It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness scares me .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I personally feel this is very much a two sided coin, on the one hand PC is getting oout of hand.

On the other there seems to be a growing trend of using this as a last ditched attempt at retaining the right to use offensive terminology and justify it.

We are constantly evolving and what my father would deem acceptable is no longer so, for example he actually had a frend in the late 70's early 80's called "darkie Dave" he was a black guy in a rural UK location and there was a lot of guys called Dave.

He also had mates called things like fat pete and Mincer Chris(mincer is a UK term for homosexual).

At the time it was just the way it was and no one had an issue with this but now it is deemed innapropriate.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

At a guess, I would say that the biggest proponents of political correctness would be of the liberal persuasion.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
a reply to: greencmp

With that post, you may have cemented your name onto the list of those deemed to be in need of "re-education". I guess we'll get to meet in person on the way to Room 101...

Yes, I think I have provided a rock solid refutation of the phrase "ignorance is bliss".

From Thomas Gray's poem, Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

edit on 8-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

At a guess, I would say that the biggest proponents of political correctness would be of the liberal persuasion.

Thanks, I appreciate your input!

Let's see what anyone else has to say ...

Okay, political correctness .. that is, insisting that certain words or types of speech shouldn't be used because they are hurtful to some group ... does it have a political preference? liberal, moderate, conservative, Republican, Libertarian, Democrat?

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

-William Shakespeare

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Truer words were never uttered by an old dead white man.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Truer words were never uttered by an old dead white man.

He was probably a racist who hated womyn.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I've never attempted to differentiate between political preferences in PC'ness...

I suppose there would be...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The bullies, when finally stood up against, will blame the victims and say they are being bullied. It is nonsense. It is like the recent religious people who state giving civil rights to others is infringing on their religion somehow and that their religion is attacked. Same thing.
edit on 8-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

I don't see laws passed abridging your freedom of speech, unless it is defamation. How is it you are being bullied again?
edit on 8-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Greathouse

Political correctness scares you? Good, it should.

another word for "political correctness" is "polite".

I know it's not a common feature in the on-line age....but it used to be....or it used to be a little more at least....IMO it is no coincidence that the online age corresponds in large part with the rise in the sort of political correctness that might scare people - the ability to be an anonymous complete pirck has caused an entirely predictable backlash, and the rise of PC-ness has caused an entirely predictable rise in anonymous pirckedness - it is a not-so-virtuous feedback loop!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
The bullies, when finally stood up against, will blame the victims and say they are being bullied. It is nonsense. It is like the recent religiou people who state giving civil rights to others is infringing on their religion somehow and that their religion is attacked. Same thing.

Or

Who the bully is depends on your perspective. People feel how they feel.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

a reply to: Greathouse

Political correctness scares you? Good, it should.

another word for "political correctness" is "polite".

I know it's not a common feature in the on-line age....but it used to be....or it used to be a little more at least....IMO it is no coincidence that the online age corresponds in large part with the rise in the sort of political correctness that might scare people - the ability to be an anonymous complete pirck has caused an entirely predictable backlash, and the rise of PC-ness has caused an entirely predictable rise in anonymous pirckedness - it is a not-so-virtuous feedback loop!

Wrong. You're confusing polite with the "truth." People are still very polite in general, but people HATE hearing the truth or an opinion that differs from their own and THAT OFFENDS PEOPLE.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

Well said!

I starred you, but to be honest?

Your avatar scares me.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

The concept of politeness existed long before political correctness. They are not the same thing.

link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos It is so terrible that Liberals like to stand up for those being picked on and don't like offensive words. We are just a bad, bad group of people.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

Well said!

I starred you, but to be honest?

Your avatar scares me.

I do not think you should be commenting on others appearances in case they are offended.

Shame on you for your bigoted viewpoint...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

The concept of politeness existed long before political correctness. They are not the same thing.

"Tact is the ability to step on someones shoes without messing up the shine."

-anon

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I merely answered another member's question ( and I did so politely, I might add). Why the snark?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I lean toward the "Irish Diplomacy" quote, myself. Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

I merely answered another member's question ( and I did so politely, I might add). Why the snark?

It's okay to not be kind to those of the "un-progressive" thinking.

They are thus deemed unworthy of PC speech and can be dismissed with a few insults and some hauty gestures.

(I once got into trouble here for using the term "progtard" as an adjective.)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join