It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This angers me. more flag news

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

And Beezer, I respect your opinion but must disagree. I'm not offended by much of anything, but my Country means quite a bit to me and I will always defend it. Raising another flag over our great Nations flag is one cause that makes me infuriated!

If that makes me a "sally", so be it.

I think we grant too much importance to the symbol and not enough importance to what the symbol represents.

It's like Christians and the cross.

My faith is not dependent on the cross.

The confederate flag? Racism will not be defeated by banning a symbol.

I don't mean any offense, but we get outraged to easily and too often nowadays.

I'm just as guilty.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: KawRider9

I've never really understood why they put a flag pole with the US flag in my church. The US isn't a "Christian" country, and my church is an Orthodox Christian church, not an "American" church. But they got the flag in it. Go figure.

Yeah that part is confusing to me. I didn't know that was even a thing. When I drive through town, none of the churches here sport flags. Maybe it's a southern mentality thing? They sure seem to like their flags.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

First Amendment gives us all the right to free expression. What's so different from this to burning, stomping on the flag?

So you support burning the flag?

That would be quite a surprise.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

You're right, the 1st does give us the right to free expression. And these folks are free to do as they are, however, actions have consequences.

I'll be the first one to step up to a flag stomping or burning snipface. I understand the consequences I'll face in doing so, but dammit, some things need fought for.

I guess I might just be one of the butt hurt people I can't stand. I love my Country and this seems over the top to me.

link   

originally posted by: kruphix

First Amendment gives us all the right to free expression. What's so different from this to burning, stomping on the flag?

So you support burning the flag?

That would be quite a surprise.

I support the freedom to burn it.

There is a difference.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Save our anger and outrage for the progressive weasels that'd turn the Constitution into an origami piece entitled "prison rape".

I'm still waiting to hear what the alternative to progress is.
Please Beezzer, enlighten me. What's the alternative to PROGRESS?
Stagnation?
Reversal?

Do you want to try and force your country backward and reject all notions of ever moving forward as a society?

Oh, and BTW, the majority of your country are progressives, given that every new generation moves your society forward.

edit on 6-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Save our anger and outrage for the progressive weasels that'd turn the Constitution into an origami piece entitled "prison rape".

Con is the opposite of pro, soooo.... Congress?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You're right, the 1st does give us the right to free expression. And these folks are free to do as they are, however, actions have consequences.

I'll be the first one to step up to a flag stomping or burning snipface. I understand the consequences I'll face in doing so, but dammit, some things need fought for.

I guess I might just be one of the butt hurt people I can't stand. I love my Country and this seems over the top to me.

If I ever get the opportunity to watch some group burn and stomp the US flag, I will go get whatever flag that group has (or banner or poster) and burn and stomp that right in front of them.

And smile alot.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Selective Outrage...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I think we grant too much importance to the symbol and not enough importance to what the symbol represents.

It's like Christians and the cross.

My faith is not dependent on the cross.

I don't mean any offense, but we get outraged to easily and too often nowadays.

I'm just as guilty.

I totally agree. When talking about an official building or whatever it's one thing because if they fly a different flag it might mean your government is now some other Official Government. But when it comes to private flag waving, it's their right to fly whatever flag they want.

Last I checked the time to worry is when the Government starts flying Religious Flags but not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Stagnation?
Reversal?

Do you want to try and force your country backward and reject all notions of ever moving forward as a society?

Oh, and BTW, the majority of your country are progressives, given that every new generation moves your society forward.

Progressives are as "progressive" as the Patriot Act was patriotic.

Progressives can call themselves rainbow-glitter-unicorns, it don't make them that, however.
edit on 6-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

That's fine.

Just found it amusing that your first post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic and was just a shot at progressives.

Sure works on this site though, already the most stars.

Seriously getting too liberal here.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

That's fine.

Just found it amusing that your first post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic and was just a shot at progressives.

Sure works on this site though, already the most stars.

Seriously getting too liberal here.

Oh, I'll take any and every opportunity to fire that shot, it's just my thing I suppose.

I have to go back and state, though, that this outrage and offense-mentality is infectious.

We all sense it, we all use it.

It's just another aspect of PC bullspit.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

You've just exposed the great failing of the "Progressives".

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
As for the OP, I really don't get why Americans go so mental about a piece of cloth.

Just the other day I was watching some videos from a YouTube celeb and it was pretty funny to see him go from "freedom loving" citizen in one video about the protests over the Ferguson verdict to being ready to snatch a flag from someones hand in the next video, because he didn't like how it was being used.

In the first vid he was saying how great it was to see people using their FREEDOMS to protest, and in the next he suddenly changed his mind about those freedoms and decided he had the right to force his opinions onto someone else because they were doing something HE didn't agree with.

As I mentioned in another thread, a lot of Americans preach about freedom of speech for all, but when it's an opinion they don't personally agree with suddenly they want to shut them up, those freedoms no longer matter.

As an outsider it's pretty strange, but again I see connections here to the tribal mentality.

We have it on a smaller scale in the UK, but it's generally the extremist right who put so much emphasis on symbols - from the Union Jack to the symbolism of their football team.

These are people who see themselves as being a member of a club, their "nation", their race, their right wing group, their football team...

That's what extremism comes down to in so many instance though, the desperate need to belong to a collective group. So often, those outside of that group are picked out as a target and they attack them collectively.

One of the best things we could do as a society is work to eradicate this kind of tribalism entirely and promote the idea that we are all individuals with various things in common.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

a reply to: Sremmos80

No, it seriously pisses me off.

Above being a person of faith, a Mason, a redneck, or whatever, I'm a proud American!

I honestly don't give a damn what flag you fly or even if it's on a government building. I simply don't want another flag flying above the American flag. It's very distasteful and in my opinion, not very "Christian like".

And Beezer, I respect your opinion but must disagree. I'm not offended by much of anything, but my Country means quite a bit to me and I will always defend it. Raising another flag over our great Nations flag is one cause that makes me infuriated!

If that makes me a "sally", so be it.

So...you are a person of faith...but you are fine declaring "Country before God"?

Interesting.

no, not this at all. The US flag inside the United States has a specific set of rules associated with it's display. Today, people make jokes about those who fought and died to keep that flag flying, but to some, it's quite serious. Go ask a soldier marching at the tomb of the unknown soldier. He can probably explain it better than I.
But in the US, no flag is to be flown above the US flag.

www.usflag.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: KawRider9

I've never really understood why they put a flag pole with the US flag in my church. The US isn't a "Christian" country, and my church is an Orthodox Christian church, not an "American" church. But they got the flag in it. Go figure.

Yeah that part is confusing to me. I didn't know that was even a thing. When I drive through town, none of the churches here sport flags. Maybe it's a southern mentality thing? They sure seem to like their flags.

The only explanation I've come up with is that there's a least a couple hundred Vietnam war vets at our church and I think they have the flag in honor of their service.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Stagnation?
Reversal?

Progressives are as "progressive" as the Patriot Act was patriotic.

Progressives can call themselves rainbow-glitter-unicorns, it don't make them that, however.

Who are these progressives? You seem to be the one defining them, but is there a political party in the US I haven't heard of?

The only time I hear the term "progressives" used it's by conservatives, right wing crazies and fanatical Christians. This seems to be an attempt to create a collective group to attack, and it's anyone who wants to disagree with the notion of "traditional values" as described by the same right wing crazies.

Please tell me who these "progressives" are, because you're presenting them as an organized group when I don't think you even know.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
There is an exception to the custom that no flag is flown above the US flag, and that is a religious flag MAY be raised to the top when a religious service is being conducted.

This is the practice in the military, so it's kosher. After the service is concluded the religious flag is lowered or removed from the flagstaff.

To fly it that way all the time is NOT kosher!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

As for the OP, I really don't get why Americans go so mental about a piece of cloth.

The flag is just a piece of cloth. But it's a symbol. The power that symbol has depends on the person revering it. To some, it has no relevance other than just that thing that flaps in the wind, but to the family of a soldier killed in action, it's a reminder of their sacrifice to what they believed in. And I am not here to debate foreign policy or justification for war, only to say that to a true patriot, the flag has significant meaning and that person would die to protect it and all that's associated with it just so those who don't give a # can continue to do so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join