It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Womens World Cup Finals Poor Song Choice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure how many people in general care about women's soccer or football, what have you; but, there were fifty thousand screaming fans who filled BC Stadium to cheer on the US and Japan teams as they battled for the World Cup.

Now, this is going to be a bit of a rant, but I'm not really enraged, or offended. I'm only disappointed.

Women's sport has never been high on the agenda of any broadcaster, or stadium, and it likely doesn't cross the minds of anyone other than avid fans, women in sport, or proud supportive family members. Even though the women's FIFA league isn't quite the same draw as the men's, Canada was so proud to host the tournament. This is a tournament that women in soccer fought to have for ages, only garnering the honour in 1991.

The women played a great game, world class. Even my soccer snob partner was impressed with how the US dominated Japan.

Then it was over. The players were emotional, the fans were elated. The women line up to receive their hard earned trophy.

This is when it gets disappointing. I'm going to blame the music supervisor at BC Place, who thought the best song to play as these strong, assertive, physically dominating women accepted their accolades was this:

Hey Mama by David Guetta Featuring Nicki Minaj and Afro Jack. This is a song with inane lyrics as such:

Yes I do the cooking
Yes I do the cleaning
Plus I keep the na-na real sweet for your eating
Yes you be the boss and yes I be respecting
Whatever that you tell me cause it's game you be spitting

Best believe that, when you need that
I'll provide that, you will always have it
I'll be on deck, keep it in check
When you need that, I'ma let you have it.

I'm so disappointed in whatever Top 40 minded idiot, yes idiot, at BC Place who decided that a song about women staying in the kitchen and being a sexual being for her man was the best choice as a celebration song for a World Championship women's sporting event.

So disappointed in BC Place. If this was a joke, so be it, but why make a mockery of something these women have worked so incredibly hard for. It truly saddens me.

As a side note, some of the women were dancing around to the song, but they were highly elated. I wonder if they aren't questioning the song choice as well. I haven't seen any real backlash online or on the sports networks. Maybe it's just me.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just guessing:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Unfortunately, I can't even watch your video to laugh at the joke.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

It's the theme from Midway.

Women's sports are important to a lot of people. The thing here is that there's no money in it. Thus little coverage. I think they do a LOT better in Europe though. We try, football(both really
) hockey, curling, etc but there's only 35 million Canadians. Not a big market. It was awesome to host the WWC though.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I loved watching the cup. Great games from start to finish. It's a treat to watch the best go at it. (Gold Cup starts tomorrow!!!)

HOWEVER, I agree it was a poor choice of music. To add fuel to the fire, the announcers got me PO-ed too. The female announcers who had previously played the game were great. The announcers paid to simply add vapid drama into the play by play need to disappear.

Obviously, that type of nauseating announcing is not only in soccer. Pretty much all American sports have it. Why? Thank the Lord for the mute button.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

It was a great game! And all the stuff afterwards was carefully planned propaganda, IMO. Most of the women are obviously gay, and all are great athletes. TPTB know people love sports and especially Americans. So it was a great opportunity to normalize the gay thing, when no one was really thinking about it much...just enjoying the victory. American flags everywhere being draped on shoulders, and lots of celebrating. I didn't notice the music, as I rarely listen to the lyrics of most of today's music. But, that doesn't at all mean that it wasn't intended to conflate emotional impact for people who do know them. I thought it was hilarious how many handshakes and awards there were though. Interesting that the FIFA President, who is currently under quite a bit of scrutiny for the rampant corruption involved in that Org. was not on the dais. Also noticed that one of the major sponsors was Gazprom.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Only 4 of the women on the U.S. team are publicly open about being gay, actually. Certainly not "most of the women". Some could be closeted, but that's not anyone's business in my opinion.

I don't think anyone who follows FIFA expected Sepp Blatter to be there, considering he resigned amid all of the controversy.

Gazprom is a huge sports sponsor, and yes it's probably just as intrinsically evil as any other gas giant, but it takes money to provide the bread and circuses.

top topics

join