It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000-Year-Old Collar on Bobcat a Strange Finding for Archaeologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
2,000-Year-Old Collar on Bobcat a Strange Finding for Archaeologists

A 2,000-year-old collar-wearing bobcat that was buried in a sacred site alongside a group of Hopewell Native Americans in Illinois was most likely viewed as a beloved, though highly unusual, pet, according to a study published last week by Dr. Angela Perri in the Midcontinental Journal of Archeology.

According to Nature World News, no other wildcat has been buried alongside humans in the entire archaeological record. This bobcat was buried with its paws respectfully placed together and wearing a necklace composed of bear teeth and marine animals. It was estimated to be about four to seven months old at the time of its burial.
“It’s surprising and marvelous and extremely special,” said Melinda Zeder, a zooarchaeologist at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History, according to Science magazine.

Although Zeder was not involved in the study herself, she told Science magazine that it is unclear whether or not the bobcat was a pet or a revered and spiritually-significant animal.

“I’ve never seen anything like it in almost 70 excavated mounds,” said Kenneth Farnsworth, a Hopewell expert at the Illinois State Archeological Survey. “Somebody important must have convinced other members of the society that [the burial] must be done. I’d give anything to know why.”

Loving ancient history, pets and being of Native descent I found this story very interesting. Growing up, my Brother in law was given a kitten which was 50/50 Bobcat/domestic cat. Of course he named it "Bobby" and yup it was a hand full and much stronger and more agile than most Domestic cats.

Even though it was a half breed it still had the natural bobbed tail and little ear whiskers on top.

Thought some here would enjoy this.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Nice find, Slayer!

I grew up in an area of the Plains where one didnt know if a mound was glacial deposits or a tribal creation. Farmers would find artifacts of all sorts and just keep them and plow over the area, not the mounds mind you, but around them.

Still much to learn about the Hopewell and North America in general. I expect more surprises like Bobcat collars or even wilder will be found with time.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The Hopewell Natives were an incredible group of humans.

I'm sure there is a massive hole in our understanding of their culture and society, beyond what we assume from digs and findings. To see that they may have had bobcats as highly regarded pets reminds me of the Egyptians and their cat obsessions.

Similarities that those archaeologists may want to consider researching.

I believe there may be a connection but maybe it was just a pet.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This bobcat was buried with its paws respectfully placed together and wearing a necklace composed of bear teeth and marine animals.

Sounds like a pet to me. Or a failed pet. People today get baby exotic pets because they are cool and cute, but they grow up and since they are wild animals they become uncontrollable. If this one was five to seven months, maybe thats why they killed it? Did they even have 'domesticated' cats back then?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Is someone smoking crack again?
From the article.....

“This is the closest you can get to finding taming in the archaeological record,” Perri said. “They saw the potential of this animal to go beyond wild.”

Call me crazy but didn't other indigenous peoples domesticate wolves, Aurocks? (sp) Reindeer, ect......Kinda way back as long as humans have been around? Since most of the Hopewell sites have been trashed by farming maybe it's just surprising to the local anthro"s??? Still.....very ignorant.

Most Native tribes worked with wild animals in some capacity, so this is surprising to them WHY????
Banging head on keyboard.....

( hissy fit over.....)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Great thread and nice to know that those of us who luv our cats have a long ancestry of worship, may it continue.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Go kitties!!

new topics

top topics

join