It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Studies Reveal "Smudging" Eliminates Dangerous Bacteria in the Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Oh many of you will get a kick out of this! I know I did!

Smudging- or the ceremonial and ritual burning of medicinal and fragrant herbs and resins of specific plants for spiritual cleansing, is an ancient practice that has been honored and carried out the world over in cultures spanning the centuries. It is also one that is finding a great surge of added popularity in many non-indigenous cultures and circles in the modern world.

Yay it worked! Damn if those ancient cultures weren't on to something! And they lives harmoniously with nature too!

source

edit on 7/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I smudge at least once a week with white or regular garden sage bundled with dried lavender. Regular garden sage if left to grow will turn into really beautiful plush bushes that survive most winters. You need to air your house while you are smudging, it can get a little smokey.

Mother nature is just amazing. Who needs store bought chemicals?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

I love sage and mugwort.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Mugwort can be used to season foods also.

I can cleanse, cure and cook from my back yard. Sage, mint, oregano, thyme, lavender, broom and few others.

Lately I have been interested in all of the datura. Ever seen a sphinx moth? They look like hummingbirds in size and flight and they love datura. I don't use datura and suggest that no one else does either.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Amazing dream enhancer as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I did not know that. I shall add mugwort to my collection next year.

I love the two way conversations that occasionally happen here at ATS. Back yard miracles are a little too tame for most folks, I suppose.

Every chance I get I like to brag about my gardens, and the secrets they hold.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Do you live in North America?

Decent conversations are rare but do happen.

edit on 7/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I would not recommend datura as many species are highly toxic and have little research done on them .a reply to: Witness2008

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

The datura is to attract the sphinx moths and add some color to the garden. Would not use the datura for anything else.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
In my 20's I studied a few religions, including wicca, basically shamanic healing etc, and learned of such herbs etc for cleansing, healing, protection etc.

There are various gums /resins that I burn at the onset of a sore throat that are excellent for purifying the air and preventing respiratory ailments.

www.arcaniabath.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I live in St. Louis Mo. I can grow just about anything here.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I love the idea of smudging sweetgrass, and lavender and sage. And growing it in the garden.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

You can easily pick it locally there.

Look for it around areas where there is a lot of water I find it on hills and walking paths and on the sides of roads a lot. You can't miss it. It grows in droves too it's an invasive species. You can pick pounds of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Apart from smudges I also use incense, especially in the evenings when chilling. I love the resins, gums and oils. I do agree with an earlier comment that a little ventilation is essential.

As we are now in a flat - so no garden - I can't make the smudges, but I am currently growing sage and lavender on the balcony and hopefully when bigger we will be back into home-grown smudges.

I know from the lack of sniffles and colds we certainly benefit from this (somewhat pagan idea as a friend commented to me the other day), whilst sporting sniffles bordering on a cold poor thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting. Native Americans believe that burning sage gets rid of negative entities. Maybe bateria has a lower consciousness and it was perceived by sensitive people who can connect with the consciousness of other beings as being negative?

There are stories about using garlic to get rid of negative entities, too. I'm not sure where that belief originated from but I thought it was interesting.

top topics

join