It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Is Trying to Take Away the Right to a Weekend

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Wait people get weekends off?.
Not ever had a job monday to friday.
Ah I can dream...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold
And today The Jar of Mayonnaise said that we need to work longer hours.
Silver Spoon Dinkweed
Tell me it is not a plan by these people who haven't worked a real day in their lives.
edit on 8-7-2015 by ugmold because: addition

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

He might be targeting the part time jobs.

Full time is always better.

That way you get overtime paid at higher rates.

Unions are all for that right?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: crayzeed
In the Uk they bought this in a while ago and what happens is as people are desperate for money they volunteer but after a few months the employer changes the parameters.

The Federal Government determined what constitutes the weekend and who is eligible for overtime, state law cannot circumvent that.

Then the question arises which days do you have off (as no man can work 7 days, 52 weeks) this leaves it open for the employer to decide when you have off.

When I first bought my restaurant I worked over a year straight without one day off.

Evil 1% are Ya?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

C'mon he is a God Damned Bush.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So Walker signs a bill letting people work if they want and liberals heads explode because.....It's Walker. After the heads explode a bunch of "something bad is going to happen" scenarios are made up to justify exploding heads.
What a circle jerk....

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

originally posted by: xuenchen

C'mon he is a God Damned Bush.

But what if he becomes President and gets jobs flowing again?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Evil 1% are Ya?

Maybe like mostly evil 5%.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

snip....

Do you know how tough it is to take an employer to court for labour code violations?

Yup, been there, done that. You gather the evidence and make a call to the nearest Labor Board and tell them the story, supply the evidence and they begin an investigation. If your evidence proves your claim, they are fined for violating the labor laws. It happens all the time, and not just to businesses, but even to government-run agencies also despite the fact that many of the people running those agencies are under the impression that they are exempt from US labor laws.
I once had an administrator of a quasi-government organization (Tennessee Valley Authority) tell me to my face, "Those laws don't apply to us." It took an official visit from the Labor Dept. to disabuse him of that notion.

I'm absolutely amazed that the same people poo-pooing the slippery slope on other social issues bringing it up on this one!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

From what I'm reading all this does is give the employee the right to work 7 days a week if they so choose?

I don't see where employers can force anybody to work a 7 day week without their express consent. Or am I reading that wrong?

~Tenth

Competition inevitably means having the option to do something means having to do it. If you don't work for 7 days in a row, your employer will simply hire someone else that's willing to and then you're out of a job.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Oh how terrible! Then Wisconsin would be like everywhere else....

If you guys/gals don't have to work weekends, you are lucky as is....

Sure would be nice to have the "right to a weekend"...My lord, people really don't want to work do they? Do what you freaking have to so you can support you or your family....That includes working weekends unfortunately....Sorry

It only takes what it takes if the bottom of the market is regulated by the human breaking point, rather than by the law.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Right, so you do have 'rest days' -- but retail & service jobs do have low activity times that allow for skeleton crews and sending people home when things are 'dead'.

Maybe you'd agree with me if I said it another way - retail has 'busy times/busy seasons/rush hours' when a bigger staff is required.

So back on topic - the "Everyone had to have two days off though usually not two in a row " would be optional and your staff would not require these 2 days off a week ... if this passes.
edit on 7/9/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

No doubt there are times when more and times when fewer people were needed in the way of sales staff but behind the scenes the office was staffed and customer service was on the phones and delivery was out there and pick up was staffed as well as a warehouse. These folks always worked holidays and weekends and seldom got two days off in a row.
Anyway I'm ranting. Yes they got rest time and even vacation times.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

From what I'm reading all this does is give the employee the right to work 7 days a week if they so choose?

I don't see where employers can force anybody to work a 7 day week without their express consent. Or am I reading that wrong?

~Tenth

Yeah, well... buh...but...that doesn't make it sound like Scott Walker is evil.
Get with the program; we're demonizing Republicans here by twisting facts.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Weekend what's that and what month do I celebrate it in.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Is the right to have the weekend off specifically enumerated in the federal or that (or any) states Constitution? How did this picture in someones head become a universal right all must adhere to?

Hopefully you can put in your 40 hours and be offered overtime for as much extra work as you choose. THAT is the ultimate in excellence.

Whatever day of the week that falls on only is important to some religious sects. Limitations you CHOOSE to place upon yourself for religious, opening day of hunting season, whatever reason is your choice.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This law is fantastic. It is 100% VOLUNTARY and allows people to work on the weekends if they choose. Years ago I was working for a large company in Milwaukee and trying to save up for a new car, I was offered to work on a day(Sunday) that would've paid me triple time, I was ecstatic. Well as the day came closer, I was told I could not work that day unfortunately because of labor laws ad the fact that I worked to many days in a row already. I wish this was in place during that time. I know many small MFG shops that have steep time-lines that could really benefit from having a few voluntary employees come in every Sunday and get some of that work pounded out.

I have a lot of liberal teachers in my family and they are all complaining about this extensively. I just shake my head. Really ladies? You've never worked 7 days in a row your entire lives and this law does not impact you at all. Anyone complaining about this is strictly doing so on the basis of their hatred of conservatives and Scott Walker. Again...VOLUNTARY!!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
They better be happy they even have jobs. When Jeb and the neocons take over again, more jobs will be outsourced overseas so the Corporate profit cycle can be renewed, expanded and solidified.

We used to make steel in this country...now we make happy meals...

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
With the advent of the ACA , hours were cut to 30hrs a week . That was what is considered a "full work week" per that monstrosity . To be able to cut costs that the businesses were incurring for the increased payments they contribute to the employees health insurance premium they went with the 30 hrs.So now , a lot of people are feeloing that 1/4 cut from the paychecks. So is the government . Could this be what everyone is talking about ?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'm curious for all of you who are hyperventilating at the thought that Wisconsin might allow people to choose to work more than 5 days a week:

1.) Are there other states that currently allow this?

2.) If there are, has the much-feared apocalypse of no time off EVER occurred in those states yet?

If so, you should easily be able to prove your fears. Right?

This is the challenge I get when I get I express fears over loss of freedom of religion. So fair is fair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join