It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

army announces massive layoffs while Michelle Obama spends $600k on a "modest" dining room

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Just for snips and giggles.

Same goes for last night’s episode of NBC’s hospital drama “The Night Shift,” which was supposed to feature an “appearance” by Obama and Biden that somehow tied into the pair’s Joining Forces initiative, which seeks to improve resources for veterans.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Pay attention to that last part.

hollywoodlife.com...

Oh yeah Obamas' and company really care about the people in uniform.

Likes them so much they fire them while eating high on the hog.
edit on 9-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
"Michelle Obama unveiled her 'modest' remodel of the White House State Dining Room on Tuesday
The remodel cost $595,000 and is the first time the room has been changed since Hillary Clinton did so in 1998
There are new chairs, a new rug, new draperies and a new color scheme."

And

"The Army plans to cut 40,000 soldiers from its ranks over the next two years, a reduction that will affect all its domestic and foreign posts, USA Today learned Tuesday.

An additional 17,000 Army civilian employees would also be laid off under the plan officials intend to announce this week."

Glad the king and queen have their priorities in order.

Laying off 57,000 people and then spending half a million dollars redecorating one room. It sounds like they have the peoples' best interest at heart.
edit on 8-7-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

Links: www.cnbc.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk... scorted-security.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I can actually say that my president of the United States could give a # less about any of us that help run his country.

Michelle and Obama are a complete joke and a waste of my tax paying money and I'm so excited to see both of them thrown out of the White House and give us a chance to vote for someone who might care or at least not bury me 6 feet under the ground before I can show the others the tire tracks across my back

Shame on you Michelle, my mother could run the country better than you ever could in your dreams
edit on 9-7-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
oh well let michelle decorate it she wants to leave the White House leaving something behind for a few yrs at least , we have enough soliders as it is like someone said what are they gonna do attack our country only Americans go to poor countries and start war come on guys chill

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I am not against reducing our defense budget...but the peoplecwho serve this nation and PAY withtheir lives deserve every penny.

a reply to: buster2010

You're right, they do, and no one is suggesting they don't.
Are you incapable of reading the actual story about these cuts? No one is having their pay cut, these are redundancies because this level of military is not currently needed.

This will mean a freeze on hiring, a deal for those wishing to leave, and probably a nice pay off for those in departments needing a haircut.

Instead, you're trying to make out serving military are being told they're no going to be paid, or they're being left with nothing, which is utter bs.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

So you didn't read after that, and you just jumped in without checking any facts for yourself...

Like it or not, the official numbers state that (the same numbers you would have access to if you actually bothered to look), and it includes pay and other benefits. That is the COST of each individual whether they take that home or not, therefore it's the minimum saving which would be made on those individuals not being employed by the federal government.

This is basic math people, but no wonder you're so outraged over the spending of half a million (from a fund, not from taxes) compared to the billions saved - you all need to go back to school and start learning basic math all over again.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
These are truly common people type of people....

It makes perfect sense to remodel a room in a house you are leaving in a couple years.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
As it seems a lot of people here are incapable of using Google and checking the numbers before jumping in with their typically Republican ranting...

Average pay:

As of 2010, a Congressional Budget Office report estimated that the average active duty soldier receives an average $99,000 per year in compensation that includes pay and benefits, with 60 percent of the total being non-cash compensation. As an example, the Army website broke down the annual $29,380 compensation of a military police sergeant into $29,380 for salary, $16,164 for housing, $3,900 for food allowances, $1,800 for special pay, and tax advantages of $2,716. An example of tax savings are the allowances for food and housing, which are typically exempt from both federal and states taxes.

The Average Salary of a U.S. Soldier

Whether you want to accept it or not, these are the savings which will be made by the Federal Government, even if this it not the total each serving member actually sees in their pocket.

As this thread is about comparing half a million spent from a FUND (not taxes) to the billions saved by reducing military numbers, this is all relevant.

I know you would rather just rant about the "evil" president and his wife having the audacity to spend that money, but your entire rant is based on bs, and the majority of sane Americans can see it.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrWendal
These are truly common people type of people....

It makes perfect sense to remodel a room in a house you are leaving in a couple years.

A house which also happens to be the most important building in the country, and OWNED BY THE NATION, paid for through a fund, and not paid for through taxes...

How many times do the facts need to be pointed out here before people actually let them sink into their thick skulls?
edit on 9-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
A house which also happens to be the most important building in the country, and OWNED BY THE NATION, paid for through a fund, and not paid for through taxes...

How many times do the facts need to be pointed out here before people actually let them sink into their thick skulls?

At what point did I debate any of the facts? At what point did I say anything about how it was paid for?

Let me say it again, please do try to follow along carefully....

It makes perfect sense to remodel a room in a house that you are leaving in a couple years... please take note of my sarcasm.

It makes no difference to me where the money came from, a waste is a waste is waste. I certainly would not remodel any room in a home, that I am moving out of. It would be different if I could sell that home and recoup my money, but in this case that can't happen. It is simply a waste of money to remodel a room that I will look at for a couple years and probably wont be seeing again.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

It does not matter if the money came from a fund. It does not matter if it came from taxes. It is an example of a mindset. Character. Priorities.

Where the money came from means nothing.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy
I think maybe that cost to remodel the dining room at the White House was over do. I would imaging that 17 years of traffic, and wear and tear would do a lot of damage to carpeting and furniture. How many thousands of people go through that place every week.

Now about the Army reduction in force. Through normal attrition I would think that the numbers reported would be close to normal for people retiring, or finishing up their contracts and leaving the Army. I know two people, daughter and son-in-law that will be getting out after doing 8 years. IMO those numbers look about right.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I actually read books and lived a military life. Go serve...then talk

a reply to: Rocker2013

I served. Rocker is 100% correct.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
And then you have this Man.

Uruguay's president José Mujica: no palace, no motorcade, no frills

exerpt:

If anyone could claim to be leading by example in an age of austerity, it is José Mujica, Uruguay's president, who has forsworn a state palace in favour of a farmhouse, donates the vast bulk of his salary to social projects, flies economy class and drives an old Volkswagen Beetle. But the former guerrilla fighter is clearly disgruntled by those who tag him "the world's poorest president" and – much as he would like others to adopt a more sober lifestyle – the 78-year-old has been in politics long enough to recognise the folly of claiming to be a model for anyone. "If I asked people to live as I live, they would kill me," Mujica said during an interview in his small but cosy one-bedroom home set amid chrysanthemum fields outside Montevideo.

The president is a former member of the Tupamaros guerrilla group, which was notorious in the early 1970s for bank robberies, kidnappings and distributing stolen food and money among the poor. He was shot by police six times and spent 14 years in a military prison, much of it in dungeon-like conditions. Since becoming leader of Uruguay in 2010, however, he has won plaudits worldwide for living within his means, decrying excessive consumption and pushing ahead with policies on same-sex marriage, abortion and cannabis legalisation that have reaffirmed Uruguay as the most socially liberal country in Latin America. Praise has rolled in from all sides of the political spectrum.

Mujica may be the only leftwing leader on the planet to win the favour of the Daily Mail, which lauded him as a trustworthy and charismatic figurehead in an article headlined: "Finally, A politician who DOESN'T fiddle his expenses." But the man who is best known as Pepe says those who consider him poor fail to understand the meaning of wealth. "I'm not the poorest president. The poorest is the one who needs a lot to live," he said.

"My lifestyle is a consequence of my wounds. I'm the son of my history. There have been years when I would have been happy just to have a mattress." He shares the home with his wife, Lucía Topolansky, a leading member of Congress who has also served as acting president.

edit on 7/9/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

My my, the political rhetoric is strong here!

Do you really think that repub First Ladies didn't spend money on things for the White House? Nancy Reagan and the China comes to mind.

And the branches of the military are always cutting personnel after wars. Nothing new. The Navy cut many through an ERB (enlisted retention board) a few years ago. Talk about a big stink. None of these cuts have anything to do with who is president. Both democratic and republican presidents have been in office when there were cuts.

I don't know why people make everything political.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The average soldier in the US in 2010 was earning $99,000 per year (probably more five years later).
Total cost per year = $3,960,000,000

No way are you serious. I call BS on wherever you read that nonsense from.

I was lucky as a e4 to clear 40,000 a year and that was being DEPOLOYED!!!!!

If I was making anywhere near a 6 figure income then I (and many others) would have stayed in.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I echo what cancerwarrior says. Those figures are total and complete bs.

I retired as a Chief (E-7) in the Navy. I made nowhere near that. Those figures are exaggerated at best.

That "compensation" you refer to is offset by outrageous housing costs. Even with housing, there is still a hefty payment remaining as most areas military are in have very expensive rents and mortgages.

And I can tell you - not everyone (not even most) get "special pay". I never did. So those figures are very distorted.

I get so mad when I see bs like this.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Nobody cares about what the king and queen of America do today. If they did, then he would have been impeached or not re-elected. Please let people turn America into a # storm if that's what they want. They will regret it all one day.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

It makes perfect sense to remodel a room in a house that you are leaving in a couple years... please take note of my sarcasm.

Quoted for truth.

Hey it's not their money. They will just fire people or raise taxes on them evil rich.

No worries.

The question i want answered is why do people get to remodel in a house they don't even own.

edit on 9-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hopefully Jeb will be in the White House in 2016 and they can get their jobs back.

Prepare for Operation Iraq Part Trois.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

The average US Soldier earned $99K/year? That is news to me....if that is the case then I am seriously wondering why recruiters don't have lines out the door every day.

Is that figure possibly the employment cost (wages + contributions + average expenditure on the soldier per year, ie training, equipment etc)? That would actually be the more sensible figure to use when presenting it as an overall saving.

Edited to add: Ok, ok, I didn't read the whole thread before replying. So sue me

edit on 9-7-2015 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

The average soldier in the US in 2010 was earning $99,000 per year (probably more five years later).
Total cost per year = $3,960,000,000

The average US Army employee earns $61,000 per year.
Total cost per year = $1,037,000,000

Total saving = $4,997,000,000 PER YEAR.

So, half a million $'s spent on the remodeling of an important room in the most important historically significant house in the USA, compared with almost 5 BILLION saved from cutting obviously unnecessary military service...

Sorry to burst your partisan bs bubble, but it's clear this is absolute nonsense to all sane and rational people.

I would like to see where you pulled those numbers from. I know a couple 1 stars that don't make that much.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join