It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING! Beware America austerity is coming when a GOP president is elected

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Austerity To Cost U.S. Economy 2 Million Jobs By 2019: Study

Austerity isn't just hurting the U.S. economy right now -- the damage is going to last for many years.

A new study by the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning think tank, estimates that today's austerity measures are going to leave the U.S. economy with 2 million fewer jobs and $433 billion less in economic growth by 2019.

"We are forgoing investments in new technology and in the technical skills and productivity of the U.S. workforce that drives economic growth," CAP economist Adam Hersh wrote in the report. "In other words, as a result of fiscal contraction and the acceptance of a protracted economic recovery, the potential for the U.S. economy to grow is shrinking."

Another recent think-tank study, by the Brookings Institution, found that austerity had already cost the U.S. economy more than 2 million jobs since the recession. The CAP study suggests those jobs are not coming back for at least six years, if ever.

The reason for this is that the anemic recovery has left too much of the economy's valuable resources idle: People and factories aren't working, when they could have been. As you can see from the chart below, which was produced by Hersh and the CAP, the U.S. factory sector has still not gotten fully back up to speed since the recession. And the job market is in even worse shape, with millions of workers sitting out of the labor market, their skills deteriorating by the day. (Story continues below gloomy chart.)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: beezzer

Honestly what difference does it make?

Lol but seriously I have lost just about all hope in our government and the candidates running.

I'm getting a martini it's going to be a long election cycle.

The madness has yet to even hit the fan.

Elections aren't for 16 months yet.

Yes, I can't wait, the lead-up to the 2012 election was awesome in the political forums - the mods ban hammer was going ballistic. Now we have the political mud-pit, I can see Queen Hills and Jeb coping a flogging as well as the rest of the candidates.

It's funny because it will LITERALLY make no difference who is elected, but its so much fun seeing folks get worked up over the person of choice being criticized.

Like you said, all politicians are 99% feacel matter, 1% unicorn farts.

If they don't have that 1% unicorn farts, then they just stink.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hillary and Bush are the same but they just screw you differently.

Don’t you see they get the Democrats to pass the bad trade bills: Bill Clinton with NAFTA and now Obama with the TPP.

These bills are a bit abstract since they call them trade bills it sounds like they are for free trade but they are and have been actually sops to the elite corporatists and take away millions of jobs from the US and allow them to move jobs to slave wage countries

So the dems screw you indirectly

The Republicans on the other hand screw you directly

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
As someone who is in the MFG industry, I highly recommend going and getting a job as a Machinist/Engineer/Applications/Design. There is a shortage now of premium talent and it's not looking any brighter in the future. Schools have focused so much on IT in the past 20 years that most kids these days don't even know these jobs exist. You can easily be making 25-35/hr with little training and even more if you get into engineering. If America is to ever get out of this debt and build herself back up, we need far more skilled trades workers. Especially considering that the vast majority of those in these fields are baby-boomer's and will be out of the field entirely in less than 10 years.

Let me add this tidbit. If you think that Greece and its policies are aligned with the GOP principles, you need to go do some research and learn the difference between the parties because that couldn't be further from the truth.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I would seriously expect better from you, like the republicans have ever cared for anyone who wasn't writing the big checks?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

When Bush took office the economy was in a nosedive. Clinton had inherited a surplus, something rare in our economy. By the end of his second term it was all but gone and even he knew he had to start making some deep cuts to still have any surplus left at all when he left. He barely made it, but the economy was tanking already. That is what Bush inherited. He slowed the nosedive but only to a point. It did get worse. But, you cant blame Bush entirely. (this is the part that the democrats hate to talk about) The last two years of Bush' second term the democrats had both houses, for a while by super-majority. That meant that during that entire time Bush had no power at all. He couldn't pass a law and he couldn't veto a law. The democrats had the power. And guess what? The economy dove even further. Not one law was passed during that time that was not passed by democrats. Not one law was prevented during that time that was not prevented by democrats. Bush and the republicans are blame free during that time. Despite the democrats claims to the contrary, they had the power to pass any law they wanted to solve the economic problems of this country. Unfortunately, they didn't have the ability.

edit on 6-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Lol, you still believe that there are sides.

That's cute.

I don't think he sees that both are sides to the same coin.

We know that no matter who wins Americans lose.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

I would seriously expect better from you, like the republicans have ever cared for anyone who wasn't writing the big checks?

when did I say that?

YOU were the one painting hearts and love notes to the left.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

That's cute.

He knows there is no sides. I read another thread of his he's quite confident the Bilderberg group and the elite that control the world make all the decisions .

Sure they can take time to be blackmailed, bribed, and instructed to do what the elite masters want in order to maintain the world matrix of suffering they maintain The meetings held under “Chatham House rules" ( whatever the hell that is, probably screw the goyim and hide rules) is where they obviously do secret deals and agendas and get to pat each other on the back on how great they are.

ATS thread

edit on 6-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Satan, being the wily guy he is, certainly wouldn't waste time on the Democrats ... he's done better than that by far.

Satan has convinced the Republicans that he is really God: the evidence --

Greed is good.

Individuals should be able to do whatever they want when they want.

War is profitable and all-American.

Guns will keep you safe.

Anyone who doesn't have a job or enough money to live on is lazy and won't work.

Charity is for the weak.

Etc. etc.
edit on 21Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:27:35 -050015p092015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AbstractDreamz
As someone who is in the MFG industry, I highly recommend going and getting a job as a Machinist/Engineer/Applications/Design. There is a shortage now of premium talent and it's not looking any brighter in the future. Schools have focused so much on IT in the past 20 years that most kids these days don't even know these jobs exist. You can easily be making 25-35/hr with little training and even more if you get into engineering. If America is to ever get out of this debt and build herself back up, we need far more skilled trades workers. Especially considering that the vast majority of those in these fields are baby-boomer's and will be out of the field entirely in less than 10 years.

Let me add this tidbit. If you think that Greece and its policies are aligned with the GOP principles, you need to go do some research and learn the difference between the parties because that couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn’t say Greece and its policies and the GOP are aligned

Nothing is further from the truth

I said the GOP and those in the Eurozone who are trying to strangle Greece now are aligned with the GOP policy wise.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AbstractDreamz

I will agree with you, got hurt in 2006, but was a master automotive machinist running my own shop. Schools need to teach these kids the trades, computers are only going to take you so far.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

That's cute.

He knows there is no sides. I read another thread of his he's quite confident the Bilderberg group and the elite that control the world make all the decisions .

Sure they can take time to be blackmailed, bribed, and instructed to do what the elite masters want in order to maintain the world matrix of suffering they maintain The meetings held under “Chatham House rules" ( whatever the hell that is, probably screw the goyim and hide rules) is where they obviously do secret deals and agendas and get to pat each other on the back on how great they are.

ATS thread

Thanks for that

Its ashamed people don’t read closely before they post.

I try to read an op closely before I post so I can understand what the op is saying

Unfortunately many here DON’T READ closely enough

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Beez,

You come out on the conservative side of every argument, to support corporations against the common man. I have been on this site for years and have watched it over and over again, guess the Koch brothers are writing you a check every month.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Can you tell us more about what this austerity will look like? Give some examples?
edit on 06pmMon, 06 Jul 2015 21:35:14 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

I agree with you entirely. The IT field is great, don't get me wrong, but I know a lot of tradesmen and they can write their own ticket right now and believe me, they are. If you are a skilled craftsmen and have some experience you can make good money right now. There are fewer jobs than there were several years ago before Obama saved the economy /sarc, but the jobs in those types of fields are paying very well right now. We are hiring kids straight out of college with a BS n Chem-E between $80-$90 per year.

Per your statements about the republicans being all for corporations and against the little guy, yeah they do like to protect their money. But despite everything they do that is bad, I still think they are a heck of a lot better than democrats. Given the choice, I wouldn't vote for either, and I do have that choice. But if it comes down to a race between a republican and a democrat unless one of them is a real winner, I would vote republican. I really hope there is a better choice though. We need something better and fast.

edit on 6-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Beez,

You come out on the conservative side of every argument, to support corporations against the common man. I have been on this site for years and have watched it over and over again, guess the Koch brothers are writing you a check every month.

I wish!

And yes, I don't support, will never support "government solutions" be it from the left or the right.

link   
I was in the auto industry when they got gutted

I was in the IT industry (and still am) when we made big bucks in the 80’s and 90’s

A system engineer could easily make 120 grand and over a year.

Now there paying them 40 grand!

There sending those jobs overseas.

I use to work for HP and all of a sudden to call support for a client we had to call INDIA or the Philippines!

An Indian guy would come on the line with a thick accent and say “Hello this is George”

Don't get me wrong I'm gland for those countries but at the expense of Americans?

Carly Fiorina was the boss and she is running for president now and when she ran HPP is when I worked there and she sent thousands of jobs overseas

edit on 6-7-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: AbstractDreamz

I didn’t say Greece and its policies and the GOP are aligned

Nothing is further from the truth

I said the GOP and those in the Eurozone who are trying to strangle Greece now are aligned with the GOP policy wise.

My fault, misunderstood you. I don't think the rest of the Eurozone is necessarily strangling Greece, I think they just want the money they have used to prop up the Greek people and their Government to be paid back or at least attempt to pay it back, not have a vote saying "Screw You" we aren't paying you back poop.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

There are probably more trade jobs under Obama than there was Bush, given that historically I was hiring people with masters degrees in 1980, for 8 bucks an hour, for warehouse jobs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join