It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we see a slimmed down version of the Xbox One?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Microsoft are planning to release a new slimmed down version of the Xbox One.

That's according to new reports that claim the tech giant are looking to get a new model on the market, along with developing ideas for te Xbox 2.

Stor y

So far it is only a rumor. I have thought about this and a slimmed down version of the Xbox One would make a lot of sense. I will getting a successor to my Xbox 360 at Christmas. Really I feel for its sheer size I wouldn't be getting that much in return with a Xbox One. At least from my Kiwi stand point PS4 and Xbox One bundles are around the same $600 mark I really do have make a informed/careful choice with how I spend my money.

A cut down version of the Xbox One that was a straight gaming console would be worth looking at. Get rid of voice commands and so on. Drop the price $100 and Microsoft will be on the right track.
edit on 7-7-2015 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

The Xbox one isn't that great. I wish I hadn't bothered buying one.

Keep the money!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

Thanks for the tip. I think that I will opt for the PS4 come the Xmas or the Boxing Day sales. To stay on topic , do you think the Xbox One under delivered in terms of what Microsoft promised?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I didn't really know what to expect, I thought it would be a good buy after seeing the demos and reading reviews.

The games seem to come out across most consoles so Xbox one games seem to be slightly upgraded versions of the 360 games, as are ps4 games upgraded from ps3.

I bought FIFA15 and Advanced Warfare. I haven't bought any other full price titles, I downloaded Black flag for £20 from Xbox gold - which BTW took all day to download. Good game, slightly better than the 360 graphically.

I would honestly keep your money just now.

Just to add - Xbox gold is murder to use at peak times. Rule out playing during the evening or w/ends if you want to try and maintain A. Connection, B. Parity with the other players during multiplayer games.
edit on 7-7-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

do you think the Xbox One under delivered in terms of what Microsoft promised?

I think Microsoft delivered the product they wanted to deliver , unfortunately they wanted a box that was all things to all people and forgot their core customers were gamers who just wanted a gaming machine , hence the essential Kinect system turned out to be not so essential and a version of the XBone was delivered without one.

Microsoft committed the cardinal sin of not listening to their customers , gamers want performance more than they want Netflix and gimmicks.
I'm a PC gamer but if I wasn't I'd by a PS4 ... it's a games machine.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I have had my XBOX 1 since launch. And i love it. The first 6 months with it was the hardest because there was literally nothing in the line of good games to play. An i really missed my 360.
Now there are a few good games, by November there will be some major titles hitting the shelves.
I belong to the preview program for XB1 so i have backwards compatibility already available for a few games.
Come the fall the rest of the market will be able to use this feature as well.
So if you want to keep your 360 games, you can trade the 360 console in to get a credit off the already low price of $350 CDN.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think this time next year it will be worth getting one, even now there's still not a huge number of must-play games on it. But give it another year, the console will be cheaper, and there should be a slightly better library of worthwhile games.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I love my xbox one.

Witcher 3 has been a blast to just watch cause my wife is hogging the system...lol
The backwards compatibility coming out with windows 10 makes it a sure thing for anyone who owns a 36o now and wants a better gaming system come Christmas.

The only downfall I have seen so far has been an occasional glitch that requires me to do a hard reset on the console, but other than that, I love it.

A slimmed down version would be cool, but I like the one I got..lol
(although the camera system I disconnected shortly after buying the complete package due to people being paranoid about it..lol and honestly, that part of it isn't all that great)

Morpheus is going to be coming out on the ps4 though around Christmas time so I might have to consider a ps4 just for the VR headset if Microsoft doesn't produce something by Christmas along the same lines.

For those who are not impressed by the graphics, what are you comparing it to?
After playing a few games such as Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher3, I am at a loss as to what system produces better graphics other than a really high end computer. (ps4 and xb1 pretty much are the same as far as graphics from what I have seen)
Just yesterday I was looking at all the strange things on the ground in Witcher 3 and realized, so far I have NEVER seen that much detail in any console gaming system. The ground looks like ground.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Why did microsoft have to make it so confusing?
Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox 2?

Can't they just learn to count! Hell, they are even skipping windows 9.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've quite enjoyed my Xbox One's (yes, more than one).

I've been wanting to add a 3rd to the house, but haven't yet done so...maybe I'll wait.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes they WILL come out with a slim version. They obligated themselves to do it by creating a console that is already 7 years outdated.

It's been what three years since the Xbox one was released? The games that are released have to be downgraded to be able to run stable on the platform. Xbox one only runs at 900p mostly at 30fps excluding some exclusive games. The system is already at full capacity and won't last another three years on the market.

I have my XBone and am content with it. That is it content, not thrilled nor excited to what's to become of it because I know it won't progress any better than it is.

I don't have Internet so there goes 3/4 of the system already that almost demands that you have Internet to even start a user profile.

By far in terms of usability the 360 is way ahead of the Xbox one. It can do everything the Xbox one can do except play blue ray. The games on the Xbox one aren't even that much better quality than the 360 maybe some smoother textures and the ability to have better draw distances that is it.

If I were Microsoft I would spend a couple years developing two slim consoles. The first one would be the media device with a slightly upgraded system and more user feedback. The second console to be a dedicated gaming platform with a high performance ram and cpu upgrade with everything stripped besides blue ray and some downloadable apps. Possibly throw in a dedicated upgradable ram that only Microsoft can provide. Include some game quality customization like that on pc where you can change the frame rate, draw distance, resolution, etc. This would make it possible to upgrade to a 4k resolution.

What one do you think will sell more? The cable box or the actual gaming platform?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

The witcher was completely downgraded from its original video quality. I love the game and still play it every day, but after paying attention to the game and watching the landscape and overall playability... The witcher is actually horrible.

I recently picked up borderlands remake for my Xbox one and those graphics blown away any native Xbox one game. Resident evil REmake that was on GameCube has graphics that are about the same quality of the Xbox one.

It's sad really if you pay attention to the half A**ed games that are coming out now plagued with bugs and unsteady frame rates that dip when you're just walking forward. The most noticeable ones I have played are assassins creed unity and the witcher which both have HORRIBlE frame rates and glitches.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Well I enjoy it,(the graphics) but we are still early into the systems too.

I agree Witcher does slow down, I did notice that.
I guess I am just easily appeased/amused...lol

I'm still waiting for a good flight sim. Maybe an Ace Combat game for xb1.
Those were great titles that I spent many many many months playing.

Honestly, I am waiting for VR for these new systems,
then no one will ever see me again...rotfl
edit on 7-7-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I love the witcher it is by far the best RPG game in a long time. I put in like 300 hours into it now pretty much running around going to all of the markers on the map on hard. Still haven't got around to beating the game yet and don't want to. There is too much of the game that will lose its meaning if I beat it.

Another game that I put a lot of hours in when I first got it was Dying Light. That itself is a highlight of next gen.

I just wish they would start making games that are you know....good. I noticed that almost every game besides racing and sports now require you to kill something. Even the kids games you have to kill something. Really the only exception is zoo tycoon and farming simulator.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

The gaming console for sure. I think the media center is a good idea through. Really I just want a straight gaming console. The PS4 is closer to my wishes then the Xbox One is by a fair way.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
I just wish they would start making games that are you know....good. I noticed that almost every game besides racing and sports now require you to kill something. Even the kids games you have to kill something. Really the only exception is zoo tycoon and farming simulator.

I have been thinking along the same lines. Game developers have really missed the boat. Games like SimCity are absent from the Xbox One and PS4. A game like Sid Meier's Pirates is also missing.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Pirates is a good one!
I have it on the pc and have played many versions of it.
it can be very addictive when you start getting greedy.

Also Sim city, but they would have to make a new version for the gaming systems because the older ones are outdated although fun still. I was playing sc4 yesterday for a little bit.

I have not tried the new version of simcity, but it doesn't look worthy of an xb1, that much I do know after almost buying it for the pc at one point. An upgraded SC4 would be cool, I'd buy it.

And if they do another Sims, I'd buy that too. Hopefully as the systems age the games will become more diverse and we will see some of them or something similar. I'm actually rather enjoying minecraft on the xb1. I like to build and tinker with stuff though and people either love the game or hate it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Yeah, there is a lot of fancy but crappy games these day. It was even that bad on the 360.
I think skyrim has gotten more of my time than almost any other game I have ever played.

But even then you are killing something somewhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

My favorite all time game was on the pc called Titanic:Adventure Out Of Time.

If you haven't heard of it and love a great exploration game with an actual story then I highly recommend it. It's a bit outdated(1997 I think) but it was way ahead of its time. It had subtle violence cues and murder scenes and some where you will die yourself. As a kid of about 7 at the time parts of the game(music specifically) would scare the S*** out of me.

There was another game that I loved but I cannot remember the name of it to save my life. That one scared me to no end too and was too young to actually beat it. Even had its own alphabet with riddles that you would need to cross reference the glyphs to complete.

top topics

join