It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you your own Guinea pig?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I love stories about how people take charge of their own health with alternative, creative, or even kooky self-experiments. Here's a thread for our own attempts to find hidden cures.

Tried intermittent fasting? What did you think? Do you swear by apple cider vinegar? Do you live on beer and bacon? Tried melatonin?

In my own experiments, garcinia cambogia was a waste...surprise, surprise. Switching to a standing desk has been awesome, because I'm more alert and less cranky. And after making fun of the whole gluten free fad for years, I must say it has been bizarre how much better I feel since I started it in May. Lost almost 20 lbs, my joints don't hurt, and my periods are somewhat normal.

We can't go spouting our health regimes at dinner parties, but we can here!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Eating less gives me more energy.

Eating as much as 'they' recommend leaves me kind of sluggish.

Going too long without eating makes me get weak/loopy (If I havent eaten that day, I'll force myself to eat a fair, high quality meal w/lots of good stuff by the late evening). I often skip breakfast and even lunch half of the time, but drink a beer if I am home and not eating that meal. It calms me and gives me some calories if im too stressed out to eat. If im not home, this of course isn't an option. I suppose if I made a fair bit of money working somewhere and got one of those official hour long lunch breaks, Id go to a resturant and blow some cash on a lunch with a beer. Hey, the Spanish drink a beer and even take a nap afterward, in the middle of the day, lol.

Anyways, I've found when I am skipping meals for any reason and finally break down and eat, I go for meat. I eat lots of meat. Not paleo style but it is the center of every meal I eat, usually (except for mac and cheese etc, but even then .. bacon bits).

I'm 6 foot 1, and usually between 155 and 160lbs.

edit on 7/7/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Interesting. Was it a conscious decision you made to get to that pattern? Or did it come from your schedule? Or were you just noticing how your body felt after meals?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Well, to be honest, it comes from gastrointestinal problems and anxiety. I've had both at fairly different levels of bad my entire life, and certain foods will send me to the bathroom within 5 minutes of tasting them as if I had taken a colon cleanser. My natural movements tend to be loose also and always have been.

So, I've noticed whenever I need to go do something important or that I am stressed out, which is everyday lately due to life matters, I adopt that pattern without trying to. When things are going decent, I tend to slowly slide into a more normal pattern of eating several times a day, and even sometimes a little too much or the wrong thing, and often end up sick to my stomach during those periods.

But when I'm in stress mode pattern, my guts are impeccable, even if I eat once every 15 to 20 hours. Stomach acid is a major problem and I take a generic lansoprazole (prevacid) once a day, which keeps it at bay, but it does flare regularly and requires tums.
edit on 7/7/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing more. It sounds like you have a good system worked out. And I hope your current stress gets smoothed out.

Also, isn't it funny what an impact poop has on how we feel? We stop talking about it after preschool, but constipation can really mess up a camping trip, or its opposite, as well.
edit on 020152015k23111America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: Poop is important!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Lol; there's an underlying effect from constipation. People have made jokes about it, if you're in a bad mood etc, but it's true. Sometimes I just couldn't figure out wtf was off, why I felt the way I did, then plop and all better, relieved and lightened and .. even less anxious. But, beforehand, wasn't consciously anxious about needing to go to begin with, so couldn't have been purely mental you see.

Likewise with the opposite, except that's much more noticeable to oneself I'd like to think.

You said gluten free made your joints stop hurting? I could try that.
edit on 7/8/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hahaha! Plop!

Yeah, I didn't even realize how stiff & creaky I was until I cut out the grain. I feel great. I do miss beer, though.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've fought off gum disease with unconventional means after I was faced with having thousands of dollars worth of surgery and no guarantee that I wouldn't lose my teeth anyway.
I stopped using commercial toothpaste, went with a plant elixir I found on the net and began getting regular adjustments of my jaw alignments from my chiropractor.
My dentist was and is amazed. He says I'm the first patient he's had in nearly 30 years of practicing that has actually beat that monster and kept teeth.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Yeah, I didn't even realize how stiff & creaky I was until I cut out the grain. I feel great. I do miss beer, though.

Never fear though, wine is excellent for you, far better than beer.
edit on 7/8/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
A very interesting post, thank you

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt
Awesome! What is in the elixir you found?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I have been on a peculiar diet for over two years now.I eat mostly veggie,(no meat or fish)with cheese and occasionally eggs-sort of paleo.

Because I was frustrated at my lack of progress in the gym,I started eating 5,000 kcals a day just two weeks ago.Now I feel fantastic and I'm filling out nicely.

That's a lot of cheese and nuts.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Ericthedoubter because: Removed a rogue "r"

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
a reply to: diggindirt
Awesome! What is in the elixir you found?

Since I don't know about specifically recommending commercial sites on this forum check your private messages. I'm sending you a link.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I drink freshly brewed jasmine tea! and oolong! I brew it right in my teapot.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
and coconut oil pulling! and stabilized 3% hydrogen peroxide for my mouth.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter That sounds really healthy...and delicious! Your new post about it is rad. You're doing a great job at self control and eating beautifully, it sounds like.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt Really cool. It would make and interesting article to dig deep on all the points they make about conventional dental care. Thanks for the link!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen Mmmm, Jasmine and coconut. What are the effects you've seen?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
after I swish coconut oil in my mouth for a half hour, it feels very clean. healthier gums and whiter teeth.

and drinking jasmine tea strangely helped me quit smoking cigarettes and an immunity booster, good for cardiovascular disease and free radical scavenger

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

This herbalist is really good for information and he covers a lot of subjects
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join