It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

army announces massive layoffs while Michelle Obama spends $600k on a "modest" dining room

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's about time some cuts were made to our overbloated defense budget. Besides if the money to refurnish that room didn't come out of the defense budget then this is a pretty stupid argument unless people think every dime that the government has should go to defense.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Geez, how many billions did the usa waste in black projects over the past 10 years. Obamamania is in full afect.

And how many of those were under Bush?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't care if she redecorates the White House.

I just wanna know how much money she and Barry have spent (at the taxpayer's expense) on vacations...golf games...organic produce...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As usual we are only being given part of the story. The dining room once was private, it was refurbished to become a part of the White House tour. And no public funds were used to do it. The White House like many historic building has a trust that pays for these things. So no tax dollars and no soldiers were harmed in making this room available to the American Public.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
It's about time some cuts were made to our overbloated defense budget. Besides if the money to refurnish that room didn't come out of the defense budget then this is a pretty stupid argument unless people think every dime that the government has should go to defense.

It's too complex for these people to understand that the government is split into departments for a reason, and each is responsible for their own budgets accordingly.

They also probably don't understand that each president has an opportunity to add to the most historically and culturally relevant building in the country, and that this then has a knock-on effect on the nation as a whole.

It seems many here also seem to think that the building somehow belongs to the Obama's, rather than it being a building of national ownership that they can all visit at any time. I guess they think the president should be paying the bills?

Some also seem to think that the President doesn't deserve to be paid for his service, or that he should never have a holiday, and God forbid his wife do anything to encourage kids to eat more healthy foods! Fascist liberals!!! lol

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

so they spent half a million on refurbishing the White House....meh.

Im just glad to see our military spending being reduced. Jesus, we spend more than the rest of the world combined. How could anyone argue against that?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I actually read books and lived a military life. Go serve...then talk

a reply to: Rocker2013

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Im just glad to see our military spending being reduced. Jesus, we spend more than the rest of the world combined. How could anyone argue against that?

I confess I did look at the story originally yesterday and wonder if now was the right time to be making this cut, considering the situation with Russia. However, there would be plenty of people rushing back into service if needed, it's not like cutting back now would create a problem such as lost skills or training when needed.

Still, regardless of whether it's a good decision right now, or not, this thread is nonsense when you compare the costs.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I am not against reducing our defense budget...but the peoplecwho serve this nation and PAY withtheir lives deserve every penny.

a reply to: buster2010

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No point spending all the dough and not even try to eradicate Isis.
edit on 8-7-2015 by DrakeINFERNO because: party

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jansy

I just wanna know how much money she and Barry have spent (at the taxpayer's expense) on vacations...golf games...organic produce...

probably as mush as any other WHITE president.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well they could always just take state functions to McDonalds.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Rocker2013
a reply to: avgguy

The average soldier in the US in 2010 was earning $99,000 per year (probably more five years later).
Total cost per year = $3,960,000,000

The average US Army employee earns $61,000 per year.
Total cost per year = $1,037,000,000

Total saving = $4,997,000,000 PER YEAR.

So, half a million $'s spent on the remodeling of an important room in the most important historically significant house in the USA, compared with almost 5 BILLION saved from cutting obviously unnecessary military service...

Sorry to burst your partisan bs bubble, but it's clear this is absolute nonsense to all sane and rational people.

The average US Soldier earned $99K/year? That is news to me....if that is the case then I am seriously wondering why recruiters don't have lines out the door every day.

take a statistics course, and you'll know....averages, mean, medium....all different, and all used to suit the needs of the ones using them, and influence those that are ill-equipped to know the difference

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I am not against reducing our defense budget...but the peoplecwho serve this nation and PAY withtheir lives deserve every penny.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

maybe this might clue in every member here, on where a good deal of military pay is going to.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

Meh.

Isis isn't operating in Texas. So why should I care?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: Jansy

probably as mush as any other WHITE president.

Hey, thanks for the random race bait. No Obama thread is complete without it!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

Meh.

Isis isn't operating in Texas.

THAT would be interesting.

So why should I care?

Exactly.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I'm agreeing with you again... OK, I'm officially scared now...

First Ladies have remodeled rooms in the White House for just about the entire history of the building. It's one of the cooler perks of living in the place... I'd certainly do it.

This is a non issue. Really.

To keep those soldiers in uniform maybe a bit more care in use of the existing military budget? Live within your means.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That'd go over well...

Quarter pounder with cheese. Large coke. Large fries. Maybe a frozen treat for desert. All the while, the Presidents Own plays a nice Viennese waltz for the Hamburgler and mayor McCheese.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

You mean the people who serve the corporations. I'm a vet myself and I will be the first to say the military hasn't defended this nation's freedoms for many decades. To quote Gen Butler

I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

edit on 0140000000831America/ChicagoWed, 08 Jul 2015 18:21:08 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join