It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pension problem politicians wont address

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I too like cheese and brats, but I hate the Packers. Soooooo.

BEAR DOWN!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

It also happens at the state and federal level. The primary culprit is public sector unions and the general nepotism inherent to any bureaucracy public or private.
Just look at Greece.

It does NOT happen at the Federal level. Hell it's hard enough to get anything other than the one percent COL increase. Other raises come on a specifically defined system of time frames and increase amounts, with the time in between increasing over years.

It's damn near impossible to go outside that schedule, certainly impossible to do so in the manner described in the OP. Union, non-union, nepotism (almost gone at the federal level now) aside, it just doesn't work that way. There is no avenue to randomly give someone a raise.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
We in Kentucky feel your pain. Our retirement system is one of the worst in the nation and yet the legislators just keep kicking the can down the road while talking like they are doing something.
www.kentucky.com...

The Dims bright idea was to borrow money to invest.

The Democratic-led House approved a bill to authorize $3.3 billion in "pension bonds" for teachers. The state would borrow a huge sum at relatively low interest rates, funnel the money to KTRS and hope that agency could make a profit by investing it on Wall Street and elsewhere. Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

The Repubs stopped that but took no action before the session closed.

The Republican-led Senate criticized that plan as too risky and replaced it with a proposed task force that would study the "problem" of teacher pensions. Some lawmakers want an overhaul of the system before borrowing money to prop it up, saying its benefits are too generous. Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

So we remain in jeopardy of having state retirees and teachers having their pensions diminished further.

www.bloomberg.com...

Kentucky’s pensions haven’t been fully funded since fiscal 2002, Thielen said. The state has confronted budget deficits in the wake of the recession.

So, having failed to act, they do exactly what pols always do---appoint a task force to "study" the problem. Now, it's not like this is a new problem, it's been there since the '90s and has been debated in the legislature for well over a decade. But the gov thinks it needs more study.
www.richmondregister.com... 74091536b9f.html

Our legislators regularly jump into appointed positions when approaching retirement to boost their retirement pay. I don't see a way of curbing this since they are the ones voting the perks for themselves.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Corruption is most certainly not gone at the federal level.

Corruption is ubiquitous and cannot be eliminated.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority; still more when you superadd the tendency of the certainty of corruption by authority."

-Lord Acton

The whole quote from Acton is rarely cited.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

would that village be melrose park or cicero? lol we are in trouble!!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

would that village be melrose park or cicero? lol we are in trouble!!

That I could understand completely !!!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
they don't call it crook county for nothing!!! an argument my friend who works for the state makes is that he pays into his pension and they shouldn't screw him on it, i am not that knowledgeable on the subject to say one way or the other.
edit on 7-7-2015 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Downstaters are getting tired of it. One mistake that the crooks in Chicago made was demoing the highrise slums along the lake (for friends) and forcing the inhabitants to flee south with their crime and drugs--not that Chicago would miss them. Down state cities such as Danville, Champaign-Urbana, Springfield, Mattoon and Peoria are feeling the burden. On a visit last summer to my former home, I heard one fellow refer to Illinois as the state as the "state of Chicago."

yup...it's the poor with their crime and drugs that are screwing up Illinois, if only they had wealthy people that live in Chicago, and somehow move all those poor people to...oh...Mississippi, maybe....I know, let's have designated states that ONLY CONTAIN POOR PEOPLE!!!....that way everyone else does not have to see them, be around them, or have any contact with them....we can set up these states for low-wage jobs, dirt-floored shantys to live in , low-cost food stores to buy rice and beans......instead of sending those jobs to china, we can exploit that labor on our very own shores, and never have to see the great unwashed....WHOS' WITH ME!!!
edit on 7-7-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

It's called redistricting. Bankers, landlords, legislators, they are all with you. Herd the unwashed masses in ghettos.
I think science has shown that one of the contributing factors for our big brain is because of cooked food. I don't know what people think being poor is.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

It wasn't one of those two, but wow, yeah I could see it happen there. Hell, cicero might have invented it...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
yep, the sheriff here in McKinney texas is months from full salary retirement....

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: Aliensun

They can attend the town halls and records are available, or can be made available. But the powers that be simply don't address the issues. You can vote them out but the people who replace them most likely wont do anything about it either. At least not until they have taken "their share".

It's sad because it truly is all about "their share" taken in selfish greed.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Public government worker unions don't give a raise to their employees right before retirement...

The people in government that get these shady deals are "non-exempt" employees, appointed employees and are non-union represented.

Yep, usually the top dogs in the city and state government are NOT union. It's the DMV worker, the park ranger, the welfare office worker that's union.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I found that if you get enough cheese, brats, and beer in your system you can find yourself watching a packers game and not even realize you were doing it...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Public government worker unions don't give a raise to their employees right before retirement...

The people in government that get these shady deals are "non-exempt" employees, appointed employees and are non-union represented.

Yep, usually the top dogs in the city and state government are NOT union. It's the DMV worker, the park ranger, the welfare office worker that's union.

In Massachusetts each citizen owes roughly $50,000 to public worker salaries and pensions.

That doesn't count what each citizen owes for federal workers but, my guess is that the total every American is on the hook for is somewhere around $120,000 per head, perhaps much more.

I understand that you want to defend good people doing what they believe is just a job but, it isn't that simple.

In my opinion, we neither need nor can afford to subsidize so many people who produce no discernible contribution to society.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Raise the taxes. Problem fixed. We need government workers. And they pay taxes and contribute plenty. They keep the wheels turning or we would be middle east chaos.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Raise the taxes. Problem fixed. We need government workers. And they pay taxes and contribute plenty. They keep the wheels turning or we would be middle east chaos.

This is a very common misperception of the nature of public servants, their cost, and the "trickle down" excuse/explanation.

Obviously we disagree on whether having RMV workers is what differentiates us from barbarians.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

You know, I've heard that argument all my life---61 years and counting---and yet I've never seen it work that way. What I've observed is that government is addicted to other folks' money and will find ways to spend every dime they can collect from us and then go borrow more.
It makes think of the old saw---The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results.
One of the prime examples is education. We've thrown more money at education in the past three decades than any country on the planet and watched the results plummet as the pupil/teacher ratio dropped and the administration/pupil ratio skyrocketed.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You are correct.

Everyone from lieutenant and above are non-union at the police department I worked for.

That includes the commanders, deputy chief, and chief.

It's not uncommon for the non-union members to get 10% raises on a somewhat regular basis, while we received none for years at a time.

edit on 8-7-2015 by torqueythepig because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2015 by torqueythepig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Chicago has a $100 billion shortfall in pensions, if only it were millions. The "average" person keeps electing these scumbags, so yes they are at fault.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join