It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with violence in video games lately?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
(post by TheLotLizard removed for a manners violation)
(post by 9thWatcher removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard They has been about the same for a long time, especialy a lot of the FPS games. I play Wartune, myself, and it's about 2/3 and 1/3. 2/3fighting whether it is PVE , PVP or Player V monster (s) and the other 1/3 creative building of your character and other activities. The fighting is not overly violent, either. There are a lot of games out there like that. If that is the type you like, whether on PC a gaming system or online, you should be able to find something you like.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The best game I have played was Titanic: Adventure out of Time on pc. At a young age I would just cruise about the ship having the living day lights scared out of me by the music haha and a certain scene of a man being killed by electrocution in a Turkish bath.

As I got older I got into the storyline of it and it's only taken up to a few years ago to understand the politics in it. Certain things like world war 1 and the events leading up to world war 2. It's an oldish game from about 1997 but for its time the graphics and character interaction were ahead of their league.

It had a few violent scenes of you having to fist fight people and if you do some of the story objectives wrong someone could shoot and kill you. But almost all of it was pretty much you trespassing around the titanic at 3 am figuring out puzzles to get items that bring alternate endings.

But the game is based on history, explanation, and problem solving. Definitely worth a look.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I remember a game back in the 90s, for the Amiga. I think it was called Police Squad. Basically you were a detective and had to solve a case, but you got to live the day to day life of a cop. Was really good back in the day, and was quite open-ended, which was rare on games in those days. Amiga had some great games...Sensible Soccer was the best game ever, and Cannon Fodder. Fair enough, Cannon Fodder was ultra violent

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Oh and I cant forget Broken Sword. The good old point and click adventure

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gdt26

One non violent game that came to mind of recent times is Animal Crossing..

But that game weirds me out now after reading some convincing evidence that it's plotted on child abduction and slavery.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

What about everyones favourite game...Candy Crush

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89
I wish more games would come out that didn't have to have violence too. However I think the reason it exists in our games to the extent it does is because of our instictive fight or flight responses and our desire to conquer our environment.

However there are plenty of games I enjoy that arent violent. The Sims, Portal, any Need for Speed or Forza racing game. Many others enjoy sports games too.

The sims you can drown/burn your character and kill them. And the ending of portal you have to kill a giant robot.

They have to throw a little bit of it in there lol.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Violence in games has NOT gotten worse!
Improvements on graphics and gore has.

Majority of recent violent games are sequels!!!
For example Doom and fallout.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If we are honest, video games, give us all the chance to live things which we cant do in real life. They are mostly about doing fun stuff that we dont get to do in our boring everyday lives. Example...in Grand Theft Auto if some cuts you up in their car, you can force them off the road then beat them. Im sure we've all thought about doing that to someone who drives like an idiot, but we cant, because we are generally civilised. Of course in that game, you can also pull oit a rocket launcher and blow them up, but thats maybe a bit extreme

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yeah I don't think the OP is much of a gamer, maybe just an outside observer. Games have always been this way and they always will be, just like movies and TV.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Go check out Steam. There are plenty of games there that don't have killing as a theme. Try one like Banished. It's devilishly hard, and if you aren't any good at building and maintaining a proper village, your villagers will die, but you don't have to kill anything to play it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Lately? If you are a die hard gamer than surely you should know that video games have ALWAYS been about killing. Mario hops on a goomba's head, flattens it, then it disappears. I mean come on. It's an easy and cheap mechanic to create artificial difficulty. It's so effective that no company can design a better mechanism.

As for game's that flex your mind, I have no problem locating those. I really enjoy platformers since you have to figure out where the next ledge is and perform the correct maneuver to get there. RPG's are a good way to hone your calculation abilities with min/maxing. And every now and then we get a true gem of a puzzle game like the Portal series.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Mortal Kombat made violence and blood very clear back in the days. Most games people like have violence in them.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Not much of a gamer huh? That's why I own just about every game available on the Xbox One and PS4.

I never said games were never violent, maybe when pong came out, but lately that's all games amount to. It's not going to sway me from playing videogames. It's just boring and unoriginal to keep the same 4 games and pump out a new version every year. I've noticed people are starting to wane from videogames and unless a developer thinks outside the box with something new the gaming industry will fail in 20 years.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
a reply to: Prezbo369
I never said games were never violent, maybe when pong came out, but lately that's all games amount to. It's not going to sway me from playing videogames. It's just boring and unoriginal to keep the same 4 games and pump out a new version every year. I've noticed people are starting to wane from videogames and unless a developer thinks outside the box with something new the gaming industry will fail in 20 years.

If you can say "Games are lately all about violence" then you clearly have no concept of games in general. Even to say that the majority of games are about violence is to commit intellectual dishonestly.

Some of the most hyped-up games are sports games and racing games, and they take up a huge population in the gaming industry. Some of the most successful and profitable games ever created are about farming, puzzles, or strategy that doesn't require violence.

Perhaps it's a matter of you only playing a specific genera or a number of genera that almost exclusively have some violent content in it that is the issue here.

Sorry, But I just cannot see how your argument is the least bit accurate.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I really don't see your point here. The objective in Mario is to kill Bowser and that was made years ago. I think there is actually a more variety of non violent games now such as minecraft, sports games, puzzle games etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join