It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pension problem politicians wont address

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

I don't know if I would fully blame the average person for the same people getting elected every time. This is Chicago. My grandparents voted republican until the day they died. Ever since then for some reason they have voted democrat...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: torqueythepig

Yep, the unionized employees have to negotiate a contract -- the appointed positions don't.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Even the unions are not safe from this. At the top of the unions are people who are not subject to the same requirements and stipulations as the people they represent. If all the pension money from each of these abuses was returned to the pension bank the crisis would not be nearly as bad. It may still exist to some degree. In fact I am certain it would. But it would be better, perhaps even manageable, if not for the intentional abuses inflicted upon it.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I feel so bad /s. We worked from 1970 til 2007 and retired with our union retirement. Plus social security. Wall Street and their friends just could not stand for that to continue. God forbid, someone else gets to live a life free of struggle for a few years before they die. That is all this philosophy of busting unions is about. Just like the wars, you all will follow their lead and believe you are helping yourself.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Personally, I am not interested in busting up unions. I just want to curb the obvious abuses to the system and try to put that money back in the funds where it belongs so more of the people who worked and paid into that system can benefit from it, union or not.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Just to show you dont know what you are talking about, why would you want to "curb" my husband's union? He was a union laborer, you or no taxpayer ever paid into his retirement. He did every paycheck, plus health insurance that you or no one ever paid a dime for. He traveled from state to state, job to job for over 40 years, at our own expense. But your type cant stand to reward real working people because you feel slighted and left out. And Wall Street could not steal our retirement in 2008 because our union had it protected in a trust fund in a bank.

Not all unions are bad. But that is the impression everyone has because of the hate for government employees.
edit on 9-7-2015 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You might want to go back and re-read that post before you go slapping Vroomfendel around that way!
The post clearly said "..curb the obvious abuses to the system and try to put that money back in the funds where it belongs..."
How could you be in favor of abuses within the system? To deny that system abuse exists is just nonsensical. I really don't see anyone advocating union busting.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I did read it. Too late about that sheriff. Nothing can be done about the 1%. But something can be done about PUBLIC PENSIONS and public policies. Go to local meetings, vote for the right person, speak up. Every time public pensions become the issue, the conversation devolves to include all unions. I intend to set that straight. Scott Walker and Jeb Bush have said all the key words and now it is workers who will to be blamed for our problems.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Personally, I couldn't care less about unions. My concern is the abuse pensions have suffered from people who should know better. If your pension has been spared that abuse, good for you. If it hasn't, oh well. You are your pension can just live without the money in your pension fund. Obviously you don't care.

We all work hard for our money and our pensions. Not just unions.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Just to show you dont know what you are talking about, why would you want to "curb" my husband's union? He was a union laborer, you or no taxpayer ever paid into his retirement. He did every paycheck, plus health insurance that you or no one ever paid a dime for. He traveled from state to state, job to job for over 40 years, at our own expense. But your type cant stand to reward real working people because you feel slighted and left out. And Wall Street could not steal our retirement in 2008 because our union had it protected in a trust fund in a bank.

Not all unions are bad. But that is the impression everyone has because of the hate for government employees.

wake up, its a way of modern life, no one looks after you, you got to look after yourself. why do i say this, because in the 60's my father was in front of the barrels of pit fire at christmas time yelling for higher wages, why because no one buy farm equipement at christmas so they timed the strike at that time, even a 6th gradeer new something of Bs was happening. everyone is in cahoots , face reality

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19553636]musicismagic[/post

Yes, I know the conservative vision for the future is non existent. Let us just keep going back. You go there. We need unions.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Is someone, like a political party and their voters trying to steal yours? You would stand and fight then.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Of course I would. But that is off topic. Its not about people trying to break up unions of defund pensions. Its about people abusing pensions with last minute raises that grant them full pay in retirement, something the system was not designed to afford.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I believe that is not addressed because when they implode tax payers will be the ones paying for the defaults.

Isn't that the way the government works? tax payers to pay for the mistakes of the so call political leaders.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
yep, the sheriff here in McKinney texas is months from full salary retirement....

We haven't heard much from McKinney since the "pool party". Can you give us an update! Were there anyone charged and how's the police officer who quit? Or is this another layer of corruption?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Who makes these rules or laws to allow that? Is he an elected official? In my state the sheriff goes in front of county commissioners to get anything through a budget. Sorry if I misunderstood. Scott Walker has me on edge, cause if he wins the presidency or issue, it will be very bad for laborers and their pensions.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Its not so much laws that make it possible as no laws that prevent it. In the example I cited the Mayor and Police Chief are good friends. When the chief was ready to retire the mayor made sure he got a fifty percent raise which granted him the equivalent of full salary during his retirement. His pension, like so many others, is based on his salary the day of his retirement. That's all it takes to cheat a pension fund. Now the village has to pay his full salary, and the full salary of the new chief - who will end up doing the same thing. That is one reason why the taxes keep going up but the services don't improve. The same services cost more and the previous services are still being paid for. Pensions were not designed to work like that. And the people abusing those pensions know it. It has to be stopped but the people with the power to stop it are the ones doing it. So, nothing changes except the taxes...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I agree this is abuse and cronyism. No system is perfect and I agree laws should be instituted to stop abuse. But the political climate is for less laws, especially with cronyism. The banking system is cronyism, i.e.

Our laborers union hired an independent agency to manage our pension through a trust fund. That was how we dealt with cronyism.
edit on 12-7-2015 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Corruption is most certainly not gone at the federal level.

Corruption is ubiquitous and cannot be eliminated.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority; still more when you superadd the tendency of the certainty of corruption by authority."

-Lord Acton

The whole quote from Acton is rarely cited.

An excellent quote by Acton. I never knew the full line.

The problem is greed and corruption and does not exist just at the public level.
When we opened up our markets with a communist country where workers have no rights and moved our industry infrastructure there, it was a matter of time before it was a race to the bottom for everyone.

The pensions would not have been a problem if it were not for the globalist utopia we find ourselves in.

Everyone is being asked to take a paycut except for the ones that have power in government or have money to buy our government such as the Multinational Corporations like Big Pharma and Insurance.

The Multinational Corporations like the ones that put together the TPP have no skin in the game and want everyone else to pay for their policies. They should be charged 90% tax and have it distributed to all citizens, not government.

With the TPP, Corporations will be able to sue governments for lost profits.

In that case, Citizens should be able to sue the Multinational Corporations for lost jobs and wages that their policies have impacted upon.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join