It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

army announces massive layoffs while Michelle Obama spends $600k on a "modest" dining room

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"Michelle Obama unveiled her 'modest' remodel of the White House State Dining Room on Tuesday
The remodel cost $595,000 and is the first time the room has been changed since Hillary Clinton did so in 1998
There are new chairs, a new rug, new draperies and a new color scheme."

And

"The Army plans to cut 40,000 soldiers from its ranks over the next two years, a reduction that will affect all its domestic and foreign posts, USA Today learned Tuesday.

An additional 17,000 Army civilian employees would also be laid off under the plan officials intend to announce this week."

Glad the king and queen have their priorities in order.

Laying off 57,000 people and then spending half a million dollars redecorating one room. It sounds like they have the peoples' best interest at heart.
edit on 8-7-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

Links: www.cnbc.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk... scorted-security.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

extra DIV

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Oh well, you know, people who make it from rags too often tend to forget about their humble beginnings and forget all about the value of a hard earned dollar. On the bright-side She created jobs by hiring interior decorators and I am sure all the furniture was made by workers in America right?

Sarcasm is an unintentional byproduct of reality for those who may have mistaken my post as serious.

edit on 7/8/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Another..." let them eat cake " moment from the current residents while they practice the beginnings of austerity.

Not pointing the finger solely at the Obamas...that office and every congressional stooge is equally at fault...and ludicrous in thinking at least a few of us arent on to them and their antics...

Guillotines need to be pulled out and order restored.

wtf the land is burning...lets redecorate with thevpoor folks hard earned cash.

theyre all bastards in my book every last one of them.

edit on 8-7-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   
Ah, a classic "someone spent money while cuts are happening! DICTATORSHIP!" thread. Been a while since I've seen one. Let me take it all in. Breathe it in..... Ahhhh... Smells like Bullcrap.

Oh, and I see you made "King and Queen" references too! How clever.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty reasons not to like the Obamas. TPP, Keystone Pipeline, I could list dozens of things.

Remodeling the state dining room isn't high on that list. Pick a real issue next time, please.

link   
c'mon, this isn't her white house, she'll be gone in a year and a half, and 17 years of every tom, dick, and harry coming to those state dinners wear furnishings out...imagine a constant flow of people into your own dining room for 17 years...think you might have to paint, get some new chairs, put down some new flooring, maybe those curtains, tablecloths, that have been washed a quite a few times are getting a little ragged looking.....maybe republicans spending that on 1 or 2 JDAM missiles would make you feel better.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The average soldier in the US in 2010 was earning $99,000 per year (probably more five years later).
Total cost per year = $3,960,000,000

The average US Army employee earns $61,000 per year.
Total cost per year = $1,037,000,000

Total saving = $4,997,000,000 PER YEAR.

So, half a million $'s spent on the remodeling of an important room in the most important historically significant house in the USA, compared with almost 5 BILLION saved from cutting obviously unnecessary military service...

Sorry to burst your partisan bs bubble, but it's clear this is absolute nonsense to all sane and rational people.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Michelle could have had a kick ass dining room if they'd got rid of twice that number. Let's face it why do they need this many people in the Army? Who on Planet Earth is going to invade the USA? Canada? Mexico? Cuba? Come on get rid of a few more and the Obama's can have a dining room to be proud of.
edit on 8-7-2015 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Guillotines need to be pulled out and order restored.

Perhaps you can borrow the ones that FEMA supposedly has ... oops! Except that's BS too.

Like this thread.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Bollux

the highrst paid enlisted man is around 38k thats e7 or e8.

privates etc...are hanging with 18 to 24k

and dont tell me the px with their gmo generic beans and ramen is a big plus cause its not...neithervis barracks living.

a reply to: Rocker2013

edit on 8-7-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Remodeling the state dining room isn't high on that list

That's right. That list of things that need to be addressed in correcting the problems we face in the US. Whitehouse remodel could wait, I believe. It's my understanding it's not that shabby of a place.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

The average soldier in the US in 2010 was earning $99,000 per year (probably more five years later).
Total cost per year = $3,960,000,000

The average US Army employee earns $61,000 per year.
Total cost per year = $1,037,000,000

Total saving = $4,997,000,000 PER YEAR.

So, half a million $'s spent on the remodeling of an important room in the most important historically significant house in the USA, compared with almost 5 BILLION saved from cutting obviously unnecessary military service...

Sorry to burst your partisan bs bubble, but it's clear this is absolute nonsense to all sane and rational people.

The average US Soldier earned $99K/year? That is news to me....if that is the case then I am seriously wondering why recruiters don't have lines out the door every day.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

wtf the land is burning...lets redecorate with thevpoor folks hard earned cash.

This is your nations capital building, the symbol of American leadership.
Lets not even get started on the money BUSH wasted!

But let me guess, it's okay that your REPUBLICAN president directly caused the deaths of so many Americans and foreign citizens in two illegal wars, along with the TRILLIONS lost in debt while he was bankrupting your country, but it's sickening that a BLACK DEMOCRAT in the house wastes a pesky half a million maintaining an important room that hasn't been refurbished for 17 years...

The partisan bs stench from this is so strong I can smell it from across the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
1st I voted Ron Paul...troll much?

your figures are way off..why not spend more on inner city and poor country kids education...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

"As of 2010, a Congressional Budget Office report estimated that the average active duty soldier receives an average $99,000 per year in compensation that includes pay and benefits, with 60 percent of the total being non-cash compensation."

Okay, my bad, that includes pay and benefits. I should have made that clear.
Either way, it changes nothing, this is how much each employee costs the nation in total per year, back in 2010. This is how much be saved per person (estimate).

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Its obvious our Rocker friend doesnt know much

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
And a much deserved pay and benefit it is!

And dont think ALL that mobey went to the good soldiers...it went to the contacts...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Bollux

the highrst paid enlisted man is around 38k thats e7 or e8.

privates etc...are hanging with 18 to 24k

and dont tell me the px with their gmo generic beans and ramen is a big plus cause its not...neithervis barracks living.

That may be what they make, but not what it costs to pay, train, house, feed them etc.

Even if his #s are twice too high, the point is that saving $2.5B/year is a lot, and a one-time $600k is not.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Its obvious our Rocker friend doesnt know much

These are statements by your OWN GOVERNMENT.
You clearly don't know how to use Google, or you just don't want to because it will show you all up for being the bombastic preachers of partisan nonsense you are.

Even if it were significantly lower than that, this is still BILLIONS of $'s saved, compared to half a million spent on the remodeling of an important historical room in the White House - Not the Obama's personal property I might add.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Geez, how many billions did the usa waste in black projects over the past 10 years. Obamamania is in full afect.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

And a much deserved pay and benefit it is!

No doubt, I agree, changes nothing though.
It doesn't change the fact that comparing half a million to several billions saved is a bs argument.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join