It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did this movie get funding?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I just watched a movie called "the brink" directed and written by Travis oats. I watched the film on showtime. It had decent directing, acting and 2 actors that I've seen star in major television shows. Yet, the story was absolutely HORRIBLE. Basically, a group of friends go to a remote cabin hotel that is supposed to have other people staying in it. Nobody is there, looks like they left in hurry. Friends decide to leave, but wait, they are all on empty. Not because a serial killer or something else depleted it, but because they did not stop and get gas on the way there. 3-4 cars all decided to drive there just hoping someone at the cabin had gas or something retarded like that. Now all of a sudden, friends start dissapearing. Then it's revealed that friends are just dissapearing into thin air. How is it revealed? One of the friends dissapears in front of them. And then they eventually all dissapear. That is it. That is the entire story.

So, how does a movie like this get funding and appear on major media? Cause I could have written a better plot if I was mentally challenged. Actually, giving a mentally challenged person the opportunity to write and direct a mysterious thriller would 100000x more interesting than story than a movie with cookie cutter b-style directing and a horrendous plot line.

Edit : Sorry if this is in the wrong category. Was not sure if it should be here or in the rant section.
edit on 8-7-2015 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Sounds rapturing…

enough of a plot for some.

As far as stupid plots, reminded me of this…
I say we hide behind the chain saws.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

So, how does a movie like this get funding and appear on major media? Cause I could have written a better plot if I was mentally challenged. Actually, giving a mentally challenged person the opportunity to write and direct a mysterious thriller would 100000x more interesting than tory.movie with cookie cutter b-style directing aAnna horrendous plot line.

If you can write a better story for movies....do it!

Start with this....

www.celtx.com...

When you are finished...u2u me and we can talk about production, funding, distribution, cast and crew, locations etc.

And to answer your question about how bad movies get funded....by attending events like this and selling your script, trailer, treatment etc. It's not easy!!!! and expensive, but you get what you pay for....

fadeinonline.com...

edit on 8-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Sounds rapturing…

enough of a plot for some.

As far as stupid plots, reminded me of this…
I say we hide behind the chain saws.

haHaHa. This basically sums up every b horror movie out there.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Join us in the indy film world. It's vibrant, creative and lots of fun.

Any one can now make a feature film with a dslr and a decent laptop.

There is always room for quality content and the potential to make a lot of money. There is also room for BS. I usually work for other producers as DP and some of the crap I shoot is astonishingly bad. Still the producers manage to find funding...in this industry it's now what you know but who.

TV is also a huge option for everything from movies, dramas, reality shows, everything.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Cause I could have written a better plot if I was mentally challenged. Actually, giving a mentally challenged person the opportunity to write and direct a mysterious thriller would 100000x more interesting than story than a movie with cookie cutter b-style directing and a horrendous plot line.

The gap in this reasoning tells that your potential story may not be any better.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You need to ask this question to the Sci/fi channel. The dreck they produce is amazzzzzzingly stupid, yet they keep pumping it out. What are they on now Sharknado 3?

Back in the 50s or 60s there was this guy named Ed Wood, who was enraptured with the movie industry. He looked at the movies and figured he could do just as well if not better than many others so he set about squeezing himself into the movie industry.

Long story short, he became the posterchild of bad movies and his movies, Ouuuuu stinkeroos. Yet now his clunkers are campy masterpieces to many. If you are interested, Johnny Depp plays Ed Wood in the movie about Ed Wood and the movie is titled "Ed Wood". It is my favorite Johnny Depp role, and the whole movie is a hoot,

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yeah, the shows on the syfy channel are just ridiculously awful, a total let down every single bloody time! I mean, come on dudes, why not at least attempt to make a decent show?

All I'm looking for is a series with a plot similar to stargate universe, combined with the realistic dialect of a HBO show. How awesome would that be?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Now I'll have to check it out, thanks or the tip.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

So, how does a movie like this get funding and appear on major media? Cause I could have written a better plot if I was mentally challenged. Actually, giving a mentally challenged person the opportunity to write and direct a mysterious thriller would 100000x more interesting than tory.movie with cookie cutter b-style directing aAnna horrendous plot line.

Start with this....

www.celtx.com...

When you are finished...u2u me and we can talk about production, funding, distribution, cast and crew, locations etc.

And to answer your question about how bad movies get funded....by attending events like this and selling your script, trailer, treatment etc. It's not easy!!!! and expensive, but you get what you pay for....

fadeinonline.com...

Interesting... I actually have an idea for a book/movie that could turn out decent. How much do script-writers usually earn off of movies?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The key to Ed Wood even GETTING a chance was that he had happened across the old actor who had become famous playing Dracula, Bela Lugosi. Lugosi had been down on his luck for a number of years and when Wood met him, befriended him and convinced him to star in a movie which Wood then proceeded to sell to some financiers. The actor who played Lugosi was Martin Landau who went on to win the best supporting actor Oscar for that year. He was so good in it that a number of times I actually forgot he was Martin Landau and not Lugosi himself.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

dbl post

edit on 31America/ChicagoWed, 08 Jul 2015 14:22:56 -0500Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:22:56 -050015072015-07-08T14:22:56-05:00200000022 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: olaru12

Start with this....

www.celtx.com...

fadeinonline.com...

Interesting... I actually have an idea for a book/movie that could turn out decent. How much do script-writers usually earn off of movies?

Depends...

There is a process that you need to follow to even get your script read. If it was easy everyone would do it.....

filmmakermagazine.com...

Write it first, register it with the WGA so it won't get stolen, let your friends read it then join the rest of us at the pitch fests.

My suggestion would be to start small with a few 10min festival pieces before starting on a feature.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I just watched a movie called "the brink" directed and written by Travis oats. I watched the film on showtime. It had decent directing, acting and 2 actors that I've seen star in major television shows. Yet, the story was absolutely HORRIBLE. Basically, a group of friends go to a remote cabin hotel that is supposed to have other people staying in it. Nobody is there, looks like they left in hurry. Friends decide to leave, but wait, they are all on empty. Not because a serial killer or something else depleted it, but because they did not stop and get gas on the way there. 3-4 cars all decided to drive there just hoping someone at the cabin had gas or something retarded like that. Now all of a sudden, friends start dissapearing. Then it's revealed that friends are just dissapearing into thin air. How is it revealed? One of the friends dissapears in front of them. And then they eventually all dissapear. That is it. That is the entire story.

So, how does a movie like this get funding and appear on major media? Cause I could have written a better plot if I was mentally challenged. Actually, giving a mentally challenged person the opportunity to write and direct a mysterious thriller would 100000x more interesting than story than a movie with cookie cutter b-style directing and a horrendous plot line.

Edit : Sorry if this is in the wrong category. Was not sure if it should be here or in the rant section.

Um... have you ever seen a movie called "The Human Centipede"?

If not, go watch it and then ask yourself the same questions. How does that kind of movie get a funding, not only a funding but funding I think for 2 additional sequels.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have never seen MST3K before, eh? Almost every movie they spoofed could be subject to the question you have posed and I should know, I've seen most of them.

You haven't lived until you have seen Manos:The Hands of Fate, which translates as Hands: The Hands of Fate, and Plan 9 From Outer Space. Yeah, no, sorry, that's a lie but if you are really brave then go watch them. I'll bet you a hundred bucks that flick you just watched is Citizen Kane compared to those two. I'll warn you, they ain't easy to sit through. Even with Joel and the Bots AND Torgo, Manos is still hard to watch. Plan 9 was never done by MST3K, so you'll just have to slog your way through that one on your own.

It's a guarantee you will lose brain cells by watching these flicks. So when you come out after seeing them with drool coursing down your chin, blabbering gibberish and pooping yourself, just remember: I told you so!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Believe it or not, there is actually a very active German "derivatives" market that makes a lot of money off of funding films so bad they post losses. To wealthy Germans, international film investments serve as a tax write-off which, at the end of the day, save them more money than they stand to lose if the movie is a total loss. Uwe Boll has effectively made a career out of gaming this financing model and, as a result, has made some of the worst movies in history. If you want to see this in action (and if you can bear the truly heinous acting, script, and direction) watch Boll's House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, the Bloodrayne movies, Postal, or Far Cry. He makes a lot of video game movies because the licenses are dirt cheap and much of the script/visual efforts have already been done for him, reducing his costs. He also does most of his filming in Vancouver because they offer a massive tax incentive for films shot there.

It's pretty ridiculous, really. I believe House of the Dead posted a near $10 Mil loss, yet the movie made Boll a huge amount of money personally in tax rebate incentives and kickbacks from investors who were able to each claim a share of that $10 Mil. loss as a tax write-off.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I just watched a movie called "the brink" directed and written by Travis oats.

Actually, it was called Don't Blink and it sucked donkeys.

Just wanted to get the title straight so no one else wastes 1 1/2 of their life like we did.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So, the system is broken, right?

Even a stupid thread such as this is a conspiracy. Making awful movies to save money, it doesn't get any better than that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

What are they on now Sharknado 3?

Yep, comes out soon. Sharknado 3: Aw Hell No

Thing is, you have to go into watching such movies knowing what you're in for...then it's just kind of funny and entertaining how bad they are.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Yea it is "don't blink". Sorry for the typo. This android tablet is horrible to right on, it probably spell checked the movie title. It actually changes words to entirely different words with spell check. It will also just add in random #ing words for no reason. It first spelled don't blink with dong blank. Or maybe with key e. It will randomly pick between adding an apostrophe or just changing the word to something else. Or it will just decide not to spell check at all and leave the word without proper grammar. It's like a #ing madman is running this keyboard tool on this tablet. There is no reasoning to this, I have seen it change my words to something entirely different to which i have never typed before.
EDIT: wow I actually proof read my sentences just to correct the androids word changes so my paragraph would be readable and what you see now is the android tablet actually changing the words AFTER I corrected the sentences and moved on to further typing. This is all with every keyboard spell check off. Hell, this paragraph would have be 10x worse if I did not proof read it 2 times. So frustrating, such a piece of shot.
edit on 10-7-2015 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join