It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Psychology Really A Science?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

psychiatry will focus on the neurochemical aspects of illness, while psychology will focus on the trauma that induced the neurochemical aspect.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

psychiatry will focus on the neurochemical aspects of illness, while psychology will focus on the trauma that induced the neurochemical aspect.

Yes, and.... this would be the appropriate point to bring up 'epi-genetics'.

Do you imply that psychiatry is a hard science and psychology is a soft science?

I agree with your distinction (though I think many Pyschiatrists would be hightly offened by your limited definition of their work) on a fundamental level however I don't see how it applies to determining 'real science'.

edit on 9-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

"Real science" really struggles to exist anywhere that money exists. But i'd say psychiatry is more of a hard science that psychology.

I also think that psychology, as a volume of understanding, is still fantastic. Because the mind isn't firm or set, the best you can hope for is general/relative understanding. Psychology as practiced isn't always so good.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You have yet to tell me why psycriatry is more of a science then psychology?

If you are defining it as measureable results or reproducable results clearly psychology (and it's offspring Public Relations, Propoganda and Adveristing) are more accurate and predictable then any experiment with psycho active chemicals.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

because of the wholly subjective nature of clinical psychology.

because of obvious efficacy. pills without counseling has a better shot at success than counseling without pills. especially where psychosis is concerned.

Psychology treats the subjective "feeling", while psychiatry treats the objective neurochemical.

Quantifiable vs subjective measurement.

So on and so forth.

If you are talking advertising,e tc....that isn't clinical psychology. And varies from what i am discussing here.
edit on 7/10/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join