It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This angers me. more flag news

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HolgerTheDane2

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: WUNK22
American flag is flown highest on American soil. I'm a Christian and would never support this disrespectful act. Plus, I don't think God cares much about flags!

However I do believe God did have something to say about worshiping false idols.

Do you see that applying at all in this situation?

You mean as in the commandments?
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"

I'm sure that if the Crucifix doesn't qualify then a flag certainly doesn't.

Who says the Crucifix doesn't qualify?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What makes you think our nations role is under God?

Humility

I nearly spit my tea out...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

😂😂😂😂😁😁😁😁😭😭😭😭😆😆😆😆

I was gonna say why not under Aliens or under the missing link...

But what you said was much funnier.

Gracias.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: beezzer

You seem to be describing yourself.

ETA: Just to be on topic... it's a church, separate from the government as it should be. They have no need to follow flag etiquette, they have the right to make the statement that they place God before country.

Had to quote ya, as your post just pissed me off even more, yet changed my thinking. I feel a bit embarrassed by your statement, but it's a valid one. They are free to do this even if it's disrespectful.

With that said, I'm fine with going to jail for ripping down a flag that flies above our Nations flag. Above anything else, I'm a man with faults.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

We all have faults, we all have things, sometimes many things that we can't silently abide. Many would like to tell us to shut-up, to stop crying, that we're overly sensitive and that PC has gotten out of control. We are humans, imperfect, emotional beings... ironically those types aren't capable of seeing that it happens to them too. I'm sorry to see that you're upset, glad to see you recognize the church's right.
edit on 7/6/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

With that said, I'm fine with going to jail for ripping down a flag that flies above our Nations flag. Above anything else, I'm a man with faults.

Least you are sticking to your guns.
Don't agree with it, but respect that you are not flopping when the situation is personal to you.

The thread I mentioned blew up, 85 flags and ~40 pages all about how it is illegal this and disrespectful that to fly any flag over our nations.
Seems will be interesting if this one gets the same rhetoric from the same people.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If I could give you applause, I would! Well said post.

I don't have to like it though and you're a meanie poop head!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ketsuko

We are a secular nation, god is not over us.

You are quite correct.

God has abandoned the USA.

That only happens when the last believer leaves this nation. I doubt it will ever be that way. Eb and flow. the only thing constant is change.

In my humble opinion,
once Obama said "the US is not a Christian nation, and never has been"
he asked God to leave the US alone and to no longer give the US
any support or blessings.

Looking at headline news over the past 4 years, it is quite clear
that God has honored the head of our nation's request to
leave the US and that God is no longer welcome in the US

I believe that God still blesses individual people,
and individual leaders and individual areas (pockets)
of the US who have invited him to
stay and bless and protect them.

You well know, God does not force himself where he is not
wanted.
The Bible is clear if a leader of a country
asks God to butt out and get out, then he will,
and he has as a nation.
But not for individuals or pockets of the country
where the majority have asked God to stay and
bless.

But the country overall, God has honored the
request of the "will of the majority"
as expressed in recent rulings, laws,
and statements by the current administration
and their supporters.

The God worshiped by the Israelites and
the Christians has honored the request of
the leaders of our country and left the
country as a whole to it's own devices.

And Christophobics should be rejoicing
dancing and feasting at the thought.

This will likely upset you, but that isn't the intent.

This nation was not founded as a Christian nation. Some of the founding fathers were deists, some where Christians, and some were atheists. The deists seem to have had the most influence. They, having a belief in a creator, but not specific on it/his name seem to have used their thinking to include all men. Not just the one's who went to their church. So while I fully believe our nation was founded under God, I think it was all inclusive so as to include all men of faith.

The above is how I see it, not necessarily how history is recorded.

And Obama's opinion on this is just as important to me as most of his other ideas. (just about zero)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Would you please toss up a link?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

So, if I had a flagpole on my private property, and I flew _____ flag above the US flag, you would have no problem going to jail for trespass and vandalism (or theft) by coming onto my property and removing it?

That's not admirable, that's just silly. Sounds like you hold personal beliefs over other people's rights and the law.
edit on 6-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

We've already established that I'm a hypocritical snipface. That was sooooooo, a few pages ago, let it go!

Yes, I'm fine with the authorities arresting me for trespass and property damage for my deeds. Why wouldn't I be? We SHOULD ALL be held accountable for our actions.

I've learned through this thread, I gotta accept when others cross MY red line, I gotta accept it. I also have to accept the consequences of my actions. I'm cool with it all and have enjoyed the conversation.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

and you're a meanie poop head!

I definitely can be that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the thread.

Business flew a mexican flag over the nations and a vet went and cut it down.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: KawRider9
What do y'all think? Is my outrage justified or am I being a big fat meanie head?

I think God is a hell of a lot more important than country. I also believe family is a hell of a lot more important than country.

One nation UNDER God.

Not long ago I posted on FB "God, Family and Country" in that order. Something my father taught me. That being said, I've never seen a United States flag in a church and it confused me when I read the OP. I've also never seen a "Christian flag". That confused me even more. Someone posted about flag etiquette being acceptable to fly a Christian flag higher during a service. So I can accept that I guess. I'm still kinda confused because the concept of the US flag in a church and a Christian flag is just foreign to me.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Most churches I've been in had two flags on free standing metal bases, either side of the sacristy. One was the American flag and the other was entirely dependent on the church. Catholic churches often have the Papal flag, Methodists have their Cross and flame flag, I've seen Baptists use a white flag with a blue square and cross, and Assembly of God has a flag with a crest "AG" on it.

This might be a Southwestern US thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Again, am tired of the offense and the butt-hurt.

Your fanny is constantly raw

You think people should never be offended? Then - why do you keep posting?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

i think it is easier to put it like this:

be offended....but it is low class to talk about other people. So, while someone may be offended, that offense should likely stop there. Because what usually ends up happening is that offense ends up mobilized in a barrage of gossip.

Its asinine, though. It has nothing to do about morals, or right vs wrong. It amounts to nothing more than hens running around the hen house pecking and harassing. It has everything to do with dominance. Its the exact same thing as someone who likes to insult others to get a boost to their own self esteem.

which is interesting to ponder, honestly. In individuals, who is it that tends to build themselves up while tearing others down? I think that is what pisses everyone off about it.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the thread.

Business flew a mexican flag over the nations and a vet went and cut it down.

That Thread was a fun and lively discussion.

I never understood why it was closed ?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

...It has nothing to do about morals, or right vs wrong...

...It has everything to do with dominance....

I think it has a lot to do with right and wrong - it's a process that helps us decide those things. But I agree - it has everything to do with dominance.

How do we ever come to agree on what is right and wrong without the discussion? If the discussion (from trash talk to art) is the thing, then whoever controls speech has the power. A lot of effort has gone into this anti PC movement. All this talk about not being offended is just another attempt at establishing what is OK to talk about. It's just another flavor of political correctness

Is it intellectually dishonest to claim to be for freedom of speech and then tell other people to shut up? Yes - and we all do it in one way or another. We can and do get tired of certain things, see that things get taken too far, become angry about certain things - and even feel offended. We can also go on to argue about any and all of it - over and over again

Seems to me freedom of speech includes the freedom to be offended - and to be able to say so. Arguing in public is our greatest gift. Insults are natural - and expected. Being offended by those insults is also natural. Pretending that words don't (or shouldn't) affect people is absurd

Who is it that's trying to direct the discussion? Who is it that decides who is allowed to feel what - or how they should or shouldn't be allowed to express those feelings? Well - If you can identify that person - you will see who not only understands the power that comes with freedom of speech, you'll also know who is the most afraid of it

the play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king

which is interesting to ponder, honestly. In individuals, who is it that tends to build themselves up while tearing others down? I think that is what pisses everyone off about it.

If it were only about an individual building up their own ego - that would be the least of our worries. If it's about trying to cow groups of people into feeling that they can't express themselves - then I say - have at them

:-)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
Seems to me freedom of speech includes the freedom to be offended - and to be able to say so. Arguing in public is our greatest gift. Insults are natural - and expected. Being offended by those insults is also natural. Pretending that words don't (or shouldn't) affect people is absurd

I agree with part of what you're saying. The listener always has the freedom to take offense, BUT the listener also always has the freedom to not take offense. My point being, it is all on the listener. As the listener, YOU decide whether to be offended and YOU are the one who bears the onus of resolving your personal offense in a personal manner. Nowhere in any of this is the right to demand that others share in your offendedness nor is there any right of expectation directed at the speaker. He (or she) merely spoke words, YOU are the one who applied personal meanings to them.

I'm in no way surprised we seem to be living in an era where speakers are constantly castigated for offending someone. It is running parallel to society as a whole. It reflects the absence of personal responsibility in favor of group-think and group-responsibility. In reality, an individual who is offended by the words of another should do the soul searching required to resolve their own butthurt... but hey, it's so much easier to just blame the speaker and demand that they be the one who changes.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join