It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man facing charges after Calgary Stampede 'Balloon Chair' stunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It looked just like a scene out of Disney’s “Up.”

Life can be boring at times and this guy decided to do something fun

A man has been charged after attempting to parachute into the Calgary Stampede from a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons, police say.

Daniel Boria, of Calgary, faces one charge of mischief causing danger to life, and police say more charges may be coming.

Calgary residents were stunned when a person appearing to be seated in a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons floated up and over the Stampede grounds.

Twitter users captured the strange sight, posting images of it on social media.

Calgary police said they're still looking into the incident, but said the person landed safely near the Ramsay neighbourhood.
Police called the incident a stunt.

www.ctvnews.ca...

He's very lucky that he didn't run into a flock of birds...!

Even though this prank had an element of danger and stupidity to it, I still find it quite entertaining. I'm just glad no one got hurt and I hope the local police aren't too hard on him.

The first link mentions he may have been trying to promote his business, this is not for sure as far as I know. That being said, that could be a great advertising ploy depending on what business you are in and what kind of clientele you want to attract.

Anyone here willing to give it a try

edit on 6-7-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one
It looked just like a scene out of Disney’s “Up.”

Life can be boring at times and this guy decided to do something fun

A man has been charged after attempting to parachute into the Calgary Stampede from a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons, police say.

Daniel Boria, of Calgary, faces one charge of mischief causing danger to life, and police say more charges may be coming.

Calgary residents were stunned when a person appearing to be seated in a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons floated up and over the Stampede grounds.

Twitter users captured the strange sight, posting images of it on social media.

Calgary police said they're still looking into the incident, but said the person landed safely near the Ramsay neighbourhood.
Police called the incident a stunt.

www.ctvnews.ca...

He's very lucky that he didn't run into a flock of birds...!

Even though this prank had an element of danger and stupidity to it, I still find it quite entertaining. I'm just glad no one got hurt and I hope the local police aren't too hard on him.

The first link mentions he may have been trying to promote his business, this is not for sure as far as I know. That being said, that could be a great advertising ploy depending on what business you are in and what kind of clientele you want to attract.

Anyone here willing to give it a try

I'm surprised this hasn't caught on.Take a parachute and you have cheap skydiving.Plus you may run into a UFO.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hey why not.. you only live once.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Awsome!!!!!!!

Boooo to the police!!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There's a movie called "Danny Deckchair" about this idea. Actually a decent watch.

IIRC, someone else got a darwin award over this idea a few years back- because even though be brought a radio and a GPS, he didn't think to actually learn how to use them first.

edit:
of course the cops will get involved and give him trouble. This isn't explicitly legal, and therefore it's probably against one or more laws.
Innocent until proven guilty my ass, no country with police seems to really understand what freedom means.
edit on 6-7-2015 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Stampede? This should have been attempted during an air show.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Not the first to try it and likely not the last.

darwinawards.com...

1 died the other went to 10k feet but survived if the darwin award site is correct.

edit on 22731America/ChicagoMon, 06 Jul 2015 14:22:20 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I just realized that the comments on the CTV link are quite funny.

Typical Canucks lmao.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

This for example:

Cameron Robb
Although off topic, helium is a non-renewable resource. The world has a limited supply. Something to consider next time you want to have a squeaky voice party or go floating over a major tourist event in a lawn chair.

(one of the comments at www.ctvnews.ca...)

LOL

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Sounds fun, to be honest...

...I'm not sure if being charged is the right response, though? I guess he could've hurt someone, since there was no way for him to plan his landing? Still... it's a bit of a stretch?

...it still sounds fun.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Funny stuff ..Thanks for the laugh....

Surely the police could just give him a small fine and send him on his way,i guess we will find out..

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
the fun police will do as much as they can to inconvenience this person for attempting to practice freedom.

top topics

join