It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird mystery: Thousands disappear and abandon eggs, nests on island off Florida's Gulf Coast

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It looks like the birds are the canary in the mine shaft to me.

My opinion of what happened is that the "Dead Zone" on the bottom of the GOM just reached up with a methane gas bubble to create the same type of dead zone above on the surface of that island.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
North American bats are going extinct from something called white nose syndrome.They have no idea what is causing it.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yule C Mann
It looks like the birds are the canary in the mine shaft to me.

My opinion of what happened is that the "Dead Zone" on the bottom of the GOM just reached up with a methane gas bubble to create the same type of dead zone above on the surface of that island.

Problem with that theory is the birds aren't all laying there dead...they're gone.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
North American bats are going extinct from something called white nose syndrome.They have no idea what is causing it.

They know what it is....they just can't stop it. Once it hits an area it kills 90% of the population.

"The disease is caused by the fungus Pseudogymnoascus destructans which colonizes the bat's skin. No obvious treatment or means of preventing transmission is known,[6][7] and some species have declined >90% within five years of the disease reaching a site.[8]"

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Yeah....it was 10's of thousands of birds in a very short span of time. I don't think snakes could do that....maybe over a year or something, but these just vanished.

If snakes, they would have found large piles of fecal matter with bird parts all over the place.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yup truly odd. They tested for new chemicals and diseases that came back negative. They also looked for new predators none where found. This worries me a little more. A bunch of birds leave their nests unguarded and nothing steps in to take the free meal? It's like they said a "Dead Zone".

The birds have been gone for a little while now. I wonder if they know where they moved to. That might help shed some light on the problem. But I've never seen anything good come after animals book-it from an area, for no man made reason.

Yep. I would be interested to see if other animals have disappeared as well. They noticed the birds quickly because this is a place biologists flock to at this time of year to study them.

If other species went the way of the birds then I would really be wondering what is going on....actually I already am being that those concerned are all people who have been studying this area for decades.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: intrptr

Their wording is really dramatic though….saying that all the birds left all at once in May and that the largest bird colony on FL's Gulf coast is now a Dead Zone…

Did they migrate? Sometimes for whatever reason, their cycle gets messed up and that years migration is delayed for whatever reason so they may abandoned their nests or chicks. Could be because of food supply or timing, weather, whatever. If they arrived late in the season and started nesting late that could explain it. Sure its a dead zone, they all left.

Not unheard of.

If whatever they all ate dried up, then yah, they have to move or die.

Sure, but when the biologists that keep the area up think it is odd then I would think it really is odd. If this had happened before then there would be no cause for alarm it would seem. They seem alarmed.

But, have we been keeping records as long as birds have been around? They have instincts we have no clue about, but, did they leave because the fresh water is bad, or drying up? We could use some animal instincts ourselves or we should go the way many species have gone before us.

I think they have been keeping records on this area for around a century so this is definitely a very strange occurence.

It is a pretty large even every year for these biologists and bird watchers to go see....

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

originally posted by: ObjectZero
a reply to: spirit_horse

That would be a lot of effort to just scare off some birds that will most likely just move some place else near by.

Not necessarily. Birds that are used to a closed island are used to quiet. A couple a$$hats walking around shooting a 12ga. would be quite a startling event. I just figure since contaminants, food, and water sources have been checked and found noting wrong, it is an event related to the location itself. I am sure the FWC would know if a predator like a python made it to the island. I haven't heard of the pythons swimming across the sea to islands, but I suppose it is possible. The problem in the Everglades is from pet pythons released or escaped during hurricanes, etc.

I double checked the water temp' around the area and it's only about 2 degrees above normal. There isn't any kind of crazy spikes that might cause fish to move some place else hot or cold.

Some birds flew to a nearby island. So the food sources are not the issue and the biologists and FWC have not found a problem (see above).

No seismic activity as well in the area. Some further south but we've had that be for and the birds didn't move for that so I don't see why they would now.

The EQ's happen at such low seiszmicity in Florida that most Floridians are not even aware Florida has any EQ's. I am not sure < Mag 1 even shows up unless you look at the monitors themselves. Which was my point. EQ's aren't an issue here.

Trouble is, the area is protected and shut down to public during the nesting time. Apparently highly patrolled. I can't imagine something like that scenario happening and nobody noticing or hearing it.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Its pretty weird. In tsunamis or major earthquakes the birds are generally the first to go the other way. So who knows, but its worth keeping tabs on to see if anything or what happens, or happened.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
OR the reason they have left is not clear to us yet, but might become clear to us in the coming weeks. Something they sensed is coming, but not yet known to us.
(remember this little emoticon? It was the one that shook with nervousness. TOO FREAKING bad we don't have it anymore. Yeah, S.O. I'm talking to you. : ! :

I wish someone who posts picts easily would put this one up. I would, but for me it is an enormous ordeal, and nerve wracking experience.

www.ocala.com...

People need to see what magnificent creatures we are talking about if they didn't click on any of the links.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
When you search google for disappearing birds it's seems to be a trend going on.

In this case I wonder if there is for example an algae bloom explosion going on (this in itself is related to global warming > acidification of the oceans where algae can thrive) .. or was going on killing allot of fish and other species.
www.usatoday.com...

america.aljazeera.com...
edit on 7-7-2015 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is such a shame! such lovely birds, and a real tragedy they had to leave their nests and eggs. Quite disturbing. I hope the cause is discovered, and it's something we can remedy, if it's our fault, however it is something we might never be able to determine.

Rez, I wish you would weigh in on the 'methane gas' suggestion some one made. I remember you once mentioning that the gas is odorless, or in some cases there is a sort of a 'rotten egg' smell, which can be dangerous. Do you think there could have been a bubble of the 'rotten egg' smell the birds got a whiff of, sensed danger, and took off? (I remember you mentioning somewhere else that Florida has tons of it).

Just curious.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
This is such a shame! such lovely birds, and a real tragedy they had to leave their nests and eggs. Quite disturbing. I hope the cause is discovered, and it's something we can remedy, if it's our fault, however it is something we might never be able to determine.

Rez, I wish you would weigh in on the 'methane gas' suggestion some one made. I remember you once mentioning that the gas is odorless, or in some cases there is a sort of a 'rotten egg' smell, which can be dangerous. Do you think there could have been a bubble of the 'rotten egg' smell the birds got a whiff of, sensed danger, and took off? (I remember you mentioning somewhere else that Florida has tons of it).

Just curious.

I think it just kills with no warning. From what I recall reading his threads, there is not a whole lot of time between it erupting and death....he said it would take birds out of the sky, so if that were the case then there should be a lot of dead birds around.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

That's scary! I didn't realize it was that deadly, that quickly! *shudders*

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Now the fact that they say there is no indication of disease, contaminants, or predators to blame is really concerning......

The media has been complicit in the past in under-reporting the level of dispersants in the Gulf, in particular corexit, and it has already been linked to damaging effects on bird eggs (Effects of Corexit 9527 on the hatchability of mallard eggs), it begs the question if this is yet another environmental fallout of the gulf oil spill and use of chemical dispersants.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I found another article about weeds. I'm now leaning to thinking that they are 'connected' Not in the way that We are all connected but connected/connected.

conservationmagazine.org...

This is that same general area.

namaste

Edit: About halfway down it addresses that one theory is the pressure on the aquifer. We not only NEED water but We ARE water...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: added a thought.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I'm curious if it's only birds as well.

Doesn't really sound good either way though.

From the Fish and Wildlife site on Seahorse (Cedar) Key:

Blustery spring days don't keep birders indoors along the naturecoast. The Seahorse Key rookery is in full force from March 1st through June 30th; therefore, the island and 300 feet around it are posted CLOSED for that time period. Parent birds must fly to freshwater sources to find fish that won't dehydrate their offspring. They can be seen coming and going throughout the day as they hunt for food.

Source

So that makes me wonder if there is something going on with the freshwater sources around there in FL? Anyone know of any volcanoes or anything in the area that could be disturbing the freshwater supply?

How about all the runoff from those lush, chemically-manicured lawns, golf courses, and the almighty sugar cane industry? I can't imagine any one cause was solely responsible for this possibly unnatural die-off, but the term dead zone is usually associated with hypoxia, particularly as it relates to marine ecosystems and that is singularly related to nitrogen encouraging eutrophication and, ultimately, depleting the available oxygen. The above mentioned are the main culprits to aquatic dead-zones, so it stands to reason, that they may have had a hand in play with this marine ecosystem failure.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Their wording is really dramatic though….saying that all the birds left all at once in May and that the largest bird colony on FL's Gulf coast is now a Dead Zone…

Did they migrate? Sometimes for whatever reason, their cycle gets messed up and that years migration is delayed for whatever reason so they may abandoned their nests or chicks. Could be because of food supply or timing, weather, whatever. If they arrived late in the season and started nesting late that could explain it. Sure its a dead zone, they all left.

Not unheard of.

The weather here was insignificant. It's the "for whatever reason", that still leaves this a case to be investigated. What could possibly happen to make them ALL leave, and leave their babies behind. It doesn't fit the pattern of natural migration processes.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Not unheard of.

Sure, but when the biologists that keep the area up think it is odd then I would think it really is odd. If this had happened before then there would be no cause for alarm it would seem. They seem alarmed.

Ah Vasa, it sure is something how Inteptr and all the other ATS resident experts sure have a handle on everything, despite the fact that the real experts on the scene seem to be perplexed by the situation. I love reading these threads nowadays when member after member speaks so confidently of what they believe the cause of every strange and unexplained event that pops up on the pages of ATS, even disregarding what the expert geologists, biologists and geophysicists have said about it and how it remains a mystery, but not to our resident experts. Gotta love it! It's what ATS has become over the past few years since I joined this fabulous forum...a bunch of know-nothing know-it-alls who have an answer for everything...even the unanswerable! For me, I'll listen to what the real experts on the scene have to say about it...that it remains a mystery, unexplained, strange and it will remain that way until a definitive explanation is given...which may never be!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Note to self: Never ask Rezlooper a question again. He finds inquisitiveness and speculation a waste of time and annoying.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join