It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers infiltrate Patriot Missiles Owned by Germany

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Not even parts. There was a huge uproar, and Northrop Grumman and Honeywell were facing huge fines for using $2 Chinese magnets in radar and landing gear components.

Even if it's inadvertent, you could be fined in the hundreds of millions depending on what the parts are.
edit on 7/7/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
I missed a potential hacker:

CHINA

Apparently,two years ago,China hacked the Patriot missile system.
www.usnews.com...

Good grief.
With the Chinese war philosophy(Tsun Zu),this only adds to my worries.
If they wished to further destroy the US/allies via warfare,China possibly have the knowhow to hack patriot missiles.
Imagine if they wished to make it appear that the US/Germany or anyone else who owns patriots had launched a strike against an enemy..
The perfect false flag.

I am thinking I should have posted this in the WW3 forum rather than the middle east issues forum.

The more I think about this,the more worrying it becomes.

WOW! That article linked on China is absolutely devastating. No wonder they make statements about their missiles can overwhelm Aegis. They have the designs right from the US. They also stole the W88 Miniature Nuclear Warhead design back when Clinton was in office. I say miniature as to previous warheads that allowed the missiles to have MIRV's.

I also agree the Patriot hack is very concerning since allies have the only warplanes flying around the area. This repeated losing of high tech weapon data to enemies should have a major investigation, security upgrade, and people responsible for slacking on security should have their a$$ kicked if not be tried for treason.

I will not be sleeping any better at night. I guess that is why the government keeps crying about security. Because THEY are completely inept!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Which is why systems are upgraded, and changed. The Aegis that China got the plans for isn't the same Aegis that's sailing around now. And Aegis has always been able to be overwhelmed. Any system can be.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I am hoping they have new systems now and take account of the fact that some so called allies with US equipment sell them to dodgy countries.

Like Zaphod said.

The best secrets are kept secret I hope.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Which is why systems are upgraded, and changed. The Aegis that China got the plans for isn't the same Aegis that's sailing around now. And Aegis has always been able to be overwhelmed. Any system can be.

Thanks, that is good to know! How are these things able to be done? Are they using MS to run the systems? I would think they would have highly secure proprietary software. It reminds me of the Balkan war when US spy satellites were piping down live UNSCRAMBLED video and the enemy was able to pick it up and see the operations.

I don't know who is behind these kinds of ignorant decisions but it seems to me that we have a serious issue. Which raises the question of our ability to do the same to China or other weapons systems. I know about stuxnet and Iran, so I would think we had a robust capability as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

a reply to: starwarsisreal

Not even parts. There was a huge uproar, and Northrop Grumman and Honeywell were facing huge fines for using $2 Chinese magnets in radar and landing gear components.

Even if it's inadvertent, you could be fined in the hundreds of millions depending on what the parts are.

I do remember the CIA intercepting a printer in Amman Jordan that was headed to Iraqi AF Command. They changed a chip in it that blanked out their Air Force's radar monitors and they couldn't figure out where the problem was until it was too late.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

They're hacking the development companies. There was a huge breach of VPN keys that left their internal networks vulnerable. They were able to use that to grab a bunch of data.

It's somewhat blown out of proportion in that they got bits and pieces of programs, not wholesale plans for most of them.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Which is why they don't allow use of Chinese chips in US systems. You can still see the uproar over just over 100 F-35s using just magnets. That's the only program I've seen in recent years that has anything from China in it, and that was only allowed because of replacement costs and time, along with the fact that they're just magnets, they can't hurt anything.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

You may as well add Iran to the list seeing they captured that drone awhile back . They might even make a bigger boogie man at this point .I can imagine the phone call from bibi telling them to next time to add Iran to the list of possible suspects .Ah what to heck put Greece on there too . :>)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Iran didn't hack the Sentinel, they spoofed it and got it to crash land. There's a huge difference.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You can still see the uproar over just over 100 F-35s using just magnets.
Maybe the uproar part is for public consumption to make them think that they care .But then again making a big fuss to convince a public that they really don't care about anyway makes no sense . Too be fare the magnets make no sense at all .Maybe it was a diversionary story created at the time .

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Spoofed ,hacked ,...they got it to do something ,which I am sure it was not designed to do .

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

That is good that they only got bits and pieces. I was working when the Cisco Routers scam broke, China had made exact copies of Cisco routers and you could only tell by certain parts.

Source

There were several other counterfeit Cisco products sent in. They are at the source.
These were sold to the military through Cisco Partners.

edit on 7/7/15 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

And when have we seen a transponder hacked and/or turned off remotely?

Even if these were hacked, getting them to fire on an aircraft or hide the transponder isn't the easiest thing to do.

Even if its impossible to hack or turn off a transponder-if someone can hack a missile battery,then maybe said battery can be instructed to ignore the usual protocol of not firing upon a transponder equipped aircraft.

That is worrying to me,but I am having an evening of worry so maybe I am over reacting.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I worked in the fastener field and there was a scrap policy came out on a full line of Allen head cap screws .That was back in the mid 80's . and I think it was boat loads from China that had hit the market . They just didn't have the integrity they should have . high strength and hardness .

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

How does it not make sense?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No, it did just what it was supposed to do when it received confusing information. But there's a major difference between the two.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Which is why there are protocols in place to alleviate that risk.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Maybe it is now a "performing" missile and that is part of the unexplained order.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Not good at all.
Especially as they don't know what the orders were.
Hopefully not a time delayed rogue launch command..

To be fair, it doesn't say they don't know what the orders were, but rather they were unexplained, as in they don't know why it did whatever it did, but they still know what it did.

I am curious though how they managed to gain access to it though.... My dad worked on these when the UK was evaluating them back in the 90's - I'll have to quiz him when I see him next.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join