It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness scares me .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Since the 90s I've watch as the political correctness movement gained steam in the media. But I have spoken with far more people that find it ridiculous than those that champion the movement ?

The nearest thing I equate political correctness too. Is George Orwell's novel 1984 and the government sponsored language called newspeak which was designed by the government to restrict independent thought and antisocial ideas . I can also see how political correctness has truly caused the word "thoughtcrime" to actually become a crime .

I believe political correctness is a perceived idea that formulates in a persons mind because of their opinion of a word or symbol regardless of the intent of that word or symbol.

I fully expect in the near future that a term like "now wait a cotton picking minute " Will be stricken from our lexicon because it is disparaging to a small percentage of people . No one will bother to take a second to understand that Cotton picking is a very tedious task and takes a long time .

What will happen is a small percentage of people will focus on the words cotton picking and claim it is a disparaging remark intent to hurt people who picked cotton in our past . That small percentage will be very vocal and gain media time . Once it gains media time the outcome is inevitable . Americans will cave to opinion while ignoring the true meaning of the statement because someone claims it's offensive and they feel guilty.

To sum up my feelings political correctness is nothing more than the ultimate peer pressure which in itself is the most brutal form of bullying there is .

My example ( Cotton picking ) was tongue in cheek in this post. But the scary part is I can't completely rule out that my scenario won't happen .
edit on 8-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I just want to be insensitive and discriminative, what's so wrong with that, just let me be damn it, I was born this way...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Political correctness scares you? Good, it should.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

You'll just get into trouble if you, "call a spade a spade".

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I gave you a star on that because it was funny . Lol

But I honestly think it should scare anyone . Who truly deems which word or symbol is offensive and where will it stop?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse I see it as common courtesy. The use of certain words are offensive to others, so I avoid them.
Newspeak was entirely different. The government in that world was using a brand new language to remove ways to express or think about outrage against the government and to stop thinking about love, sex for pleasure or marriage.

I can say offensive things if I want to, like calling a person illegal instead of undocumented. I don't feel an entire person can be illegal I can make fun of handicapped people and call them retards, but I don't. At one time that would have been considered 'OK'.

The 'girls' in the office prefer to be called women. That is politically correct.

Black people do not wish to be called thugs or monkeys, if that is your plan, be my guest, but it won't be welcomed well.

Tell a homosexual person they are a fag? Do it. And deny them service of whatever it is that you do.

If all this political correctness is bullying you, you will need a thicker skin.

You may say 'just wait a cotton picking minute', I was talking about smaller things. They are all the same things.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: ProfessorChaos
Who truly deems which word or symbol is offensive and where will it stop?

That's the scariest aspect of Political Correctness; it never stops.

If we've learned anything since this movement began, it's that there's ALWAYS going to be someone who's offended by something.
edit on 7/8/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Thank you! All very excellent points. I especially like the comparison between 1984's newspeak and Pc crap. Sadly, I think we are heading that way. That is, if people don't stand up and say enough is enough. By the way, it scares the hell out of me, too.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You're just being niggardly about providing examples of ridiculous PC faux outrage.

I am sure we can think of many more if we put our minds to it.

"Niggardly" (noun: "niggard") is an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly", perhaps related to the Old Norse verb nigla, which means "to fuss about small matters".

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The out right and offensive words you mentioned have no need for the weight of political correctness . There's a term we use in the country it's called common courtesy and respect.

Myself if I was talking to a bigoted racist I would like to know it. Instead of that same person hiding his thoughts for fear of being discovered .

It's a lot easier to deal with people when you actually know what they're about . Instead of listening to them flap their gums while you try to figure out what their true position is .
edit on 8-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Political correctness makes America 1939 Germany. As cliché' as that sounds, the only thing that really separates us from the rest of the world is that we aren't punished for our thoughts and opinions. When PC starts demanding how we think and what is right or wrong, then we are truly in trouble and to me, we aren't far off.
edit on 8-7-2015 by AbstractDreamz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
PC'ness can be a tad overwhelming at times. Agreed.

But...

Using terminology/phrases just because you can, regardless of whether or not someone may find it offensive is just as wrong, IMHO.

Use it, but if someone asks you politely not to, what's the issue with not using it around those folks? It's called manners.

There's a middle ground that I try to find in my day to day world. Easily enough done usually.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

With that post, you may have cemented your name onto the list of those deemed to be in need of "re-education". I guess we'll get to meet in person on the way to Room 101...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Does political correctness have a political preference?

Or do all sides use PC equally?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I agree there are many more examples out there. I just attempted to pick something that was so ridiculous that people would see the irony on the subject .

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well said...couldnt of said ut better myself. Pc dribble is just tbat...bullying under a different less violent medium.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

That's an interesting question. I'd be willing to wager that you'd find the results a bit lopsided.

link   
I am not above trolling the political correct crowd just for fun. I have a new Confederate Flag that I plan to use to annoy someone in the future. I am just waiting for the opportunity!

link   

You are so Correct and I have a Question for you.
Does your first name star with an R ?
I'm just guessing that I know you.
Maybe Totally Wrong in my Assumption.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

originally posted by: Gryphon66

That's an interesting question. I'd be willing to wager that you'd find the results a bit lopsided.

Fair enough.

What do you think for starters?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join