It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Stays On Course For Another Shutdown Showdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well recently we've all been enjoying ripping at each other's throats over various social issues, so let's check in to see what our ever dysfunctional government is up to. Hey what a surprise, we are gearing up for Government Shutdown Squabble round #8,524,932.

Congress Stays On Course For Another Shutdown Showdown

Democrats who are angry that Republicans have proposed spending bills that hike defense while continuing to cut other domestic programs have begun to filibuster all of those appropriations measures in the Senate, saying it's the only way to make Republicans negotiate and compromise on some items sought by Democrats and President Barack Obama. Obama has also threatened to veto those bills.

Well at least THIS time it is the Democrats that are to blame for the feet dragging. So at least that is different. Though the consequences of a government shutdown are just more of the same...

Not incidentally, if Congress is still fighting over spending bills in September, when the fiscal year ends, not only will it be facing a government shutdown, but also a looming exhaustion of the nation's current $18.1 trillion debt limit. The country hit the limit in March, and the Treasury Department has been employing what are known as "extraordinary measures" to keep the bills paid. That ability should run out around November, at which point the nation would be facing a default if Congress does not act to raise the debt cap.

So what say you ATS? Another few months of pointless bickering, followed by a last minute game of "kick the can down the road"?
edit on 8-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The economy is booming.

Last I hear there was a surplus! Poverty has ended. Everything is good! Obama even let a handful of people out of prison, like five of them!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
When was the last shutdown ?

Because I've never seen the Federal-Government stop functioning in the 40 years I've been alive.

I seem to remember someone saying there was a federal shutdown, not long ago.. But they were still functioning enough to send out rangers to chase people off parks, rope off and guard monuments etc.. Didn't seem like they shutdown, soo much as decided you can't use the park anymore...

But other than that, when have they ever ceased functioning ?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

2013. United States federal government shutdown of 2013

Also not sure what YOU remember, but when the government shutdown there were MASSIVE talks of furloughs. The White House stopped offering tours, all the parks WERE closed. Did you not see the pictures of the barricade erected around the monument buildings in DC?

But in any case, I'm not worried about an actual shutdown, I'm more annoyed at yet ANOTHER pointless budget squabble going to be dragged out to the last minute so some crappy solution can be rammed through at the last minute, which is what happened to last so many times this has occurred. It is getting tedious.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes.. The shutdown government, was so shutdown that they had people on hand chasing people out of parks... Wait I'm pretty sure I mentioned that stuff in my first statement....

Furloughs for non-essential personal... Non-Essential.. Not concerned...

Point made, was the government didn't actually shutdown... Over a 17% percent budget cut in proposed spending increases, the money that shut them down wasn't even for the fiscal spending of the year they "shutdown". So the "issue" wasn't even an issue when the alleged shutdown happened..

With that in mind, again I'm not concerned about chicken-little....

But in any case, I'm not worried about an actual shutdown, I'm more annoyed at yet ANOTHER pointless budget squabble going to be dragged out to the last minute so some crappy solution can be rammed through at the last minute, which is what happened to last so many times this has occurred. It is getting tedious.

Absolute agreement with this sentiment. But lets be honest, they need these "end of the world" exaggerated and engineered situations. Otherwise people might actually, force them into using sane budgets.

And we know we can't have that...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

After watching Jesse Venturas video about how laws come to pass with literally no one there to vote against it, what do these morons do everyday?

They pass laws when no one is present. And can't get anything done when they are all present.

Our political system is a dysfunctional joke.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
When the government has to shut down the NSA spying program, the Gitmo torture facility, and the IRS, then I will take a government shutdown seriously.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
When the government has to shut down the NSA spying program, the Gitmo torture facility, and the IRS, then I will take a government shutdown seriously.

LOL Yep.. When the data farm in Utah doesn't turn on the lights one morning, i'll worry...

I do have to wonder though, will CNN & MSNBC be preaching death and destruction, doom upon us all like they did when they wanted the other party to be blamed ? I kind of doubt it, but it would be nice to see an equal standard in their reporting.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

For the little work I have seen come out of Washinton D C over the past several years, I am beginning to believe the government will have to be started up before it can be shut down.
There is "disfunction" and then there is "non-function"; with this bunch it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

You pretty much nailed it on the head.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

those networks will continue to repeat "republicans want to raise defense spending" time and time again as their tag line when they run with it ,think of it as that sub plot in house of cards(spoilers?) from a season or two ago when frank was dealing with the union and school strike and all the media in the show ran with the tag line "disorganized labor".

use the huff pro article as an example: look at the quote the op posted from the article (first one) but what does Huff Post show in bold in their quotes at tripple the size text

"I would hope that Republicans do the right thing". Steny Hoyer

www.nytimes.com... NY times goes a bit harsher saying the republicans plan to use spending bills to hamper him

WASHINGTON — From environmental and work force regulations to health care and contraception, congressional Republicans are using spending bills to try to dismantle President Obama’s policies, setting up a fiscal feud this fall that could lead to a government shutdown. Even a planned papal visit to Congress in late September has added to the intrigue as the clock on a budget deal winds down. “A lot of things are moving toward some kind of a climax,” said Representative Tom Cole, Republican of Oklahoma and a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, who is pushing for negotiations now rather than later. “I think we’re asking the pope to do too much, but hey, mood is important to the legislative process.” The House and Senate appropriations committees are churning out annual spending bills, dropping the bipartisanship that has long characterized the committees. The bills adhere to strict overall spending limits imposed in 2011 that Mr. Obama has already said he will not accept.

www.businessinsider.com...

buisness insiders take

Already they are deep into the blame game with Democrats over who would be responsible if a shutdown does happen, with House Speaker John Boehner denouncing Democrats' "dangerously misguided strategy" and House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi accusing Boehner and his Republicans of pursuing "manufactured crises." The funding deadline does not even arrive until Sept. 30, but lawmakers face more immediate tests, too. Near the top of the list is renewing highway funding before the government loses authority July 31 to send much-needed transportation money to the states right in the middle of summer driving season. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...
i had not heard of the highway funding issue before reading the above article so found that interesting

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
So what say you ATS? Another few months of pointless bickering, followed by a last minute game of "kick the can down the road"?

If history has anything to say about it...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

After watching Jesse Venturas video about how laws come to pass with literally no one there to vote against it, what do these morons do everyday?

They pass laws when no one is present. And can't get anything done when they are all present.

Our political system is a dysfunctional joke.

No, our politicians are a dysfunctional joke. The system would work if we could get some people with integrity, work ethic, and the best interest of freedom as their foundations into office.

The system can work, but it's the egos of the operators of the system that fail us on a daily basis.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Lol. I know right? What's sad is that that is the goto solution we think of when these issues come up these days. When that is the default answer you pick because it is the only one that politicians can agree on, its time to clean house.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Yep, I'm a huge advocate of hitting a reset button and starting from people who have never held office before.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

My motto has always been to vote against the incumbent.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

But that's hard for me, as I really, really like my congressman (Thomas Massie). He basically votes no on everything.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

IMO a constitutional amended would be a good fix. Replace the mid term elections with a constitutional provision that triggers an congressional election if a budget isn't passed within 90 days of the required cut off date.

The partisan deadlock in Washington will contribute to furthering the US economic woes. I think the likes of Ted Cruz will continue to ensure that political deadlock remains for the next five years.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

That's a brilliant idea, but we need Congress to be functional to pass an amendment...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Congress (and Congressional Candidates) and the President (and Presidential Candidates) should be required by law to fully disclose the amounts of money contributed to them, their campaigns, their PACs etc. along with any donor information.

Oh, and if you want to get a sense of the 114th Congresses Work Production ... from January to July thus far, 30 bills have been sent to the President. So, however you want to calculate it: 30/190 days, 5/month.

Who among you wouldn't be fired outright for posting such abysmal numbers.

edit on 7Thu, 09 Jul 2015 07:18:30 -050015p072015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join