It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megalodon Ancestor? Largest Great White I have ever seen....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ok...this popped up on a news feed and it is HUGE! This may be the largest Great White I have ever seen on film. One comment in the video page asks if this was a Megalodon and it got me wondering if maybe this one was a long lost relative, or is this a new size/species of Great White we are looking at?

Anywho.....check this thing out.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Also, one thing that looked odd to me on this one is what looks like either a second set of gills farther back on the body, or I guess it could be a scar of some sort, but looks very close to another set of small gills just behind the dorsal fin.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The guy that swats at the shark...

That thing is a beast though, really amazing creatures.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Looks like an "average" Great White... about 16 feet or so... they can grow larger, too.

A large, regal beast, no doubt... but no Mega here.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What a magnificent creature. Definitely not the monstrous beast that the movies have made them out to be.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The biggest thing on that video is the guys b@lls or the lady with the biggest b@lls.

Yeah i saw the marks which do appear like gills as well. I wonder if the shark had some birth defect or cancer type disease that caused its size.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The markings that look like gills are scars from when she was mating. The males latch onto the female to stabilize itself while mating. I know this because it's Shark Week and there was a show on last night about it. haha

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

They must stop feeding it, it need a diet. Beautiful though.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Remember the 9' great white that was bitten nearly in half last year? There was a Smithsonian documentary about it where they attributed the attack to a "colossal cannibal great white shark" which though not a different species afaik, seems to point to the existence of some great whites being rather frickin' massive (colossal even) even by great white standards.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I wonder what it's weight was...Looks over a ton to me...Huge, If that Beauty slammed you hard at full speed you wouldn't need to worry about the after mauling. Massive Beasty.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

www.unexplainedaustralia.com...
In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds—which lie in deep water—when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all". These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches [1.06 m] in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as a indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet [90 m] long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood—about 115 feet [35 m]! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish. The local Fisheries Inspector of the time, Mr Paton, agreed with me that it must have been something really gigantic to put these experienced men into such a state of fear and panic."
Rarely seen , and never caught , these sharks must still be around , usually deep and way out.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That there is just a normal sized and healthy female. Bout 18 -20 foot and 3000lbs. If she's mated before then she is about 33 years old.

Magnificent creature.

Some get up to 23 foot plus and weigh in at 5000 lbs. Oh and they can dash up to 35 mph, so good luck outswiming one since people can't do much better than 2-3mph

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
9 Feet is but a baby, this thing would half it in two easily.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
That there is just a normal sized and healthy female. Bout 18 -20 foot and 3000lbs. If she's mated before then she is about 33 years old.

Magnificent creature.

Some get up to 23 foot plus and weigh in at 5000 lbs. Oh and they can dash up to 35 mph, so good luck outswiming one since people can't do much better than 2-3mph

In Great White territory i can run on water if needs must.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It is a pregnant female. The pups are born at about 5' in length. And if I remember correctly they gestate for 18 months and can have up to 10 pups. So, the girth of that shark is probably due to being pregnant.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow, this dude is massive...

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
For proportion:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

LOL!!! Great graphic!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I almost have.

Was weight diving in the isthmus at Catalina island about 10 feet down swimming through a kelp patty when suddenly a dark grey toroedo materialized from ten feet in front of me coming right at my face.

I freeze in fear and at the last second
It turned away ending up to be a sea lion. I figured, sea lion, white shark food, white shark territory, ten feet underwater, in 30 foot water, ten foot visibility...eeeeek-that could have easily been a white shark on sn attack run instead of a territorial sea lion doing a bluff charge at me!!!

Witnesses on shore said it looked like I was hydroplaning on the surface with a giant roostertail of water behind me I was swimming so fast to get back to shore.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Your theory is possible, there's so much we don't know about our oceans.

IMO, it looks like an obese great white shark, not sure I've ever seen one that big. Did you notice that it seemed slow and docile? Normally the great white's I have seen are more "sharp".

This was off Guadalupe Island so maybe there's something going on in those waters in the Pacific which is affecting the bigger players in the food chain.

Or it could be it just got fat and old.

Nice vid though

ETA:

I just saw the post where someone mentioned it might be a pregnant female, that makes sense too.
edit on 6-7-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join