It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghostly Lincoln Funeral Train

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
wish the train came through a little closer this way (Winchester, VA). I'd definitely spend some of my time checking this one out. Sigh..... oh well. *BUMP* because it's close to the anniversary. Ghost trains are great ghost stories.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Okay .. I started this thread a little over 9 years ago. I'm doing the 'bump' thing so new folks can see it. I'm sure some of the links dont' work anymore, but the 'train times' that I posted at the start are still valid. I still have hopes that some ATS ghost hunters will do a proper investigation of this. I've been fascinated with this since I was a kid. I've done some light weight hunts of this but not a real good one. Maybe this year .... (health depending) ...

Anyways ... *BUMP* ... for those interested.

The time for the ghost train is coming up again in just two months ... so time to get ready if you want to do the ghost hunt for it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You may like this. Some people are organizing a reenactment of the Lincoln funeral train for 2015, the 150th anniversary of the trip, apparently to be taken along the same route. Choo choo! I haven't read the entire site, but his should be, if it occurs, quite a sight and will likely get lots of press and attention. Seems they are not getting the funding they are looking for, but who knows, the guy in charge seems dedicated to this honoring of the historical event and the era.

www.the2015lincolnfuneraltrain.com...

David H. Kloke, master mechanic, is the owner of Kloke Construction and Kloke Locomotive Works, LLC, and has been in the construction business for 40 years. His passion to build the Leviathan locomotive came from watching a documentary about Abraham Lincoln. Now, building a replica of the Lincoln Funeral car, Dave’s goal is to present an accurate, operating 19th-century steam locomotive and train to re-create Lincoln’s journey into history. Dave has spent hundreds of hours researching and securing detailed blueprints and molds for the Leviathan steam engine, as well as Lincoln’s funeral car. Through Dave’s generosity, he is bringing history back to life.

edit on 3-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

OMG OMG OMG ... that's so cool. Creepy ... but oh so cool.
I wonder if it's going to follow the route? I wonder if tickets are available?

Awesome. Thanks for posting this info. I'll have to look into it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

You're very welcome. This looks like the most interesting page on the site www.the2015lincolnfuneraltrain.com... with a couple of videos. The people organizing this seems approachable (and interested in fundraising, but aren't we all). They have a link about "bring the train to your town" so I hope that they are going to stick to the exact route and not run it around the country, at least during the event itself.

They may not have thought of selling tickets, so you may be first in line (but hold on to your checkbook). That would be a good way to raise some money, if they could afford the insurance.

Here's one of the videos about what's built already (the locomotive) and his building of the funeral car itself.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This is one of the coolest folklore items of all time. I grew up in Herkimer NY (April 26, 7:50 pm) and us kids practically raised ourselves on those tracks. As a kid, I had heard of the Lincoln Ghost Train, but never knew that the real train had glided by our town on the very tracks I grew up on. I never thought it would've gone as far north in its journey to Illinois.

Very eerie place, those tracks. I do remember a completely silent train (much more modern looking, though) slip by the bunch of us as we were walking (it was the late spring of 1973) from our access bridge (situated next to Johnny Glogowski's backyard) to the "train bridge" (a swimming hole/party spot on the W. Canada Creek) and being surprised that I couldn't hear it but I could hear our sneakers crunching on the gravel as we walked. Years later, (summer of 1998) I was helping a friend move (she was there on the tracks walking with us on that night) and she asked me "do you remember the silent train?" - that exact question, and no other explanation about the question. Of course I remembered it. I was floored because I'd brought that incident up to my brother, and one of the other guys some months after the incident had happened, and they'd thought I was nuts. They hadn't seen anything. I never talked about it except for those two instances (my brother and Johnny Glog) again. Definitely never to her.

The oddest thing was that she didn't feel the need to recall to me the story about it, as you'd expect if two close friends hadn't ever spoken about the incident or could've ever even known that the other had also experienced it, which was the case. She simply brought it up out of the blue and expected me to understand exactly what she was referring to - which I did immediately. We'd never admitted to each other that we'd both seen it. And when I say we saw it, we were (at most) ten feet from the tracks that the train was on, and it just suddenly showed up and bathed everything in its powerful headlight as it slipped slowly, silently by and then I actually don't remember an entire train of boxcars behind the engine, but that was pretty common to see too. An engine arrangement with no boxcars behind it, making its way from here to there.

So, I know that I did see this train, and I know that it was completely silent. Real trains are loud as hell, and none of us would've been ignoring a train as it went by only ten feet away from us. They're pretty deafening up close like that.

I know it wasn't the Lincoln Ghost Train, but it was something unusual. Makes you wonder about Residual Information and what makes it visually manifest like that at times, and to only a select number of people within a given location.

edit on 2/3/2014 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Almost ten years ago you posted this and you are still trying to see if anyone could document this, thats dedication

I would like to see this story be true and some evidence to back it up, but thumps up for your constant updates through those years

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

do they serve food and drinks aboard?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I have become recently interested in this as well. I became introduced to this story in an odd way. About a year ago my husband told me a strange story about him and one of his friends walking along the train tracks (in the Holmesburg/ Tacony section of Philadelphia) he said they were walking and all the sudden they seen the head lights (like that of a train coming ) and they heard the loud noise of a train approaching. They ducked down (I guess behind some wall or object I forget exactly- it was some weird thing they used to do to get real close to the trains speeding by) and waited for the train to go by but it never came. They got up and looked and the train disappeared. That story intrigued me the idea of a disappearing train, and believe me my husband isn't the type that is into paranormal to make anything like that. He's more of the aloof jock type, which is funny cause he never persued the experience after that and never discussed it with anyone which I found odd. I did some research and came across the Lincoln ghost train and wondered if this is what he saw. The time of year also coincided as he remembered it was spring as he was still in school and the weather at the time. Just thought I'd share that and thank you for your clarification that the train actually did pass by that area as that was something I was uncertain of for some time

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
2 or 3 nights ago, I was on some kind of train in one of my obe's.
do remember seeing some olden type railroad crossing and some white cat came
and sat on my shoulders. I could feel her weight

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Haha! I totally remember this.
It's been awhile.

I hardly capitalized the starting of my sentences often back then.
I never saw any train but we did go look for it I recall.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join