It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the aliens?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

originally posted by: Harte
IMO, you should look to your own education.
Specifically, the difference between an abstract (free) and a paper in a scientific journal (paywall.)

Harte

So now we have to pay some third party to deny ignorance?!!?

You need to get a grip man...this "requirement" invalidates the purpose of the scientific journal. and makes a laughing stock of the whole "peer review" process...not that it's particularly valid anyway...

Er....

Well, it costs money to create a scientific journal. Uncle Sam won't do that one for you.

Harte

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye
What Universe are you referring to? Ours? And what is the name of our universe?

How many galaxies are in a universe?

It doesn't matter...there can be only One.

Are you forgetting the lexical importance of the word "Universe" and its Etymology? Even after all of your distracting nonsense, there is still only one universe...by definition.

Course then you start t go on about galaxies; which has absolutely n bearing on this since we are talking about how may fundamental particles there are, and how many ways can they combine...which is the only criteria acceptable orusable here.

As you can see by the above, the odds for your conclusion being valid become as significant as a fly's fart on a windy day, on Saturn.

So, as any logical, thinking person can easily see; my computation of the probabilities is perfectly valid, and is the only usable information available.

Personally, I find the above to be complimentary in nature. I am not bound by the thinking of a system that is quite closed minded, as you have pointed out. I find the entire institution of "Higher" learning to be filled with the same corruption that has infiltrated every other aspect of life.

Which system would that be? While I suppose the scientific method may seem "closed minded", I can assure you it is not...Scientists just don't accept any ole notion as fact; we require data to evaluate.

So...tell me...just how is it being deliberately ignorant? Your words strike me as the words of a person who has extreme difficulties learning, thus through frustration you condemn those who are educated, and their educators. Seriously bad form!

edit on 20-7-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Specifically, the difference between an abstract (free) and a paper in a scientific journal (paywall.)

Harte

You need to get a grip man...this "requirement" invalidates the purpose of the scientific journal. and makes a laughing stock of the whole "peer review" process...not that it's particularly valid anyway...

Er....

Well, it costs money to create a scientific journal. Uncle Sam won't do that one for you.

Harte

Just a couple of things here Harte...

1, that site, paper publisher...was French. Uncle Sam has nothing to do with it. By the way; most important papers I read were published both on a website devoted to making many papers free, and then of course there is the University associated with the scientists who wrote the paper...again free.

2. It only serves to show how much the dollar has invaded, and perhaps corrupted science. When I go looking for data, knowledge, I try to find Whitepapers...they aren't the artificial penis stretcher the "scientific Journal" is, the data and information they contain is usually rather self evident. And the best part; they're free.

Unfortunately, like most of ATS, you have invested in the myth of the "peer reviewed" Scientific Journal paper...that is if that journal publishes what you want to read. Meanwhile the rest of industry and science gets by on the whitepaper, like it always has...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Hm... last I checked, those were microwaves, y'know being higher in frequency than radio waves and all. But if you're saying I can tune in Coast to Coast AM as I cook the chicken leg, that'd be all the more impressive.
edit on 7/20/2015 by Kojiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kojiro

Hm... last I checked, those we microwaves, y'know being higher in frequency than radio waves and all. But if you're saying I can tune in Coast to Coast AM as I cook the chicken leg, that'd be all the more impressive.

Okay...you can stop being willfully ignorant, and deliberately obtuse!
It is a stupid child's game, and truly unbecoming any semi-mature person of any intelligence.

Alternately, why don't you try to explain just "how" electromagnetic radiation (radio) is not electromagnetic radiation simply because its wavelength is shorter.

You should stick with the first option...it is at least possible (in theory).

Seriously...do you understand that you are trying to claim that electromagnetic radiation is no longer electromagnetic radiation based solely on its wave length.

Or are you simply hung-up on the words?

You truly need to understand that; if I were to manually pulse a current through a wire, there would be electromagnetic radiation...the very same kind of electromagnetic radiation that is found in Gamma Rays. It will obey the very same physical laws, it will behave just as Maxwell, Tesla and others have predicted, the only difference between my week long cycle and a gamma ray will be power density, and wave length...they both will remain electromagnetic radiation.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Wait... wait. What.

"The very same kind of electromagnetic radiation found in gamma rays?" Dude, gamma rays are the highest spectral band of electromagnetic radiation. You're trying to claim that all electromagnetic radiation is "radio" because radio waves are the lowest band. That's like saying that when I'm turning on my lamp, I'm turning on a radio.

You're being silly.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Wait... wait. What.

"The very same kind of electromagnetic radiation found in gamma rays?" Dude, gamma rays are the highest spectral band of electromagnetic radiation. You're trying to claim that all electromagnetic radiation is "radio" because radio waves are the lowest band. That's like saying that when I'm turning on my lamp, I'm turning on a radio.

You're being silly.

More like a doctor making photos of broken bones with an infrared-ray machine.

Harte

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

"The very same kind of electromagnetic radiation found in gamma rays?"

Okay...explain why the math is identical. All of the theory, all of the math, all of the observed behavior...identical...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Wait... wait. What.

You're being silly.

More like a doctor making photos of broken bones with an infrared-ray machine.

Harte

Did you know that it is possible to get a complete blood analysis by "shining" a laser on the back of your hand? Its a technology developed about 10 years ago, but doesn't appear to have worked out...but does appear to be used in forensics...

And, if you reduce that infrared to the terahertz range...we can image your bones.

edit on 20-7-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: taoistguy

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: taoistguy

The usefulness of liquid hydrocarbon fuel is based on universal chemistry.

If you had to pick out a design for safe portable energy and given the periodic table & chemistry textbook, you'd come up with kerosene.

what do we know of universal chemistry???

Did you know that science in general, and, quite specifically chemistry; is indeed "universal"?

Earth is not a special place where the laws, axioms, theories, etc. of science are different from everywhere else.

Of course, but our primitive human understanding is not very universal.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Harte

Er....

Harte

Just a couple of things here Harte...

1, that site, paper publisher...was French. Uncle Sam has nothing to do with it. By the way; most important papers I read were published both on a website devoted to making many papers free, and then of course there is the University associated with the scientists who wrote the paper...again free.

You don't much look into any scholarly papers, do you?

Free ones are old ones.

Besides, if you think Phage's linked abstract was French, you didn't read past the first lines on the page.

The entire abstract is right there - in English.

2. It only serves to show how much the dollar has invaded, and perhaps corrupted science. When I go looking for data, knowledge, I try to find Whitepapers...they aren't the artificial penis stretcher the "scientific Journal" is, the data and information they contain is usually rather self evident. And the best part; they're free.

Recent papers, again, are not free - usually.
Like I said, it costs money to maintain a scientific journal. They are still printed and they still pay the employess that create them.

However, if you are associated with any legitimate scientific group, you can usually get them for free.

originally posted by: tanka418Unfortunately, like most of ATS, you have invested in the myth of the "peer reviewed" Scientific Journal paper...that is if that journal publishes what you want to read. Meanwhile the rest of industry and science gets by on the whitepaper, like it always has...

I prefer peer review to Tanka418 review.

Harte

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: taoistguy

The usefulness of liquid hydrocarbon fuel is based on universal chemistry.

If you had to pick out a design for safe portable energy and given the periodic table & chemistry textbook, you'd come up with kerosene.

what do we know of universal chemistry???

Did you know that science in general, and, quite specifically chemistry; is indeed "universal"?

Earth is not a special place where the laws, axioms, theories, etc. of science are different from everywhere else.

Of course, but our primitive human understanding is not very universal.

And when science said nothing could live beyond a certain temperature, when they found creatures living by the thermal vents in the ocean they were proved wrong.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Indeed...all I get are http:500 errors. That's an internal error on the server. Typically thrown when data is not available.

So...if you say it's there...okay...I can't see it.

No...only 3 - 5 papers a week...depending on what I'm working on. Lately its been rather a lot of Astronomy. Exoplanet detection, spectroscopy...and of course the software and libraries associated. Seriously man; you should pay attention.

Oh yeah...I right from time to time...mostly metaphysics...way beyond you.

Recent papers, again, are not free - usually.

Yes...they are...depends on the source...someone who wants to disseminate knowledge / data, or someone who only wants to make money.

Like I said, it costs money to maintain a scientific journal. They are still printed and they still pay the employess that create them.

However, if you are associated with any legitimate scientific group, you can usually get them for free.

And because of the journal's marketing they are somehow "better" and their data more accurate? Dude they're selling you a bill of goods, and you are buying it hook line and sinker. Go that way if you like, I will go mine and arrive at any "destinations" long before you.

I prefer peer review to Tanka418 review.

You would do well to pay attention, and not let your bias get in the way.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

And when science said nothing could live beyond a certain temperature, when they found creatures living by the thermal vents in the ocean they were proved wrong.

Can you quote "science" saying this?

Harte

edit on 7/20/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Indeed...all I get are http:500 errors. That's an internal error on the server. Typically thrown when data is not available.

So...if you say it's there...okay...I can't see it.

No...only 3 - 5 papers a week...depending on what I'm working on. Lately its been rather a lot of Astronomy. Exoplanet detection, spectroscopy...and of course the software and libraries associated. Seriously man; you should pay attention.

Provide a few links to these recent and free papers, will you?

originally posted by: tanka418Oh yeah...I right from time to time...mostly metaphysics...way beyond you.

Do you know what "metaphysics" means?

By definition, it is beyond everybody.

Regarding peer review, I suppose we should have "no review?"

Imagine Christopher Dunn's delight.

Harte

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Can you quote "science" saying this?

Harte

No, but I can't be the only one who remembers the reporting of the discovery with the shock of scientists having to rewrite their books.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Provide a few links to these recent and free papers, will you?

arxiv.org...

arxiv.org...

bulldog2.redlands.edu...

Regarding peer review, I suppose we should have "no review?"

Yes...regarding peer review; you should try placing it in a logical and proper context. You might also try understanding just "what" a peer review actually is...as contrasted with the whitepaper. You could also learn how things are done in the scientific world.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure I did in the following sentence. Do you have reading disability?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Maybe we are the last Planet capable of life as we know it. Maybe all the others have died long ago.

You only have to look here on this Earth to see how this can happen. We, us Humans, in 200 years have raped this Planet and depleted a vast % of it resources. Shocking, absolutely Shocking.

this might be our 2nd, 3rd or 4th try at human civilization. there is no one on earth who has figured out how 2500 ton solid rock building stones were formed or moved...here's some stones carved and place with a little less weight, but still impressive...
manvsarchaeology.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure I did in the following sentence. Do you have reading disability?

So I take it that is a: "No I don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I'm just contradicting you because I can."

You are avoiding the question, and deliberately trying to confuse the issue...solely because you can not admit you don't know...sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join