It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING! Beware America austerity is coming when a GOP president is elected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You are exactly correct. Nail on the head.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Farlander

It just seems so symmetrical

The first Bush starts the Iraq mess and the second reignites is and makes it 1000 times worse that produces the scam artist Obama between the 3rd Bush (the 3rd antichrist if you will) to bring us to the train wreck of destruction: They set up ISIS, Iran, the Russian cold war again, problems with China and the 3rd Bush and the neocons he will bring aboard (a continuation of the 2nd Bush) will likely bring about WWIII

The writings on the wall!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

No but how about PRODUCING things again in America

These financial wizards who run the fed and their QE scams have curtailed what made America great: PRODUCTION…Real wealth.

They did this with trade deals like NAFTA AND THEY’LL READY TO MAKE IT WORST WITH Obama’s TPP…

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

With all due respect that about too many IT people is not the case.

If anything they don’t have enough of them

I've been in it since the Apple Lisa

I grew up with the Apple IIC IISE IBM ps2,Novell, Wise, Compaq, NEC, Commodore, etc… I've seen it all in IT and saw the wages go down when they made the jobs scarce and cheap with foreign IT workers

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Bilk22

No but how about PRODUCING things again in America

These financial wizards who run the fed and their QE scams have curtailed what made America great: PRODUCTION…Real wealth.

They did this with trade deals like NAFTA AND THEY’LL READY TO MAKE IT WORST WITH Obama’s TPP…
QE did nothing for most Americans. QE gave the banks more Monopoly money to place at risk at our peril. The too big to fail law will crush us all once the bubble busts. It will give the Feds the lawful right to pretty much wipe out anyone with cash deposits. It was probably planned that way too.

That QE money wasn't put to work in the economy. It was used to bail out foreign banks, It did nothing for the US economy. It also went into the stock markets where nothing is really produced. Yeah it's supposed to be used as investment funding for expansion of US businesses, but do we really see that at all? The markets are exponentially over book value and when a correction occurs it will be catastrophic and huge amounts of wealth will vaporize. It will be way worse than 2008.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Willtell

Hillary is going to be anointed Queen.

I think she prefers the title Queen B**** of the Universe, thank you.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

They could raise taxes and cut spending in many different places. The term austerity does not define what these are.

If I were to do it in the USA I would cut taxes to 0 on anyone making below 30k and have a progressive tax bracket for the rest boosting the rate on the top .5 percent. Raise tarrifs on imports and leave export to 0. Cut government spending in defense DOHS, NSA, CIA all need cuts. That's an example of austerity that could be used.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Sure, I agree that we could cut taxes and spending in Congress----if we had a different Congress---one where the members actually have to do their own monthly budgets. But we don't have THAT Congress so I just don't see it happening. If we had leaders in government they would be leading by cutting expenditures but I don't really see that beyond Rep. Rand Paul turning over portions of his office budgets.

It seems to me that CONgress is more interested in handing out freshly printed money to banksters so they can play poker with money that we're on the hook for. (Yeah, I haven't gotten over that "bail-out" or all the money expended in QE infinity that simply disappeared into the black hole of bureaucracy and bankruptcy of failed start-ups for political favorites.)

I'm told by folks who have worked in the field of taxation that with each removal from the local tax, a minimum of 15% of totals are "lost" to administrative costs. For instance if I send $100 in taxes to the Feds, they keep $15 before they boot it back to the state in the form of grants, then the state takes another $15 in handling fees before they kick it back to the local level. Seems to me that's a very inefficient way of doing business, getting only about 60% of actual value for tax expenditures.

What I'm interested in is seeing what Europe has tried, what has worked and what hasn't worked? Have they done what you suggested?
I realize that Europe isn't the US but at least we could look at what did and didn't work. So what measures did the EU take that could be characterized "massive and pernicious austerity " in today's Europe?

Believe me, I understand austerity on the personal level. I'm thankful to have been raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression and knew how to "make do" with basic income levels. I'm thankful they taught me to plan for the future and save a bit of each paycheck. But if the government decided to go into the "hair-cutting" business and begins trimming savings----all planning of all people goes flying away with the winds. And that is for those who actually did plan for retirement. What on earth will happen to those who have no savings and are trying to make ends meet on Social Security?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

And YOU are worried about he economy...silly.
DON'T forget WOMEN in COMBAT!
That would thin the herd nicely.
All he has to do is start it with our debtors.
We did it for FAR less in Vietnam.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

I'm told by folks who have worked in the field of taxation that with each removal from the local tax, a minimum of 15% of totals are "lost" to administrative costs. For instance if I send $100 in taxes to the Feds, they keep $15 before they boot it back to the state in the form of grants, then the state takes another $15 in handling fees before they kick it back to the local level. Seems to me that's a very inefficient way of doing business, getting only about 60% of actual value for tax expenditures.

If we go to a flat tax not only will all rich man deductions disappear, but the 50k people that work for the IRS will be reduce to about 3 people to manage it...lol

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Hey, I'm all for a flat tax. That seems the only fair way to tax people.
I'm all for abolishing the IRS. It's just another scam named "Service" to deflect attention from their real intentions.
I'm all for abolishing the Education Department and leaving education to the states since they are the ones actually doing the work of educating.
I'm all for abolishing the EPA and leaving environmental protection to the states since they are the ones actually handling the problems.
I'm all for abolishing DHS since they ...have proven themselves useless (to put in a way that doesn't violate any ATS policies).

But I'm realistic enough to know that these things won't happen because a lot of people make millions of dollars simply by lobbying CONgress to keep these departments afloat.

If they were sincere about austerity, moves to approach that state would be to abolish all political parties and confiscate every dollar they hold and all accounts held by Political Action Committees. Shortening the election cycle to 30 days would be a good first step in campaign reforms. Confine all political media ads and debates to the 30 days prior to elections. If cigarette commercials can be banned so can political ads. Politicians are far more dangerous to our health than a few ciggies!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

But I'm realistic enough to know that these things won't happen because a lot of people make millions of dollars simply by lobbying CONgress to keep these departments afloat.

If they were sincere about austerity, moves to approach that state would be to abolish all political parties and confiscate every dollar they hold and all accounts held by Political Action Committees. Shortening the election cycle to 30 days would be a good first step in campaign reforms. Confine all political media ads and debates to the 30 days prior to elections. If cigarette commercials can be banned so can political ads. Politicians are far more dangerous to our health than a few ciggies!

Kind of like having a large State Government foot print and a small Federal foot print...

We don't take laws off the books we do not reduce Government. We do not reduce the inflated administration in education either that sponges up about 10x what all the teachers are paid. This would mean people would lose high paying low producing type jobs, it might kill cronyism and nepotism that plagues many parts of our state and federal governments and those people will fight to the death to protect that.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yes, full agreement from this house.

I suppose that "austerity" means different things to different people. For those accustomed to having their every need and desire met by others, austerity would mean loss of a private chef, driver or personal shopper. Being forced to fly economy rather than first class would probably qualify as "austerity" rather than having to give up your personal transportation because your Social Security check will no longer cover the cost of taxes, license, maintenance and insurance of a vehicle, or even a home for that matter.

I've often contemplated the possibility that we could enact laws that would force legislative bodies to spend equal amounts of time repealing laws rather than constantly passing new ones.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I've often contemplated the possibility that we could enact laws that would force legislative bodies to spend equal amounts of time repealing laws rather than constantly passing new ones.

There are also different types of austerity than leaning out luxuries for public workers....

1. Many public type jobs are not needed or way over paid, as I suggested in the educational system, but that is one area of many.
2. Many people have a entitlement attitude and look for anyway they can gain the system to get something for nothing.
3. Self interest in politics cost us trillions.... Pork barrel is all about adding to bills to get money into a reps area of influence that has nothing to do with the bill in the first place. You want me to vote yes on the war, build a bridge in my district...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

I predicted you response

You predicted a personal fail. That doesn't require the gift of prophecy, friend.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Amen. I saw it firsthand on a local basis about 10 years ago. Our county had been run by a bunch of good ole boys for far too long. When they attempted to pass an illegal tax (our Commonwealth has pretty strict laws on local taxing issues) on us, several of us stood up and said "No" which brought cries of "we'll have to cut services." Those of us who protested got together and decided to find some new blood to run the county. We managed to elect a guy who wasn't one of the crowd to the office of county executive.
He appointed a group of us to look at the budget and figure out what we thought could be cut. None of the committee members were born with a silver spoon---six of the eight had been single Moms/Dads at some point so penny-pinching was a way of life.
Five "consultant" positions were combined into one, saving the county about $100k/year as a first step. That may not sound like much to those used to dealing in millions but to a small county government, it was quite a windfall. All it took was simple common sense and a willingness to do a bit of work and research. Cutting the "coffee fund" and "flower fund" for six county offices saved the taxpayers another $10k since we saw no reason that the employees of those offices couldn't buy their own coffee and flowers. Of course the vendors of the coffee and flowers weren't very happy with us!
The city that is the county seat didn't make any such changes. Their government went on their merry way like the bubble was never going to burst. They are currently in a bad way financially, facing the cost of their water/sewer services being doubled and taxes have increased the maximum amount every year since 2008 while our county officials have been able to hold the line on taxes and fees. In addition we've seen increase in revenue as city folks leave the city because of the high costs of living there as opposed to the cost of living in the county.
But that sort of cutting of spending takes a lot of time and effort, something most public servants aren't willing to expend.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'm not an expert, but we are 18 trillion in debt (would stack to the moon and back), 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities, isn't austerity needed? The banksters are going to own us if we don't get our debt under control, if it's not already too late.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy
Austerity is what the financial elite want. Nevermind about unemployment, falling wages or the outright human suffering caused. Just make sure the bills are paid and our investments are safe.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
a reply to: beezzer

Beez,

You come out on the conservative side of every argument, to support corporations against the common man. I have been on this site for years and have watched it over and over again, guess the Koch brothers are writing you a check every month.

I wish!

And yes, I don't support, will never support "government solutions" be it from the left or the right.

Beez, the corps are going to take advantage every time, if you have ever worked for a large company you know that. The Repubs only want to protect the rich and F everyone else, I have mine now you get yours. I have a hard time believing how many hard working, mostly underpaid, people they have got believing this crap. You have some guy in West Virginia making 12 bucks an hour, and he is a repub? Someone please explain this insanity to me.

I'm making a little bit over $12/hour....but I'd probably still fall into your category. Why am I a Republican? Well, I'm really more libertarian in my leanings, but I voted Republican last time. Why am I not a Dem? Because, quite frankly, I'm freaking sick and tired of my tax money going to pay for generations of people on the public t*t. I have a friend who works for Welfare Services...and the stories she tells me about who qualifies for and who benefits from my "taxes at work" make me sick. Sure, I agree there are people out there who legitimately need assistance now and then...and I have no problem supporting a system put in place to TEMPORARILY help people. But there are families on the dole who have been on the dole since their grandparents' time...it's more profitable than trying to make a living and contributing to society. In order to receive welfare/food stamps/ANY government assistance, these people should have to, somehow, pay back......but do they?? UMMM NO.

The Dems are all about "social justice" and "social equality." But that just means sucking the working class dry to pay for the classes that don't work.

Sorry...rant over...I just get frustrated because I work hard and pay my taxes and have saved and saved for retirement...and what's going to happen? I'm going to get squeezed out - they'll probably gut my 401k to bail out somebody. The economic pyramid in this country is way out of whack. When they "take from the rich and give to the poor" because it's "the right thing to do," the "rich" will have fled the country and it'll be the working stiffs who end up paying the bill.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The GOP is the gateway to doom.

Philosophy wise they are just too close the oligarchs

People complain about tax money

Soon you will be subject to being on welfare and food stamps as the people on them now you blame and hate

Then you will understand.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join