've never been to. While paying, the clerk whom I've never met, says in a very rude way, "you need to shave and get a hair cut". So I said, "you need to skip a meal and start exercising".

The lady was floored and REALLY angry. So I said, I'm a hunter, my beard and hair keep me warm in the elements, you know, like your extra layers do for you.

I left the store laughing. If you want to be snarky and throw insults, I'm 100% fine with it, just don't get pissy when I hurl some insults back at ya.

Should I have poked fun at her weight? Hell no, that's extremely rude. My point was to make her think twice about insulting or passing judgement on others like she did. If you want to talk snip to someone you don't know(or anyone for that matter) keep in mind there are snip faces out there that will dish it out 10X worse and aren't afraid of being PC.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

At a recent 4H event, my son received a red ribbon (2nd place) for his bunny. All the other kids in his age group had received blue (1st place) ribbons.

After the match, I (and my son) went to the judge and I had my son shake her hand and thank her for participating and judging.

She was shocked. She honestly stated that she thought we were going to complain and attack her for awarding my son a lesser ribbon.

I stated that he was here to learn. She then took my son aside and spent nearly an hour with him, showing him what he did wrong and tutoring him on the right way to show his bunny.

He came away knowing more, and I could not be prouder of him.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

At a recent 4H event, my son received a red ribbon (2nd place) for his bunny. All the other kids in his age group had received blue (1st place) ribbons.

After the match, I (and my son) went to the judge and I had my son shake her hand and thank her for participating and judging.

She was shocked. She honestly stated that she thought we were going to complain and attack her for awarding my son a lesser ribbon.

I stated that he was here to learn. She then took my son aside and spent nearly an hour with him, showing him what he did wrong and tutoring him on the right way to show his bunny.

He came away knowing more, and I could not be prouder of him.

You've got a great attitude you're always such the HOP-timist!!! Lol

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry but some people just don't like getting made fun/stereotyped for things they can't change (nationality,gender,sexuality,race) . It seems the only people scared of political correctness are the dominant social and culture group in America who feel they need to make fun of people's differences.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
By the way is it really that hard for people not to be xenophobic assholes? People keep saying they are scared to speak.what exactly are you saying that you are afraid to offend someone?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Now that is how it should be done. Perfect. Love it.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

So your mad because a couple middle westerners didn't get cavity searched at the airport?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Who is the dominant social and culture group in America?

As a white, religious, ginger, redneck, mason that's short, I get made fun of on a daily basis. It doesn't bother me one bit and I always dish it back waaaaay worse! And when I do, the person that tried to offend me gets upset that I'd say such hurtful things. Sticks and stones brother.

PS, 5' 7" is NOT a midget and go to hell Randy Newman!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: christophoros
I'm sorry but some people just don't like getting made fun/stereotyped for things they can't change (nationality,gender,sexuality,race) . It seems the only people scared of political correctness are the dominant social and culture group in America who feel they need to make fun of people's differences.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is".

Francis Bacon

edit on 9-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

South Carolina Republican state Rep. Jenny Horne - a victim of political correctness?

Poor dear - if only she were smart. And more afraid

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I would say you are! Lol and the extremes of political correctness scare me to but I just read a comment by Broom where he was angry that some Muslims didn't have to get cavity searched when entering a plane and that he doesn't like riding airplanes with them. How is that not bigoted? People are taking this anti-PC stance so they can openly be bigots and xenophobic racists proudly and will just say I'm not racist I'm just anti-PC!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Political correctness hypocrisy can start a civil war.The hate starts consuming these lunatics.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It literally takes no imagination to make those kinds of jokes though like literally no imagination.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I understand the need for PC and anti-PC crowd. But if the Anti-PC crowd is not pointing out cold hard facts then they are just being bigoted. I've met some very smart anti-PC people who dealt with just the facts then there's those who want to be insensitive bigots with no repercussions.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join