It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fried bologna

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Oh well I don't know. I've always seen it have different packaging. One was a tube and the other was flat like lunch meat. It looks the same. Deep friend bologna sandwiches sound good. Who cares about arteries when you can have that?

ETA: Okay, I got curious and looked up liverwurst lol. I'm wrong. They look the same and look some come in the same packaging as braunschweiger but with a different label. It's the same. Why do they call them different things?
edit on 6-7-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Lol

This is a little off topic. But speaking of hardening arteries I saw something I'm dying to try . Do a search on deep-fried big mac !!!

edit on 6-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of fried bologna. I prefer it like it comes off the roll, with a bit of Miracle Whip and mustard, on fresh, home-baked bread.
It was that very sandwich which caused me to abandon my vegetarian ways back in the '60s.
As a teen I was doing the "search for meaning" that we all go through. I was studying Hinduism and yoga and became a vegetarian. My older brother thought this was hilarious and had six kinds of fun teasing me and trying to tempt me back to meat-eating by holding various foods under my nose----you know---the way brothers do. Every time he would eat a bologna or Spam sandwich he would make remarks (if Mama wasn't around that is---she made him behave when she was on the scene) about how my "religion" kept me on the carrots and lettuce.
Then, about two years into my vegetarian adventure he was waving his sandwich under my nose and it was just TOO MUCH! I snatched that sammy out of his hand and devoured it while he yelled, "Hey, she stole my sandwich. She's lost her religion."

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Holy crap! My arteries feel like bricks just looking at that

Please see my edited post above yours.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Caveat emptor........

If I had to take a guess I would say liverwurst is just the Americanized name . Braunschweiger, liverwurst and baloney all have one ingredient in them that make it irrelevant .

BACON!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Actually, braunschweiger is smoked liverwurst. So, basically the same, just an extra step.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I actually didn't know about the bacon. No wonder I like it so much.
Oh, look between our posts. Yeahright supplied our answer lol.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused at the difference.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It can be a subtle difference. I prefer braunschweiger.

My wife makes a killer braunschweiger ball I like on football Sundays, served with some hearty rye and crackers and of course, beer. It's got a cream cheese coating and that's covered with dried beef. There's onion and Worcester sauce and some other spices and stuff in there, I think. I'm usually the only one who eats it unless we have company, which doesn't hurt my feelings.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We have a local butcher shop that makes their own.

It is vastly superior to anything that comes out of the store.

I never fry mine though. Our son likes his with a big slab of melted cheese.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly You need to put some thick cut slices on the grill, with a bit of Bar-B-Q sauce on the slices. It is better than a lot of different meats.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

That sounds tasty. I like the stuff so much it wouldn't last an hour if I had one lol.

ETA: Would I be sick? Yes. Would it be worth it? Hell, yes!
edit on 6-7-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I haven't had fried bologna in years. Now I want some fried bologna!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I like my fried bologna on fresh white bread with JFG mayo a slice of homegrown tomato and a little salt and pepper. Goes great with chips and a PBR.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Once in awhile, fried baloney is the best.
With sauteed onions....and ketchup.
Potato chips.

Certain brands do taste better....or a local brand makes a ring baloney so you can slice up circles of baloney to fry....YUM!!
It was kind of a special fun meal when we were kids.

Also, fried "coins" of hotdogs....and since we discovered uncured hotdogs, it's all we will buy.
Huge difference in taste.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That sounds good. On a side note: I had a buddy that thought you were supposed to eat the plastic ring that's around the bologna. He was a kid at the time but his mom still teases him about it. Where do you get uncured hotdogs? I didn't know they sold them.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Trader Joe's has them.
Not sure where else, because that is where I found them....

Slightly off topic, but uncured bacon is also better than the regular stuff...and that can be gotten in larger grocery stores.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I'll have to look. Thanks!
I've noticed a difference in taste between bologna brands. I wonder if it's what's used to cure it with.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I thought I remembered Emeril cooking baloney on his show and just had a chance to look for it. Success!

Emeril's brown sugar crusted baked bologna. Throw a big log of that on the table the next time your paleo-diet friends come over just for the scream factor.

It sounds pretty good to me, but based on the comments in that forum, it looks like a love it or hate it thing.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Dang! Just read through this thread and am now starving !!

Don't have baloney, so I shall fry up some chorizo instead.
Might even make hash browns to boot !!

Thanks Skid ...

Nice thread @ Mugly !

edit on 6-7-2015 by Timely because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join