It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pension problem politicians wont address

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I live near Chicago. If you are familiar with the area you know that the pension crisis in Chicago and Cook county is going to implode soon. No one seems to be able to solve this problem and whenever anyone mentions cutting pensions the state supreme court steps in and says oh no you wont. So its a big stalemate and nothing is changing.

There is one aspect of the pensions that politicians wont address and I think most people don't even know exists. Within the bylaws of most communities there exists means of correcting these issues but they are never pursued.

Here is one example of the issue that is helping to create a huge deficit in pension funds:

The police chief of a small nearby village was about to retire. He made $80,000 per year. Two weeks before he retired he was given a 50% raise to $120,000 per year. He then retired. His pension is based on his salary at the time of his retirement. His pension was 2/3 of his normal salary. In other words, thanks to his friend the mayor, he will retire and continue to make just as much as he did when he was working.

If every local and state budget were affected by this scam over and over again there would never be enough money to cover the costs. Why is this never addressed? It would be very easy to search the records and determine who got the big bonus raise prior to retirement and revoke it. That would add millions, if not more, back to the pension funds over night. And these are not the big corporations, these are the local small town officials that live down the street. Everyone is screwing the system, not just the 1%.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Chicago politics at its finest.

This is one reason the rest of us in Hellinois HATE Chicago. I sure wish we could split the State in two at I-80.

North Hellinois and a South Illinois.

Southern Illinois would be in great shape if it wasn't for Cook county robbing us blind!

But alas, we will never get rid of the blood sucking vampire that Chicago is...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I agree. I would like to see Chicago become its own state. Leave the rest of the state to itself. Most of Cook county wants nothing to do with Chicago. It really is a cess pool. And you are right. That is Chicago politics at its best.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Yes, this is one of if not the major disconnects that threaten to bankrupt cities and towns everywhere.

It also happens at the state and federal level. The primary culprit is public sector unions and the general nepotism inherent to any bureaucracy public or private.

Just look at Greece.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Cook County, Illinois.

Definitely a Progressive paradise.

Big debts and garbage bond ratings.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Exactly. Even when seeing the end result happening right now in Greece they still refuse to change. That is sick.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but in the early days of communism, my understand that there were citizens' oversight committees that saw to it that the public officials did not root too deeply into the public trough. Evidently, that system was circumvented, but it sounds like a novel idea...electing people from local and national machines to properly govern obviously isn't working. It is time to for the people to take charge. No revolution is necessary, merely some folks acting on their own behalf. Can lazy Americans do that: Attend a town hall (electronic) meeting once a week to sort through what is being done to them by elected and appointed officials?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

They can attend the town halls and records are available, or can be made available. But the powers that be simply don't address the issues. You can vote them out but the people who replace them most likely wont do anything about it either. At least not until they have taken "their share".

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I can't find it on the googles, but I heard a story that Chicago was originally in Indiana. Can we give it back?

Maybe do a "knock, drop and run"?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Hahaha... I love it. But we would probably end up at war with Indiana... They aren't going to like having a burning bag of dog poo dropped on their doorstep...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: Aliensun

They can attend the town halls and records are available, or can be made available. But the powers that be simply don't address the issues. You can vote them out but the people who replace them most likely wont do anything about it either. At least not until they have taken "their share".

I had an interesting idea that I haven't really fleshed out completely, the deprecation candidate. It could be a bad idea once fully explored.

Simply put, the idea is to get elected for a position with the express intention of eliminating that position as soon as possible.

"Vote for me as dog catcher and I will not only fire myself but, completely divest the office itself."

I think it holds promise.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Downstaters are getting tired of it. One mistake that the crooks in Chicago made was demoing the highrise slums along the lake (for friends) and forcing the inhabitants to flee south with their crime and drugs--not that Chicago would miss them. Down state cities such as Danville, Champaign-Urbana, Springfield, Mattoon and Peoria are feeling the burden. On a visit last summer to my former home, I heard one fellow refer to Illinois as the state as the "state of Chicago."

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This kind of story is quite irritating. If the records are public, I suggest we look into this kind of practice for our own city officials and then post it to Facebook so a wider audience who does not educate themselves on their own is aware of these shenanigans, thereby provoking the masses to anger. Public outrage on the local level is the only way to stop this type of crap. Sign me up, just tell me where the records are.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So its the working man fault country's are going bankrupt, yea lets go after a couple millions while the corporations steals billions and don't pay any taxes

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

That would be like leaving a lit paper bag of s*** on Indiana's porch for them to stomp on.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
So its the working man fault country's are going bankrupt, yea lets go after a couple millions while the corporations steals billions and don't pay any taxes

No, it isn't the working man's fault, it is the public sector unions and any and all officials who have scarfed up every last penny at the expense of working men and women.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

I can't find it on the googles, but I heard a story that Chicago was originally in Indiana. Can we give it back?

It was Wisconsin, the border was changed to give Illinois access to lake Michigan.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I agree. I would like to see Chicago become its own state. Leave the rest of the state to itself. Most of Cook county wants nothing to do with Chicago. It really is a cess pool. And you are right. That is Chicago politics at its best.

I would like NYC to become it's own state. Upstate NY sends so much of it's tax money there it is horrendous. People in NYC also get weird tax breaks upstate does not: New York City child and dependent care credit
New York City earned income credit
New York City household credit= you own a home and can;t be claimed on another's tax return
New York City school tax credit
New York City enhanced real property tax credit- you own a home and make less than $200,000 a year

These are above and beyond any similar credits given by the state and the federal government and can add to your refund. I think the only 'extra' credit given by the county I live in is a reduced property tax based on my income. It used to come as a rebate check, now comes in the form of a discount.

edit on 7-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

No, is not the working mans fault that countries are going bankrupt. But, this type of scam is at least partly responsible for the pension crisis. I don't know what kind of finances you are used to dealing with, but any time I can stop a waste of millions of dollars or more - its worth addressing.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Majestic Lumen

Damn...I like Wisconsin...good cheese and brats....I hope we can keep the supply lines open once the war starts...lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join