It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness scares me .

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Edit;

Oh just never mind .

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

But you were completely okay with PC being entirely a phenomenon of the left/liberals/Democrats?

Seems legitimate.

IN your OP you said nothing about what you'd like to see in the thread, any limitations you'd like to see observed ... nothing.

Pretty clear that you intend this to be a left-bashing thread ... as if we didn't have enough of those.

However, I'll be glad to withdraw since you asked so nicely.

Apparently "freedom of speech" is only for right-wingers here.

But, I'll respect your wishes.

Dosvedanya, Commrades.

edit on 23Wed, 08 Jul 2015 23:09:01 -050015p112015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Gryphon66

Does PC have a political party?

Yeah and I would like to thank you as the OP for repeatedly asking that question. It was so kind of you to derail my thread into a liberal conservative finger-pointing grudge match .

I was really hoping to have a debate on the ethics of political correctness not party lines .

It's called identity politics.

PC is nothing more than a wedge issue, and it goes beyond just race or sex, and has evolved to money as in rich, or poor.

Gotta keep people fighting with each other instead of the state.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Political correctness abounds on ATS, it makes otherwise logical people believe conspiracy theorists are fools....

It controls them far more than they realize, even to the point they make threads about the parts of it that bother them, completely unaware just how funny it seems to the others, who see things for what they are ALL of the time.

No conspiracy theorizing here, just commenting on how politically correct the "rebels" are, and that they do not even realize it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Political correctness is a sham. Its not the words as they are spoken, its the words as they are heard. What is hurtful to one person may be fine to the next. Even if you are armed with that knowledge ahead of time I don't think it is possible to discuss any topic that has any meat to it without saying something someone will be upset or hurt by. You cant make language bland enough to take the sting out of a good debate. You can only take the debate out of the conversation and have nothing left but insipid pablum spewing pandering.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The people who do self-degrade do so out of humor and humbleness. I am Irish, but I am not an alcoholic, I used the example as how a community can use a self-degrading stereotype as an asset. It takes the power away from the stereotype (although there are still plenty of Irish alcoholics, I know first hand, and most of them will pop you in the mouth for calling them a drunk) . I think some take themselves much too seriously. You must make the stereotype irrelevant before you can crush it.

All white poor is not doomed to stereotypical annihilation, just like the minority poor are not destined for doom. I agree, that the "n" word should fade from popular culture - but it's not up to us - it's up to those that have claimed the word for themselves. You can try taking it away from them through legislation, but good luck at that.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

But you were completely okay with PC being entirely a phenomenon of the left/liberals/Democrats?

I don't believe I said that in this thread. ( by all means show me if I'm wrong )

For the specific reason that I didn't want the thread to turn into a heated finger-pointing left right gruge match. I wanted to discuss the social impact of political correctness .

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: xuenchen

Sure thing. I'm not afraid of not towing the party line, can you say the same?

How about when people refuse to acknowledge that the bulk of international terrorism is currently being committed by Muslim terrorists out of some fear of offending the other 99% of Muslims or seeming unenlightened?

That's dumb. Your turn.

But how does that serve as an example of (in your words):

A lot of progressives think that things labeled as left wing "political correctness" are dumb too, does that mean that those things are therefore not examples of PC or are there different standards?

What "Progressives" have refused to acknowledge that?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: ProfessorChaos
Who truly deems which word or symbol is offensive and where will it stop?

That's the scariest aspect of Political Correctness; it never stops.

If we've learned anything since this movement began, it's that there's ALWAYS going to be someone who's offended by something.

I'm offended nearly every day, I was born with a unique anus that allows very wide logs to pass its' tunnel. No toilet, suffice an airplanes turbine jetstreamed windpipe can fit the mass through; so I resort to drinking alcohol in order to break up the logs into mulch. I am so offended by "normal" toilets, they are discrimanatory towards by condition and I have to hear their guff every day when they spill over onto my newly shined caranuba waxed bunny slippers. White ceramic so pristine can be as racist as FOX Jews.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: Greathouse I see it as common courtesy. The use of certain words are offensive to others, so I avoid them.
Newspeak was entirely different. The government in that world was using a brand new language to remove ways to express or think about outrage against the government and to stop thinking about love, sex for pleasure or marriage.

I can say offensive things if I want to, like calling a person illegal instead of undocumented. I don't feel an entire person can be illegal I can make fun of handicapped people and call them retards, but I don't. At one time that would have been considered 'OK'.

The 'girls' in the office prefer to be called women. That is politically correct.

Black people do not wish to be called thugs or monkeys, if that is your plan, be my guest, but it won't be welcomed well.

Tell a homosexual person they are a fag? Do it. And deny them service of whatever it is that you do.

If all this political correctness is bullying you, you will need a thicker skin.

You may say 'just wait a cotton picking minute', I was talking about smaller things. They are all the same things.

That all sounds nice on the surface, but the current output of correctness goes beyond that. Lives are being ruined because of attempts at nuance. If you say a phrase without realizing it's history, you are a bigot. If you try to make people laugh the wrong way, you are a bigot. College campuses should not be bubble wrapped places of optimum comfort. People are being told, "this is offensive" and we naturally empathize and label it as offensive when it occurs. I don't think most are as offended as they say they are. I don't think lives deserve to be crushed across the internet and television. It's a major event for us when someone is less than polished. It feels phoney to me, it's the new Victorian era. It's reached the point of feeling anti-intellectual.

I don't agree with Fox News often, but it's madness.

edit on 07am12am312015-07-09T00:08:19-05:0012America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

edit on 07am12am312015-07-09T00:08:56-05:0012America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
a reply to: TinfoilTP

See eradicating a word is why it is a form of control. Eradicate the word then soon people forget the meaning, why it was eradicated, the origins of the word, historical and modern context etc. Limiting thought and information and only allowing the expression of acceptable thought is totalitarian. Lets burn any books that make reference to those words.

This is the issue with the flag and removal of monuments. You are erasing history (doomed to repeat ...). I found it comical really during all of the flag hoopla that people wanted monuments removed. Those very people were probably in an uproar when the Taliban destroyed the Buddha statues in Afghanistan.

Careful, if you don't want it removed you are a racist, unless you are a thug rapper then you get a pass.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

You are going to love these. I can't believe that nobody's posted them. These are the words of George Carlin, the most anti politically correct guy that ever lived. In the videos he's discussing this very subject.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Lol

He has a point. His comparisons were somewhat strained and of course politically incorrect . But he still managed to get his point across without offending me ?

I wonder if that makes me "sensitivity challenged".

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I'm a bit sensitivity challenged, too. I can't tell if it was offensive or not.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
There are tangible instances and examples of this happening in universities. Scientists, authors, professors, and comedians have expressed fears of speaking at institutions of higher learning. There are plenty examples and article of this that one can find by looking. What were one bastions of free thought, critical thinking and dissent, are now crucibles of thought suppression, conformity, and group think.
edit on 9-7-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
You could argue that ATS has quite politically correct terms and conditions. On the whole offensive, abussive and racist comments are not tolerated here compared to other forum sites on the Internet. That is why I come here , because of the generally polite atmosphere. I wouldn't want it any other way. If I felt the need to leave racist and homophobic comments I would go to other corners of the Internet. I think most of us enjoy the political correct atmosphere of ATS because if we didn't we would go elsewhere. That's pretty much how I feel about political correctness on a whole.
I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend my time on the Internet where people use the n word to describe black people or where gays are referred to as the f word. I see it on other sites like youtube comments and reddit and I don't like it. Does that make me politically correct.
edit on 9-7-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I wish I could post a quote of Joe Rogans tweet about The Dukes of Hazzard being pulled of the air, but I'd hate to get banned on my second post, at least I think, I need to comb over the policy on here.

What I find most disturbing about the rising of the PC gestapo is the amount seemingly intelligent people that willfully conform to these ideals, casting free thought and their own natural rational out the window simply because they want to feel like they're apart of some kind of authoritative trend amongst the herd. It's really kind of perverse. I've noticed this a lot amongst the younger crowds, which is disturbing. It's like they've been tricked into defending this crap and they don't even realize it.

edit on 9-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I disagree with you all.

Political correctness is the best thing that happened to America.

You will be able to erase history:
Only pick cherry the goods, forget the rest.

End discussions:
Doesn't matter the facts or reason, you can live in denial.

Change words meaning:
How many people who weren't racist are now proud of being it.

So soon, people will start only hanging out with same mentality folks.

And when that happens everyone will lose empathy with
your fellow human being and no more tolerance with the different.

As nature takes its course the species will divide it self, some will progress, others will devolve and the strongest will breaking free from the wekeast.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join