It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.F.L - Washington Redskins name, trademark registration canceled .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think it's the right move and should have been done earlier.
Our native americans seem to be left out on social reforms.

]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13220885/federal-judge-upholds-washington-redskins-trademark-ruling[/url]

Sorry can't fix link

edit on 8-7-2015 by DEANORULES24 because: bad link

edit on 8-7-2015 by DEANORULES24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

Would the name Redskins be OK with you if they had a "potato" (GH® ) On their helmet ?

edit on 8-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Been doing this for years.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

Hell it was cancelled in '97 but reversed on appeal and reinstated.

Even the ACLU thinks this is a 1st Amendment infringement. The AGO is trying the angle that its commercial speech and therefore not protected.

I really hope congress doesn't go near this issue. As Rep Harris from Maryland said, "I don't consider it part of my role in congress to weigh in on sports issues."

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is pretty dumb, why give so much power to a label? Isn't it "stronger" to just embrace it and in the process take away the negative connotations that come with it? This is such a non-issue that I wonder why so much is being made out of it.

Sticks and stones may break my bones....

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah, I think this only effects the merchandising of the Redskins brand. But the NFL has a trademark and that is on all Redskin apparel, so the TM really isn't needed.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This happens often with the Skins it seems. Fact is the 1st Amendment allows ppl to get offended. So regardless of your stance its a constitutional right so that's that.

If it was that big of a deal the majority of offended people should stop purchasing Redskins stuff, going to games and all together stop supporting the team. Oh... wait... they are not the majority...

We all know damn well that if the Skins brand offended their CEOs wallets they would not be the Skins.

In closing tradition trumps BS...

Go Redskins!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well you cant put Crackers or Niggers on helmets either.

'Bout time.

Racism isn't free speech, its prohibited where all men are created equal.

(imo)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
After reading many of the replies. How can so many, be up in arms about the confederate flag and blow off the feelings of our native americans. SMH !!
Also it would be nice to see , which jerks stars some these replies.
edit on 8-7-2015 by DEANORULES24 because: add

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

A federal judge has ordered the Patent and Trademark Office to cancel registration of the Washington Redskins' trademark, ruling that the team name may be disparaging to Native Americans.

Well, here is a partial list of trademarked names I find disparaging:

Burger King
Hooters
Internal Revenue Service
Federal Reserve Bank
Monsanto
Proctor and Gamble
Church of Scientology
Southern Poverty Law Center
Anti Defamation League
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
La Raza
Dallas Cowboys (screw them, go Redskins!)

When we can end the trademarks on those, I got lots more.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
After reading many of the replies. How can so many, be up in arms about the confederate flag and blow off the feelings of our native americans. SMH !!
Also it would be nice to see , which jerks stars some these replies.

As someone who thinks everyone should have their own opinions. I am neither up in arms over a flag or a name. But I have thick skin unlike those in the grievance industry. BTW - I starred them.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

Who in this thread is "up at arms" about a flag but is now blowing off the term Redskins? I don't recognize anybody here as having commented about how offensive the flag is and is now changing their tune.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

'Bout time.

(imo)

Racist speech* actually is free speech. Like it or not.
edit on 8-7-2015 by AbstractDreamz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It is my god given right to be a racist. I can hate everything and everyone. I can put up signs. I can protest. I can call people really bad names. I can even name a football team something racist. That is my right that shall not be infringed. Lets use the WBC as that example.

Sorry to use this op as a sounding off. I'm just sick of all the ppl offended about everything.

I was indifferent to most of what was going on till it became an issue.

So do the Vikings, Indians, Black Knights, Fighting Irish, Blackhawks, Buccaneers, Pirates, Patriots, Angels, Chiefs , Braves, Red Storm, Hawk Eyes, Buck Eyes, Warriors... You catch my drift. All need to be overhauled and re-designated, so that the people who have no interest in the sports tradition can dictate what is correct and what is offensive.

Where does the madness stop!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AbstractDreamz

'Bout time.

(imo)

Yah, you can say anything you want. You might even get away with it.

Racial slurs are hate speech.

On that…

In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group,

edit on 8-7-2015 by intrptr because: edit

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

'Bout time.

(imo)

On that…

In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group,

Forbidden does not mean illegal. It's bad tact and can add extra jail time to certain crimes, but if I want to tell a racist joke, if I want to protest with the KKK or Black Panthers and have racist names on my signs, or chant racist names, I am within my legal right to do so. Freedom of Speech has very few limitations.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

'Bout time.

(imo)

On that…

Forbidden does not mean illegal. It's bad tact and can add extra jail time to certain crimes, but if I want to tell a racist joke, if I want to protest with the KKK or Black Panthers and have racist names on my signs, or chant racist names, I am within my legal right to do so. Freedom of Speech has very few limitations.

Individually, yah. The Washington football franchise is an organization, lending itself to officialdom.

That crosses the line from individual freedoms to something bigger that has to play fair.

I'd like to see you telling your racist jokes in Detroit. You have every right to…

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I grew up in inner-city Milwaukee and told racist jokes between my Mexican/Black/Asian friends frequently, we all did. It was all fun and games, none of us were offended because we all knew it was a joke and weren't offended by everything someone had to say. Redskins may offend you, but my 100% Indian brother-in-law and his family have a different view, as do I. It may seem strange to you that not everyone is offended by everything, but there is more to your world than the bubble of insecurity and hurt-feelings.

The only thing offensive in the name of the Washington Redskins is WASHINGTON.
edit on 8-7-2015 by AbstractDreamz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
To jump off what Intrprtr said... Tell a racist joke in Detroit.... So by that one could assume that the joke would not be well received do to the current "climate" in Detroit. Rightfully so. So in defending my right to free speech I evoke my 2A rights in have to defend myself against the stereo-typical Detroit thug/s. I go to court. The court should rule that the telling of a racist joke does not warrant such a response as physical harm.

Telling a joke might be distasteful and disrespectful but I should not have to be afraid to exercise free speech.

Now is this reality. Not at all. I have punched people for telling me what they think of certain situations. On the other hand I have had to defend myself from what I have spoken. To be expected in such a melting pot of a nation.

Not everyone has to listen. You can keep on walking. Not everyone has to act. You can brush it off. Why? Because there are idiots everywhere. It's bad enough we are forced by idiots to accept all sorts of things. IE excessive taxing. excessive spending, excessive wars et cetera.

It's fickle sh!t like this that drags the government into it to make up our minds for us. We the people can't get along as long as everyone is offended by something. The government has enough issues dealing with real problems and putting aside self interest Never mind the trivial nonsense of hurt feelings.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

Redskins may offend you,

Actually I never gave it much thought. But understand those who are crying foul.

It may seem strange to you that not everyone is offended by everything, but there is more to your world than the bubble of insecurity and hurt-feelings.

Not strange at all. I was programmed by TV (programming) to despise everything Native American, I grew up in White middle class hell.

We played cowboys ad Indians and the cowboys always win. They had to because John Wayne taught us that they were blood thirsty savages that murdered and raped children and white women.

Nothing offends me, ether. I make fun of everyone, too. (snark)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join