It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new weather phenomenon? Non-stop lightning!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I remember how I used to look or sit outside and wonder when the next lightning would appear in thunderstorms as a kid.

sometimes it took dozens of seconds, minutes for this to happen.

Yesterday I saw something that was a world premiere to me! Lightning was striking with gaps ofmaximum 2 seconds and it went on for minutes without interruption. Lit up the whole sky.

Yes, In regards to nature this is the wildest thing I've ever seen(with my own eyes). I even thought that it was fireworks first it was that frequent.

Looking back maybe I should've filmed it but didn't have anything better than my low quality Iphone camera charged and I thought someone else would do it anyway (it was about 2-3 in the morning though).

so thats normal now? (Europe)

edit on 8-7-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver

Growing up in the midwest I saw this plenty.. I remember standing in the yard just knowing I was about to get hit by lightning but I would still just stand there in awe..

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Depends on where you live whether it's an anomaly or not...having lived in the South and been to the Great Plains during early summer, I can promise you that non-stop lightning during a storm is not unheard of at all.

But, having grown up in Bakersfield, California, the first times I experienced it, I was in awe.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'm seeing the opposite up north. In fact we had a huge down pour the other day and I mentioned to my wife it was kind of odd that this wet summer hasn't really produced any thunder and lightning. Anybody else who lives up north notice this?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I'm seeing the opposite up north. In fact we had a huge down pour the other day and I mentioned to my wife it was kind of odd that this wet summer hasn't really produced any thunder and lightning. Anybody else who lives up north notice this?

It does seem like the storms that have come through have had very little thunder and boom. I noticed it as well because I actually look forward to those huge storms and the crackling and pounding of lightning and thunder.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Depends on where you live whether it's an anomaly or not...having lived in the South and been to the Great Plains during early summer, I can promise you that non-stop lightning during a storm is not unheard of at all.

But, having grown up in Bakersfield, California, the first times I experienced it, I was in awe.

I live somewhere in Europe.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It's common enough in Europe, common enough where I live, and certainly not new.

If you were in a certain part of Venezuela, you'd consider it passe, they have had it ongoing for thousands of years, so the story goes!

www.dailymail.co.uk... s-years.html
edit on 8-7-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Several years ago, the family and I went out for a little camping trip. Just a couple of miles through the woods from our house.
That night it blew up a thunderstorm. We only got a light sprinkling of rain, but we watched as the cloud front moved in close and then passed us by.
There was several layers of lightning within these clouds. At the bottom, we could see the brillent blue-white streaks which often strick the ground and are very hot.
Higher up were bright flashes of red and even violet colored, forked lighting which broke through the clouds and jumped from one to the other.
Even higher and at the tops were, what I assume to be, cooled arcs and flashes. Most a dull red and appeared to be in sheets as they covered the very top "domes" of the storm clouds.
Each time I reccall this event, I whis I had been able to catch it on film.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Thats the first time I've seen it then. Again went on for minutes without interruption. Long enough to impress me

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Last Friday night we had a pretty decent storm.
The lightning was just like you described.
I've never witnessed lightning that bright before or striking with such short gaps and the thunder and cracking sounds were the loudest i've ever heard. I loved it. lol Though the timing was a little off (around 1:30am)
I usually sleep through anything but luckily my fiancé woke me up.....lol
The lightning was so bright it was lighting up outside and inside like daylight. When I closed my eyes to go back to sleep it was as if someone was shining a light in my face. Best storm this year so far.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilentE
Last Friday night we had a pretty decent storm.
The lightning was just like you described.
I've never witnessed lightning that bright before or striking with such short gaps and the thunder and cracking sounds were the loudest i've ever heard. I loved it. lol Though the timing was a little off (around 1:30am)
I usually sleep through anything but luckily my fiancé woke me up.....lol
The lightning was so bright it was lighting up outside and inside like daylight. When I closed my eyes to go back to sleep it was as if someone was shining a light in my face. Best storm this year so far.

Funny. I didn't hear a lot of crackin sounds and they had long gap. Not a lot of rain either.. Sounded like it was pretty far away but lightning itself was (or lookded) close.

but it really looked like the whole sky was white and bright in the middle of the night.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Yup.Happened here(N.Germany) a few days back.

Not much touching down,though.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Yup not a lot of lightening...some rain not like last year...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Lake Maracaibo Venezuela. .....look that up if want to see crazy non stop lightning. ..nowhere more amazing on earth for that effect that Ive seen.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Happened in the north of england last week I made a thread about it.
I think they called it a heat storm.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

we had an electrical storm here the other night, in which the frequency of the lightning was similarly high. it's cool to watch. my best ever lightning storm experience was in strasbourg many years ago. in the old part of town, out of nowhere, on a still summer night, the sky went nuts with sudden, super-heavy rain and fantastic lightning of all colours, just blitzing the sky. we took shelter in one of the gothic doorways and watched with awe as the flashes lit up the medieval skyline. the storm lasted maybe 5 minutes. was awesome.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
When I lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, there were always a couple of days each year (around June) when there was always a torrential downpour to the point that roof gutters were overflowing and the water was just waterfalling onto the ground.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's been a really sucky summer this year..it didn't warm up early in April..It was late May when we finally warmed up..and then it's been non-stop rain and grey the rest of the time! I really hate this summer!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Living here on the front range of colorado and the sames been happening here. It's not ab normal to get lightning and rain in the evenings but this year's it's been weird. Lightning (when it happens) occurs just about every 5 seconds these days. And long lasting. Plus the amount of rain we're getting is different compared to the regular amount. Weirddd

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eagleyedobserver
***snip***

Yesterday I saw something that was a world premiere to me!

***snip***

so thats normal now? (Europe)

How do you get from world premiere to normal now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join