It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: F-16, small plane collide in midair over South Carolina

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Federal officials say an F-16 fighter jet and a small plane have collided in midair in South Carolina.

The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement Tuesday that the fighter jet collided with a Cessna C150 around 11 a.m. The collision happened about 11 miles north of Charleston.

Col. Cindi King of the South Carolina Air National Guard says the F-16 involved in the crash did not belong to the Guard.

Source

Seems like a strange collision to me. An F-16 and a Cessna C150? Guessing it was a fairly low altitude collision?

Maybe our resident aircraft folks will know more.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

It really wouldn't be that hard for it to happen. Both types are small and extremely hard to see, even if you know it's there. If the Cessna was flying VFR, the Viper pilot may not even have known it was flying in the area until it was too late.

The F-16 was from the 55th Fighter Squadron at Shaw AFB. It came down at Monck's Corner. The exhaust section landed against an RV.
edit on 7/7/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm hoping the fighter pilot wasn't trying to scare the Cessna by pulling a Top Gun - Maverick style fly by!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Wow! I think I heard that coming back from town.
I guess I will go to Charleston by way of Mount Pleasant this evening. If I can find anything out that is of use I will post the info later.
(Will be visiting a dead friend this evening)
FYI: The Cessna may have been out of East Cooper Airport in Mount Pleasant. Common flight path would put it about at that 11 mile mark near Nucor Steel And BP on the Cooper River in Berkely Co.
Local news: www.postandcourier.com...
edit on 7-7-2015 by WillLik because: added link

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

There are several training areas around Shaw AFB, including a low level training area. If the Cessna pilot didn't check the NOTAMs and wasn't aware R6002 was in use, he could have flown into it while the Viper was using it for low level training.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Still no word on the person or people on the Cessna, but it looks like it came down in a rice paddy.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

That's exactly what I was thinking and worry about.

Back in the day when I was learning to fly here in OKC, I was so scared of our local AFB that I always made a point to stay as far away from it as possible. I know this happened a long way from Shaw, but just throwing that in there.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: voyagerboy

Uhm, that was a movie. Any pilot that would try anything like that wouldn't make it long, and would probably not even make it to an operational unit before being caught and drummed out of pilot training.

Flying like that is a sign of poor judgement, and you don't want them flying any type of aircraft, especially a high performance fighter.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The F-16 has claimed 84 pilots in 359 accidents?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh I know it's a movie!
But I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot was doing some hotshotting. Happens a lot I bet...

VB

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

They had a lot of engine problems in the 80s and early 90s, as well as quite a few GLOC accidents. The Viper was one of the first aircraft that could pull more Gs than the pilot.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This couldnt have ended very well for either plane. Pilot of the F-16 may have had time to eject, I guess that would depend on how bad of a collision. Man what a terrible accident, Just flying along, and Booooom. I hope everyone is OK.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: voyagerboy

Not as much as you think. They may sometimes out on the ACM ranges, when they own the airspace, but only if they can do it safely. Low level takes all your concentration, and if you get distracted for a second you can fly into the ground.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

The Viper pilot was able to eject, and was taken to an area hospital in good condition. The fact that they still haven't said anything about anyone on the Cessna probably means they didn't make it.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I frequently flew my Bonanza in the vicinity of the Green Mts in NH. There was a good deal of military training that went on there. I'd frequently get calls from ATC alerting me to F16's, 135's, and A10's maneuvering in the area. You'd be amazed at how hard they are to spot at low altitude. And even at reduced airspeeds they are coming at you very quickly. As long as everyone is where they're supposed to be and doing what they said they'd be doing all is okay. It's when someone deviates or stops talking that it gets dicey.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

In the last years of the F-4 Wild Weasel program they started pairing F-16s with the F-4s to train up the Viper pilots. The F-4 crews HATED working with them, because when they'd come off the target and have to rejoin they could almost never find the F-16 visually because it's so small.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

There's a reason that it is known as the "Lawn Dart".

Funny that this happened today. When I was leaving for work this morning I saw two F-16s. They are not that common around Western Pennsylvania.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The NTSB has confirmed two dead on the Cessna. The F-16 pilot was taken to Joint Base Charleston for a checkup, but had minor ejection related injuries.

The F-16 pilot was identified as Major Aaron Johnson of the 55th FS.
edit on 7/7/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The F-16 pilot was performing routine instrument training, so may have been relying on ATC for traffic reports. The Cessna had just taken off, they think headed to Myrtle Beach.

They still haven't recovered the bodies of the people on the Cessna, but have recovered personal effects from them.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
wow, you would think the F16 could detect a near by plane?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join