It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French munitions theft: Around 200 detonators and grenades stolen from military site

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Hi Peter,

I agree that the sale of AN is regulated, but to be honest I know of plenty of stocks of AN, I live in the country, on a farm and it's really not hard to get hold of. In 2009 up to 95% of IEDs used in Afghan consisted of an ANFO device. Additionallly, UN can also be used in place of AN, UN is extremely easy to produce. Reference

Apparently there was a 'stock' of plastic also stolen, makes a rather effective "big surface wave front" as you put it!

Although I agree with your comment that a child could make a detonator, I believe you are being rather disingenuous just to be argumentative. Making a 100% reliable detonator is not child's play and in an amateur production environment potentially very dangerous, often involving highly sensitive compounds or the use of flash powders. Making 200 highly reliable detonators would take a considerable effort, being given 200 would be a terrorists wet dream.

Either way, the introduction of 200 professionally made detonators, a quantity of HE grenades and a stock of plastic on to the black market cannot be considered a trivial matter!

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Looks like this is the first thing it has lead to already: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
Looks like this is the first thing it has lead to already: www.abovetopsecret.com...

How do you figure? That story is about some "electronic device" that started a couple fires, not plastic explosives and hand grenades.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

How do you figure? That story is about some "electronic device" that started a couple fires, not plastic explosives and hand grenades.

Seriously? I want to assume you're being sarcastic, but seems you're not. Take the time to read both articles linked. "Electronic device" is their way of saying they found remnants of a bomb at the facility.

People in the thread were mocking how the French authorities made it sound as if it was a cell phone or something. You could even google it for yourself, French authorities have already stepped up security anywhere explosives are stored because they think this is the first of the stolen plastique and detonators.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join