It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness scares me .

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

What about "white privilege," does that scare you too?

edit on 9-7-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well to be fair to the misled liberals, I think it would have helped if Donald made it clear that the majority of them that come here, come here to work, and work hard they do.

That's just my experience anyway, but I really think that the rapists and drug runners are the minority of the illegal immigration surge.

Course that doesn't negate from the fact that the good ones are still breaking the law by entering illegally. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul

What about "white privilege," does that scare you too?

Lol

What scares me is I never have heard that claim in any trailer court .

As a matter of fact the term white trash doesn't bother me either.

edit on 9-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
One thing that bugs the hell out of me is the fact that they've taken everything that shows a separation of sexes (the fact that there are two sexes) and gotten rid of it. There used to be waitresses, actresses, and the like. There was nothing wrong with it and didn't imply that women were lesser than men but oh, no! That's not PC! Now they're waiters and actors. Pretty damn ridiculous.

I can't wait to see them attempt start that on Spanish. The whole language is genderized.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Now, that would be interesting. I really don't think it would be possible without inventing new words, which I don't see happening.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
One thing that bugs the hell out of me is the fact that they've taken everything that shows a separation of sexes (the fact that there are two sexes) and gotten rid of it. There used to be waitresses, actresses, and the like. There was nothing wrong with it and didn't imply that women were lesser than men but oh, no! That's not PC! Now they're waiters and actors. Pretty damn ridiculous.

Nonsense. Woman are still actresses/waitresses and men are still actors/waiters.

You don't have to make things up out of thin air to make a point.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Actually you could've discussed the OP at any time of your choosing. You chose not to because you could not address those issues you wanted the subject to go your way a.k.a. off topic in order that you could produce a strawman to defend .

Strawman? Off topic?

Me wanting an example of what you consider to be political correctness is a strawman? Me wanting to know what it is you're s afraid of?

Your OP - what was there to talk about? Not much to discuss - beyond this breaking down into partisan bickering - or people chiming in to say they totally agree :-)

You gave me an example of what you're afraid of - excellent. I replied

This wasn't a rant. This was - I thought - something you wanted to actually talk about

You're afraid of your own topic - not just political correctness

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This sums it up for me.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think some of you are taking this overboard and exaggerating to where you people still won't be allowed to speak their opinions freely you still can but if a large section of the population doesn't like what your saying be prepared for backlash has nothing to do with "leftist politics" because even Christians have these PC issues.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Exactly. Some people insist that there is some sort of PC cleansing if the language that is forcing us to change the way we talk. That is completely ridiculous.

Many just seem upset that they are told to shut up when they say dumb or inappropriate things. They have the right to say whatever they choose, and everyone else has the right to disagree or call them out on their idiocy.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19550806]Spira

No what is irritating you is my insistence on sticking to the OP. I will not be dragged off onto your strawman topic . It's become apparent to me by now you only responded to the title because of your insistence of the misrepresentation of the word scary . That falls under conversational terrorism as out of context nitpicking . A twisted version of NIT-PICKING, the technique is to purposely misunderstand some word or phrase, and shift the focus to it instead of the subject. This ploy will derail the other person into a defense of the word of phrase, instead of the case at hand.

On the other hand here is my OP. Notice i place no blame on any party ? My intent was to show my disdain for both sides in the entire process without derailing this thread into a bickering left right finger pointing grudge match . You repeatedly asked me for specific issues what I've tried to tell you is I don't care about specific issues I care about the entire concept in the slippery slope it could lead to .

Since the 90s I've watch as the political correctness movement gained steam in the media. But I have spoken with far more people that find it ridiculous than those that champion the movement ?

The nearest thing I equate political correctness too. Is George Orwell's novel 1984 and the government sponsored language called newspeak which was designed by the government to restrict independent thought and antisocial ideas . I can also see how political correctness has truly caused the word "thoughtcrime" to actually become a crime .

I believe political correctness is a perceived idea that formulates in a persons mind because of their opinion of a word or symbol regardless of the intent of that word or symbol.

I fully expect in the near future that a term like "now wait a cotton picking minute " Will be stricken from our lexicon because it is disparaging to a small percentage of people . No one will bother to take a second to understand that Cotton picking is a very tedious task and takes a long time .

What will happen is a small percentage of people will focus on the words cotton picking and claim it is a disparaging remark intent to hurt people who picked cotton in our past . That small percentage will be very vocal and gain media time . Once it gains media time the outcome is inevitable . Americans will cave to opinion while ignoring the true meaning of the statement because someone claims it's offensive and they feel guilty.

To sum up my feelings political correctness is nothing more than the ultimate peer pressure which in itself is the most brutal form of bullying there is .

My example ( Cotton picking ) was tongue in cheek in this post. But the scary part is I can't completely rule out that my scenario won't happen .

Again let's discuss the concept and not the individual cases.

I given you my position on the concept you will not accept it you insist on breaking it down into individual cases . I.e. You don't have the conceptual awareness of my position so you feel the need to set the debate on your terms. And I don't play that game that is an age old tactic for derailment .

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

What I get from your response is - you refuse to talk about things with people unless its on your terms

I didn't have any terms - only questions

I was interested in the discussion - but what I got instead is something that confirms something I've been wondering about. The people who are most against what they are calling political correctness seem to be unwilling to actually discuss things. They only see it that as an attempt to tell them not to do things they want to do

It really doesn't go much deeper than that

You also seem to want to tell me what's reasonable to talk about, how I should talk about it - and how you are or are not willing to respond to that. You want to control the whole discussion, including the people in it

Read back through my posts Greathouse. Nothing scary there at all - nothing impolite - nothing but questions. It could have been a very interesting conversation

edit on 7/9/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

What I get from your response is - you refuse to talk about things with people unless its on your terms

I was reasonably sure that's all you got out of the OP. Because I see you have ignored my intention in it again .

I made every attempt to keep this thread from turning into a right left issue. I wanted to discuss the concept not who was at fault.

I feel the need to repeat this again because you dismiss it every time. I wanted to discuss political correctness as a concept not point blame .

One more time in case you didn't get it. This thread was meant to discuss the concept not debate who was at fault .

I told you that early in our discussion you didn't like it . You furthered your distain by repeatedly asking for examples when I explained my position regularly to you .

Seeing as how I authored the OP I do have the leeway to attempt to keep the thread on topic . But your inability to discuss the issue on topic forced your hand into discussion on a case-by-case basis. Something I repeatedly told you I was not interested in doing. You then progressed to taunting me because I gave you an honest opinion on where I wanted the conversation to go as author of the thread .

I also fully expected you not to reply to the OP when I reposted it.

Read the whole thread in my replies instead of just jumping in on the end you would be better informed on where I stand . At one point in an attempt to keep the thread on track I agreed both sides use political correctness .

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I made every attempt to keep this thread from turning into a right left issue.

I wasn't here to turn it into a right left issue. Its already a left right issue - I'm much more interested in getting to the heart of this and trying to see what people are really talking about. I simply asked some questions. I like thinking about stuff - and this is one of my favorite topics

If you have preconceived ideas about me and where I wanted this to go - that's on you. Read my questions

This thread was meant to discuss the concept not debate who was at fault .

Who said anybody was at fault?

What is the concept? Give me an example

:-)

You don't want to discuss the topic with me (or anybody) OK - I get it

Off I go

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Well if you're interested into getting into the heart of the matter instead of the concept of the matter and where it could lead our rights . ( like I have wanted to talk about from the beginning )

I suggest you go to the other FrontPage thread where they are discussing that topic exclusively . Or you could start your own thread instead of justifying derailing mine .

I was kind enough to give you one more chance to address the OP . But you insist on veiled ad hom attacks . So I will leave you with one thought .........

Potato

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I gave you a star on that because it was funny . Lol

But I honestly think it should scare anyone . Who truly deems which word or symbol is offensive and where will it stop?

The difference between George Orwell's government mandated "newspeak" and the current situation?

The government doesn't mandate what's OK as far as being "politically incorrect". It actually protects your right to be so. The precise opposite. The KKK regularly holds rallies under the protection of the 1st amendment and the local police.

What you are commenting on is the private sector's sentiment...either capitalistic choices by corporations and companies or people offering their opinions as they are entitled to in a free society.

Those sentiments...by the community and corporations have always been under pressure.

There was a time when corporate sponsors would pull advertising from TV shows that starred African Americans and back in my fathers generation in the south the derogatory phrase "N* Lover!!" was commonly tossed around when people would suggest anything that might defend the state of African Americans from injustice or inequality.

Political correctness? Corporations responding? SAME AS IT EVER WAS...Just now the pendulum has swung...blame a free society, not the government that allows people to think and say what they like one way or another

So at the end of the day...Keep being you and stop crying about what other people say...but there is nothing frightening about political correctness IMO. Same as it ever was.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I understand and agree with some of your points.

Political correctness? Corporations responding? SAME AS IT EVER WAS...Just now the pendulum has swung...blame a free society, not the government that allows people to think and say what they like one way or another

But it is my position that we don't actually live in a free society. If the government and the courts will back any issue in favor of a minority over a majority . Because in a truly free society the majority rules .

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Who truly deems which word or symbol is offensive and where will it stop?

The hand wringers. They yell the loudest that "Something Must be Done!"

Mostly childlike adults, scared of their own shadow. These plug their ears and go la la la, when they hear something they don't agree with.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

But it is my position that we don't actually live in a free society. If the government and the courts will back any issue in favor of a minority over a majority . Because in a truly free society the majority rules .

That's dangerous talk there. In a truly free society each man is guaranteed his rights that are not at the whim of the majority. A Democracy, or majority rules, leads to death of the minority or a theocracy.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

But what about the rights of the majority over the minority ?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join